LGBT Blemish reducing foods

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by red_fox, Sep 8, 2004.

1. red_fox

red_fox New Member

Do they exist? Is there something I can add to my diet to reduce the appearance of small blemishes on my face? Something to help with blemishes other than makeup would also be appreciated.

And what is a blemish-physiogically speaking? i.e. a buildup of melanin?

2. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Blemishes occur when oil and dead skin cells get trapped in the pit of the hair follicle. Bacteria then begins to multiply and the area becomes inflamed producing pimples, blackheads and whiteheads on the face and upper body. Although acne and blemished skin affects more than 20 million teenagers, it is appearing in adults in increasing numbers, due to current transition into a fast food nation. Most acne cases are in the mild to moderate range, but severe acne can cause serious cosmetic problems, which often leads to emotional stress and low self-esteem.

Blemished skin can derive from several causes, in adults the most common being allergic reactions to foods or dairy, a nutritional deficiency, or a diet high in saturated fats, hydrogenated fats and animal fats (which cause the oil build up in skin). In male youth, the sebaceous glands are stimulated by androgens, the male hormones. These hormones stimulate the production of keratin protein and sebum oil. Sebum is often secreted in a faster rate then it can be excreted from the pores - creating an acne blemish - that supports bacteria growth and infection. In women, causes include the start of menstruation and the use of birth control pills (except that new one whose name escapes me) or steroids.

As far as foods go, research suggests that it is not necessarily an issue of eating the bad foods, but NOT ALSO eating the good foods. We eat McDonalds, and the only veggies we get is the iceberg lattice on the Big Mac. And Ice Berg does nothing for us. Although french fries and aerated drinks are bad for us, recent studies have shown that it is the lack or inadequate intake of the other foods, which provide vital minerals and vitamins that results in acne.

Vitamin A and acne: Vitamin A is a nutrient required for maintenance of healthy skin and also helps in maintaining the hormonal balance. Studies have shown low vitamin A levels in people with acne. However, it has been found that supplementing the diet with vitamin A has cured acne within a few weeks. Rich sources of vitamin A include carrots, green leafy vegetables and yellow fruits such as mangoes. However, the supplementation should only be started in consultation with a physician so as to avoid adverse effects of overdose.
    Zinc and acne: Zinc is a known factor that helps in treating acne. A lack of zinc results in increased production of the male hormone, which is associated with acne. Whole grains and brewers yeast are rich natural sources of zinc.
    Non-vegetarian diet and acne: Non-vegetarian foods contain the male hormones and hormone like substances, which can affect the hormonal balance of the body and hence result in acne.
    Essential fatty acids (EFA) and acne: Research has shown that the EFA can help in preventing the hormonal imbalances responsible for causing acne. EFA deficiency has been reported in people with acne. The diet should hence be rich in the essential fatty acids, which are found in sunflower, soybean, corn and safflower oils.

I luv that my mom is an herbalist!

Remember too that liver health also affects skin health. (When this blood-cleansing organ is overburdened with wastes and toxins or is depleted through age, the resulting system imbalance can compromise skin.) Detoxifying the liver, therefore, helps support the skin and mitigate acne. A diet rich in green vegetables for overall detoxification is a good idea. Although not yet proven by FDA approved research, the high magnesium content in the green pigment of these plants also cool inflammation. Wheat grass is especially beneficial, but broccoli, cucumber, and dark leafy greens all do the trick. If you like the taste, drinking a quart of juiced greens daily is wonderful.

It would be a good idea to keep a record of your body's reaction to different foods, since fatty foods, caffeine, sweets, and salty food have been associated with acne in some people. So if you see your acne condition aggravating after consuming these foods, try to restrict them. Still, increase the consumption of foods rich in zinc such as whole grain cereals, skimmed milk and yogurt. A slight modification in your diet will go a long way in keeping your skin sparkling and blemish free.

3. red_fox

red_fox New Member

Excellent reply. Thanks.

4. CoCo

I try to be a resource.:wiggle:

5. Dr. Giggles

Dr. Giggles OT Supporter

That was very informative. Thanks CoCo. :)

6. CoCo

I'm a firm believer in looking pretty!

When Taylor (basically) lived with us, I went out and got everyone mud, mint, and milk home treatments!

7. Dr. Giggles

Dr. Giggles OT Supporter

I took accutane when I was a young teenager. I have a few scars around the temple areas, but I don't get acne anymore :hs:

8. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

My ex claimed that he had acne really bad when he was a teenager so his dermatoligist recommended tanning (lightly) to help dry the oils on the skin. It seemed to do quite good because he didnt have a blemish anywhere on his body. He also overdid it too and was very, very dark, which made my naturally light skin look even whiter. :squint:

9. Dr. Giggles

Dr. Giggles OT Supporter

:rofl: :hsugh: