blown head gasket

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Possum Stomper, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

what exactly is involved in a blown gasket?

how harmfull is it to the engine and what kind of repair is someone looking at?

is i just a simple matter of replacing the gasket and you're good to go or is it more invovled?

2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

How did you get the blown head gasket? If you have an LT1 engine, it's very possible that you warped the head. Not bleeding out all the air in the coolant system is the most commen cause of this head warping and subsequent blown gasket. If you have just a small pin hole leak, you can get away with driving it for a little while, other wise you need replace it asap. If it's leaking water into the oil you can destroy the bearings. Replacing it is just a mater of finding out wich head has the blown gasket, removing the intake, and exhaust manifolds, removing the banjo bolt, and cross over tube from the back of the head (LT1 specific), lifting the head off the block, cleaning the mating surfaces, then reversing the process. Make shure you buy new stretch bolts for your heads, re-using the old ones will not work.

3. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

woah, ok lemme specify a bit
    not my car, just an ad for a 94 Mustang GT i saw for cheap, and the ad mentioned a blown gasket

but no my car is alright.....

4. minx

minx Guest

blown gasket you will have to take apart the engine to see what kinda damage has been done.... either way you are looking at some hard work ahead, i would only consider it if the price was too good to pass up ;)

5. Smeckel

Smeckel Guest

If the car was shut down right after it blew, there is a chance you didnt warp the head or have caused any other damage. However, its still going to be a PITA project. You're going to ahve to rip the top end off to make sure you didnt harm anything else. Like minx said, i'd stay away unless you're getting a good deal and can do most of your own work. A shop that did a friend of mines charged him about 2g's for the change and they had to mill his heads alittle.

Good luck,
    Steve :cool:

6. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

If it's only a 94 and the gasket blew already, the engine was probably run hard and abused. Stay away from it.

7. Skinny_b

Skinny_b Super Stud

You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to face
    I would not reccomend buying that car. I have an '89 Grand Prix and just got done fixing a cracked head gasket and it isnt running the best that it can. One way or another down the road in about 2 or 3 thousand miles im sure it will give. Get ALL the specs on it first. every little detail.