Blue screen of death problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cory Trevor, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

*Update* So to try and figure this out I decided to take apart all the plugs and plug them in one by one to hopefully weed out the problem. Now when I start it up there isn't any video output. Also, the computer won't turn off by pressing and holding the power button or restart by hitting the restart button. I have to press the power button in back from the PSU to turn it off.

Well for a while my computer was working just dandy until about 2 or 3 days ago. I'd leave my computer on when I was at school and come back and the blue screen of death would be up. After a while it would happen quicker. And now it finally kicked the bucket. I can't start it up at all. It says Windows failed to start up and it gives me 4 different options to choose from and no matter which one I select it freezes and restarts.

So then I take this hard drive(hard drive 1) out and replace it into my brother's computer and it doesn't boot up in his either. So I then take hard drive 2 out and try it in his computer and it works. When I put hard drive 2 in my computer it does the 4 different options and freezes up too. Now I don't know what the problem is.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  2. Chris

Chris New Member

slave your primary drive into your brother's computer and run a chkdsk on it

open a cmd prompt and type e: (or whatever drive letter it assigns it) chkdsk /r

that may be enough to recover your data, but it sounds like you hdd may be dying. Download Seatools and run tests on your drive to see if it passes. Also, if you have the space somewhere (your brothers comp, or another drive) backup your important data while you still can

3. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

I just don't understand why hard drive 2 will work in my brother's computer and not mine.

4. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Now that I think about it. I also tried using a third hard drive that worked in another computer and that had the same result so I've kind of narrowed it down to the computer also

5. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

Could a possibility be a short in my computer or something? I just got hard drive 1 to work in my brother's computer.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

maybe Im being dense, but could you further explain your problem and your hardware setup.

Do you have 2 hard drive in the machine that wont boot up?

7. Cory Trevor

Cory Trevor New Member

No, I only have one right now. Hard drive 1 is mine. Hard drive 2 is the one that I pulled from a computer I found in the garage. Hard drive 3 is my little brother's.

I tried installing that program you recommended but it wouldn't install correctly for some reason.

So anyway here's what's going on right now.

Hard drive 2 and 3 would boot up in my brother's computer but 1 wouldn't. None would boot up in my computer.

Now for some reason I can't get a video output from my computer so I took everything apart. Now that I'm putting everything back together I've run into a completely new problem, once I turn on the power switch for the PSU my computer will automatically start, it shouldn't do that. Also the only way I can turn the computer back off is if I turn the PSU off from the back. Even with nothing at all plugged into the motherboard except the main power cable it will still start up.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  8. wizziebaldwin

wizziebaldwin New Member

sounds like you need to isolate your problem.

From the start I would check and make sure the Power Supply is working next I would swap the grey ribbon cable that attaches to the HD. Yeah I know who would expect that to ever go bad ... but i spent about three days swearing and cursing some foul machine I had to fix and it turned out to be just that ... the cable. So now I check that early on in the process.

XP has a feature that can restore the main files ... NOT the repair function that you seen when you first go into the installation part it is the second one. You can try that option it will leave your data intact and will put a new set of system files on the machine. Just make sure you are in the right place in the installation program ... YOU DO NOT WANT TO FORMAT or CREATE ANY PARTITIONS!

If you have more than one stick of memory I would try alternating those to make sure that they are working properly.

Try clearing the CMOS and using the initial default settings

Make sure the cables from the front panel power button are attached correctly to the MOBO. PWR / RSET if they are mixed up you won't be able to push and hold the button to turn off the unit.