GUN Blackhawk Serpa

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Radicus, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

I has one. Was at the local Impact looking around and they had a few in stock for $39ish.. Been wanting one so I was pretty happy :bowdown:

Anyway, after practice drawing with it for a while I do not understand how someone could accidently pull the trigger while drawing. :hsugh: It's so natural and your finger ends up right on the slide where it should be. Doesn't even require much pressure to disengage the retention.

Cliffs: I've come to the conclusion that anyone who shoots themselves while drawing a firearm is a retard.

2. As I understand it they were redesigned at some point so that people were less likely to shoot themselves.

3. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

i've used two of these on two different guns g23 or 27...i think it was the subcompact though but not 100% sure and a 226 and while I never had a problem with it I've seen others have bad draws due to not getting the button depressed fully before drawing.

I've also seen reports of them coming apart during retention training courses

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

good luck with it.

if you use it for any type of pistol classes where they might teach you how to draw with your non-dominant hand (by reaching across your body) you'll be fucked in the ass.

a common technique is to grab the pistol with your non-dominant hand and rotate it in the holster so the grip points forward so you can index it and draw.

with the serpa, if you do that, the front sight will get stuck under the locking mechanism and you have to literally take the holster apart to get the gun out.

5. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Army SF uses it, so it can't be too shitty... but it's true that most instructors advise against it.

Friend of a friend on facebook is with the 1st SFG it looks like. No one told him about the new facebook privacy settings last week, so I looked through all his cool photos before letting him know wassup.

What's worse is that he friended me, and then I got to see all his buddy's shit too, lol. There's a reason the folks at ProfessionalSoldiers.com advise deleting facebook/myspace, etc.

6. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

That would make sense. Cause like I said, it's effortless. It's easier to draw from than my Fobus with passive retention.

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Ibholeinleg

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (HTC-8500/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.8) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

lawl

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I had lunch with a friend a week or two ago, he said he'd talked to a Le in dallas(?), guy shot himself with one. Idk if it was live or fof but the shit happens.

ALS is a FAR better design than the serpa. Cheapo fucks need to spend extra coin on something that won't potentially cause that type of issue when the shit gets real.

10. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

It doesn't happen on the static range. It happens in FoF training, hands on, etc. The shit is real and it does happen and it's not limited to noobs. There is a reason a lot of the top trainers don't allow them in their classes.

11. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

There is a lot of misinformation/old information going around about Serpas. The only thing that concerns me about them is the three screws that attach the holster to the housing. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Yep, you're right. It's all bullshit Internet rumors.

The fact of the matter is that A holster that requires use of the trigger finger is bound to cause issues. I always hear "it's not true," "I've never done it," etc. Competition, square range, etc, yes, its probably never happened. But it HAS happened for real. When people are (for real or in FoF training) fighting for their lives, everything gets a bit more intense.

The safariland ALS is an awesome alternative. You use your naturally flagged thumb to release the lock. It's a great concept and the holster I'd recommend if someone wanted suggestions on a level 2.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Unfortunatly it happens with all holters. if you cant remember to keep your trigger finger off the trigger before you're ready to shoot, it's going to happen with any holster. Maybe it happens more often with the serpa, maybe the serpa is used by more people, or possibly by people with less experience. If you manage to shoot yourself in the leg during a draw in most positions, chances are you dont know how to do a proper draw. So if guys are shooting themselves in the legs with the serpa holsters, this tells me it hs something to do with their skill level rather than the holster itself. Just my opinion. I dont own one and pobably never will because I agree there are better holsters out there, but I think it comes down to traning in the end.

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

It has happened with very well trained shooters/cops/soldiers as well. I agree it's happened with other holsters as well but this holster in particlar forces inbound movement of the trigger finger. I just isn't necessary and obviously is an inherently more prone to nd design than others.

As I said, there is a reason many training schools either suggest against or expressly prohibit them.

15. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Let me put it this way... I draw from the Serpa exactly the same as I draw from my Fobus or Comptac. It literally takes almost no force to disengage the retention.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

17. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

I carry my G19 in one half the time. The draw is just fine, and my finger never slips. I just put it on the button, press a little, pull my hand up, and then I magically have a good grip on the handgun with my finger exerting pressure on the rail in the rest position.

I don't see how anyone but a total idiot could manage to shoot themselves while drawing, at least with the model I have.

I do see how some people could have concerns about pebbles getting in the locking mechanism and jamming it so you can't release your handgun.

18. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I love this "its never happened to me, so if it happened to someone else, they must be an idiot" mentality.

I hope it never does happen to you, so you're not labeled an idiot either.

Fact is, accidents happen to even the best shooters. I know of top master shooters that have been DQ'd at events for ADs and other things only "idiots" do.

The Serpa, of which I do own one, is not the smartest design. I would bet that most here that have never had the problem, have also never drawn their gun in anger, under stress or under the penalty of death if they didnt draw their gun fast and accurately. When you think about what you're doing with a Serpa, there really isnt a problem with it and your finger is in a great spot after the draw, ready to go.

However, in the heat of a battle of your life depending on your draw, there IS the possibility, that the force exerted on the button would be greater than in a controlled draw. When that happens, its entirely possible for the finger to slip into the trigger guard and possibly pull the trigger.

Its possible, cause its happened.

Why not just deal with another holster which is not designed in a way that could allow this to happen.

Yes, you can still shoot yourself in the leg with something else if you do not do it properly, however, the specific instance that the Serpa is prone to is excluded.

Why flirt with a problem if you dont have to?

19. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Are you addressing the guy who can't be convinced that it's a smart idea to make sure his kids shoot with eye protection, or wear a helmet while riding a skateboard? :rofl:

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Have you ever used it In a FoF or ECQ class?

We keep taking about leg shooting but it needs to be mentioned that if something like a pebble gets stuck in the lock, you're not getting it out without a saw.

21. GlassUser

No, I haven't.

That was mentioned in the post you just quoted...

22. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

of course you don't have to worry about it, you don't carry your glock with one in the chamber

23. GlassUser

I don't?

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I didn't read your whole post. I was trying to be helpful by mentioning it.

Anyway, if you or no one you know personally has done it then it must be an urban legend

25. GlassUser

must be