Blue Devil Test Mule Spotted.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Lucifer, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer New Member

[​IMG]

This might look like an ‘ordinary’ Z06 with a funky hood scoop, but the crack shooters from Brenda Priddy’s crew, with with their long lenses and tuned ears, tell us this Corvette is anything but ordinary.
    Shooter Chris Doane claims that the sound coming from the engine could only be a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8, and our sources speculate that this Corvette is pushing nearly 650-horsepower! And when the Corvette SS goes to production– expect the price tag to be in the $100,000 range.

[​IMG]

The supercharged V-8 will utilize an integrated intake manifold intercooler, and it’s expected to run a 0-60 in under 3.5 seconds. The super-hot SS will weigh even less than the Z06, utilizing more carbon fiber in the body, as well as polycarbonate material.

[​IMG]

The 6.2-liter V-8 will be built at GM’s Performance Center in Wixom, Michigan, with annual production numbers expected to be in the 1500-2000 range. Production on this special Corvette, also known for some time as the Blue Devil, will start in the first quarter of 2008 (as a 2009 model).
    As for its exact name – well, we’re hearing everything from Corvette SS, to Z07, to resurrecting the Stingray name. Don’t count out the Mako Shark name, either.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hey, look! Its an American car that's been improved by stuffing a bigger engine into it. And they even added an intercooler to cool off the hot intake air from the supercharger. :coolugh:

If the engine were the same size as normal, but with forged, polished, and knife-edged everything, and with twin turbos instead of a fucking supercharger, then I would care. This is just typical Detroit under-engineered bullshit.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

You're right. GM should spend more to make less just to make you happy. I'm sure Rick Wagner would apologize to you if he ever read this.

4. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

what makes you think the internals aren't built?
    also, do you feel the same way about Mercedes AMG cars?

5. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

AMG does the same thing. They must sell bullshit too.

:rolleyes:

6. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

name a car that will beat it

7. victionone

victionone New Member

Do you even know what you are talking about? "Forged, polished, and knife-edged-everything with twin turbos..." You are a complete idiot. I'm sure the pistons will be forged to handle boost, but what the fuck will polishing and knife-edging everything? I know it sure sounds cool, but you have much to learn kid...

8. Ingen

Ingen New Member

One of the guys at the Center for Automotive Research has what appears to be a C5 z06 with a really tiny hood scoop with a hole in it.. and a twin-screw supercharger just barely poking out of the hole. it's so damn sexy... and I want it soooooooooooo bad.

But I don't have 100k. Hell, I don't have 1k.

9. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Am I the only one wondering why they are charging so much more for something that is basiscally a Supercharged Zo6?
    Wouldnt it be cheaper to take a 70k Z06 and slap a SC'er on it and make the same or more power for cheaper?

10. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

Composite body, custom Eaton blower w/ Laminova intercooler? This isint stuff you just order from Jegs :rofl:

11. Fabian

Fabian Active Member

:ugh: @ the fucking dumbasses in this thread

Anyway, it's gonna be fucking sweet but they'd better fucking NOT call it an SS :mad:

Corvette was never meant to have an SS package and Im sick of GM slapping it on everything.

12. 5secstrtcar

5secstrtcar Spot you 10, give you the move and still hand you

Mine. Its for sale too....

13. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

Aren't those pics of just the car used to test the engine? I was told it was a plain old c6 z06 with the new engine and a modified hood to accomodate it. Hence, why it looks like a z06 with a larger hood.

14. Possum Stomper

agreed, SS doesn't belong on a vette

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:werd: I could go for the stingray badge, tho.

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

still talking out of your ass, eh, deuse?

17. Virt

Virt OT Supporter

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a base C6 and throw a tt kit on it + some NOS? Wouldn't it be even cheaper than that to buy a used 04 Cobra and throw a new SC on it + NOS?

They can charge 100k+ for it cuz there will be absolutely nothing (factory stock with warranty) below 100k that will keep up with it performance-wise. It will probably run with with most everything until you get to the 440k+ range.

18. deusexaethera

1. Because it's GM.
    2. Actually, I do feel the same way about AMGs.

19. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

If its a 6.2 L with a super charger than its a smaller engine with a super charger. The C6 Z06 has a 7.0 L engine.

Depending on how much boost he super charger is pushing the internals don't have to be forged, and judging on the horsepower numbers I don't think its running at very high boost.

I kinda like the SS badge on the 'vette, this will definetly be a first for the car-being designed to compete with ultra-exotic supercars like a Carrera and Galardo.

20. deusexaethera

1. Sorry, I'm used to Chevy muscle cars using 5.7L engines.

2. Like I said, if it were twin-turboed (among other things), I'd care. Turbochargers are powered by the pressure of escaping exhaust gas, which is energy that would otherwise be wasted. Superchargers drain power from the crankshaft, and they don't generate as much pressure as turbos do -- considering the displacement of the engine, there's plenty of room for extra air to get packed in, and a turbo would do it a lot better. Sure, you can argue about the theoretical evils of turbo lag, but on a 6.2 liter engine, I doubt any sane person would notice a momentary drop in HP..assuming they're also not smart enough to rev the engine a bit before dropping the clutch.

21. deusexaethera

1. Knife-edging the rotating parts reduces rotational mass. Reducing rotational mass improves engine rev-up. Machining and polishing the non-contacting surfaces decreases the amount of surface area available for excess oil to cling to. You don't need oil sticking to parts that aren't rubbing against each other.

2. If the pistons are forged, it's not to handle boost from a supercharger. (well, I exaggerate -- does that SC produce 20PSI or so? Then the engine would need forged pistons.) And since SCs don't have 1000-degree exhaust gas shooting through them, that must be one hellishly-hot-running SC they're using if they actually need to use an intercooler with it.

22. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Does it come with a warranty and get 20mpg+?

23. deusexaethera

Dude, GM isn't going to make any money on this car anyway. You don't make money on your flagship product, you make money on all the cheap products bought by the people who come in to ogle the flagship product. As I saw in some car mag article once, "One Dodge Viper sells a lot of Dodge Neons."

Okay, I'm done pissing people off.

24. thedguy

thedguy New Member

Find room in a damn corvette for turbo's...

GM is atleast smart enough to beef up the bottom end if they force induce the motor, they did it with the Oldsjetfire, the Buick T-types, the ecotech.

Beyond that, it's GM, they are suppost to be cheap, hand building the motor Ferrari style with 10 over-head cams, 48 valves (6 per cylinder), 8 turbos, F1 spec crank made from Unobtainium, teflon coated everything, just isn't their style. Quite a bit like proper spelling and grammer ain't mine.

25. Possum Stomper

to be fair, AMG is no longer blowing their motors, they seem to be taking the increased displacement, naturally aspirated route

go figure :hsd: