Blade Runner: Director's Cut

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by SC0TLANDF0REVER, Sep 6, 2006.

1. SC0TLANDF0REVER

SC0TLANDF0REVER Rest In Peace, Brother...

So I just picked up the 'new' Blade Runner: Director's Cut DVD.
    It's remastered and a bare bones disc until the
    Über 3-Disc set comes out next year.

Anyone else like this movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner#Special_Edition

After years of legal disputes, Warner Brothers announced in 2006 that it has finally secured full distribution rights to the film. They plan for three stages of releases for the film. First, a digitally remastered single-disc limited re-release of the 1992 Director's Cut is scheduled for September 5, 2006 and October 9th in the UK. Second, Ridley Scott's new "Final Cut" of the film is scheduled for theatrical release in 2007. The third and final phase, a multi-disc box set including the two previously mentioned cuts, the U.S. and International cuts, and bonus features, isalso scheduled for 2007. Warner Bros. has plans to release this box setnot only on DVD, but also on the HD DVD and Blu-ray disc formats.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117944173?categoryid=20&cs=1&query=blade+and+runner&display=blade+runner

Warner homevid has disentangled "Blade Runner's" famously thorny rights issues to pave the way for a September reissuereissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley ScottRidley Scott's final cut.

Warner's rights to "
    Blade Runner" lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The pic, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceovervoiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The restored "Director's Cut" will debut on homevid in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium. "
    Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

The massive "
    Blade Runner" project comes on the heels of Scott's four-disc treatment for "Kingdom of Heaven," released this week by Fox homevid, less than a year after the pic's initial homevid release.

2. Sublimeone123

Sublimeone123 New Member

The movie had a great premise and I think Ridley Scott really did a good job getting his point across but I hated how Harrison Ford executed those monologues throughout the film. He claims to have done them poorly because he didn't like the monologues. If you're going to watch it I'd recommend watching the edition without Harrison Ford's monlogues.

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i think i'm weird because i didn't like blade runner, made me want to take a nap. I know everyone on the planet seems to love it but it jsut seemed so boring to me, maybe i should re-watch it, it's been years and years since i've seen it. there's a version without ford talking so much?

4. 9volt

9volt If you see me running, try to keep up

don't worry, you're not the only one. i had to rent it 3 times before i stayed awake to watch the whole thing.

5. goguygo

goguygo New Member

I saw it when it was first released, and I was so impressed I paid to watch it again at the next showing. It's the only time I have done that. I do agree about the voiceovers, but I think they provide enough background to the story that it can be confusing without them. After you have seen the movie once with the voiceovers, it is definitely better without them.
    I really disliked the voiceovers in American Beauty and it would have been much better without them, IMO.

6. johnny

johnny shit, baby

I liked both, but it is better without the voiceover.

The monologues, and the way they are delivered, give the film a campy feel, which isn't necessarily a bad thing :dunno:

7. ProgWRX

ProgWRX Citizen Dildo

Director's cut has no voice overs, which is FTW.