blowing fuses?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by careface, Nov 17, 2003.

1. careface

careface Active Member

why do i keep blowing fuses? a while ago i blew my cigarette lighter fuse, no biggie, i dont smoke, but now i cant use my car phone charger. just last night i was just sitting in my truck waiting for someone while listening to my radio, when my radio and dome light shut off, another blown fuse. i have a little system, 1400watt amp (700RMS) going to a 12" audiobahn sub. would a capacitor stop me from blowing fuses?

2. 04

04 Guest

How long ago did the cigarette lighter fuse go out?

The amplifier (hopefully) is on its own leg of the electrical system and is independent of the other fuses. It shouldnt have made any of the other fuses pop. You might have a short somewhere between the fuse and the light, and a one somewhere between the other fuse and the cigarette lighter.

A capacitor certainly would not help with the problem.

Did you try replacing the fuses? If so, did they pop again right after you put them in and turned the device back on?

3. careface

careface Active Member

cigarette lighter fuse went out probably 1+ months ago, not sure. how about if i got a circuit breaker instead of an inline fuse?

4. 04

04 Guest

That would probably work too, but make sure you get a circuit breaker that is rated at the same amperage of the fuse.