MIL Blue to Green

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dmcgill, Jan 17, 2010.

1. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

I'm thinking about doing the blue to green program once I get back from Afghanistan and my enlistment expires with the Navy. The Navy tries to sell it pretty hard because apparantly advancement is better in the Army, and...most of the time, you'll get to keep your same rank.

I'm trying to decide between two MOS's though...EOD or Infantry. If I were to academically fail out of EOD school would they send me to Infantry school more than likely? Or "needs of the Army"...which are what right now?

Thanks.

2. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

needs of the army

3. burn__

burn__ New Member

needs of the army doesnt automatically mean infantry. there were a few "AIT-bound" guys at OCS that were given a list of MOS's to choose from and infantry wasn't on any of them.

4. Scrooge McDuck

Scrooge McDuck OT Supporter

at least in the Marines you cant be assigned to the infantry by "needs of the corps" you have to be a willing volunteer

5. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

if you did fail out and wanted to go infantry i'm pretty sure your command would help you out with that.

I had a buddy get his security clearance pulled while in language school and another straight fail out - both wanted to go to combat arms MOSs and our command helped both do that, one to infantry and one to a cav scout

6. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Why can't you reenlist in the Navy?

7. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

From his initial post I'd say he wants to switch over because of advancement opportunity.

4-year e-6, holla

8. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

A 4 year E-6? As much as I would love to get E-6 pay in 4 years, I cannot imagine how inept at that job I would be :rofl:

I can turn wrenches with the best of em, but I don't think it would be fair to the people under me looking for leadership. You know... real leadership, not that "deckplate" leadership the Chiefs Mess spews about endlessly.

9. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

X2
    I made E-5 at 5 and wasn't ready for it. The AF thinks a 6 week class on how to write properly will make you a good leader.. I can see an E-6 who just hit the legal drinking age a year prior being nothing but a disaster for the unit.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I enlisted into the Guard under the same program. I can't give any insight into what will happen if you get dropped from EOD, but I can answer any questions you might have about the Warrior Transition Course.

11. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

I'm not thinking about switching because of advancement, I should have worded that differently I guess.

If I switch it's because I want to have a combat job. I volunteered for this IA deployment to Afghanistan with the Army to test myself and see how I like the life/job of combat arms. I did a two week small unit tactics course at the former Blackwater HQ in North Carolina last year and it really got me thinking, because I was good at it and enjoyed it a lot. Sure, you can't compare simunition rounds to live rounds zipping past your head...but you get the overall picture somewhat.

And part of me thinks it would be like a win/win (sort of) situation if I didn't academically cut it in EOD school and I got my second choice of infantry, since I assume they need people.