Blackberry WiFi

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 4W4K3, Dec 11, 2007.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

If I got a Blackberry and stuck my current SIM card in it (NO internet/e-mail access) could I still get the WiFi connection from my home/work if I'm in range?

I've heard you can use the newer BB's as wireless modem's and access the internet on your laptop through the BB's internet. Obviously, this would require a BB data plan, but it's certainly interesting.

I'm trying to decide if I shold get the additional $19.99/month "unlimited" plan for my BB so I can pair it up with my laptop while on the road and access Google Maps and such.

2. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

hang on a sec

You're talking about two different things... I'm not aware of any blackberry that has WiFi capability - the ability to use the internet connection from your home/work/hotspot/etc. I've only got experience with the Curve and Pearl models though.

On the other hand, the BB data plan will give your BB internet access through the (much slower) cellular network. And you can generally "tether" your BB to a PC via bluetooth or USB, allowing you to have "anywhere" interent access at approximately dial-up speeds, provided you have the unlimited plan. But again, this has nothing to do with Wi-Fi.

If your goal is to accomplish this kind of tethered data connection to use your laptop someplace there is no available WiFi, you can probably accomplish this with your current phone if you set it up right. If you have a 3G phone it will obviously be faster (how much faster depends on how your local signal is).

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

The Curve from T-Mobile advertises WiFi, but apparently you have to pay an extra $20/month to access it.

Phone companies suck, soon you'll have to pay every time you look at your phone to check the time. I think I may be better off just toating around my laptop and a wireless card. If I'm doing the math right the Blackberry will cost more per month than my car insurance :hsugh:

4. fudgetracks

fudgetracks Tell Sanchito that if he knows what is good for hi

:wtf: what kind of shit is that?

5. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I thought the $20 was to use their VoIP service over wifi and "theoretically" be able to hand off calls from the cellular network to VOIP when you enter wifi coverage

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Well I have no use for that feature, as I'm not an aspiring business man who uses such features lol. I'm just interested in using my phone at work to access our unrestricted wireless internet (like I do with my laptop). Also, same goals at home.

I've read some providers have the WiFi browser disabled without the data plan, and others do not. Can't find a clear answer though. Either way, I'm thinking the monthly plan is going to be OK with me as long as I don't spend a shit load on the initial phone purchase. So far the cheapest I can find the Curve for is $99 through Amazon.

Hmm...should I? I still have 2 more $53 payments to make on my existing T-Mobile account but I really don't want to wait lmao.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Cool, well it looks like the Curve is exactly what I want then. Now for the not so cool part.

T-Mobile told me I can't have another active phone plan while I'm still on my SmartAccess plan (2 months till expire).

On top of that, the guy told me I probably won't be approved even when I am out of contract because of the price of the phone and my SmartAccess plan was only a one year contract.

This sucks, I never missed a payment and I only went with SmartAccess because I was told after the year of timely payments and no overages I would have sufficient credit history to be approved for there "better" phones/plans. Now they're telling me it's still not enough?

Ack. I don't have bad credit, just no credit history. I guess that's worse...

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Called them back, talked to someone else in the credit department. Seems I mis-understood the person who I talked to first.

If I wait till my current SmartAccess plan is out of contract I can then apply for a new line of credit, which should be approved as long as within the next 2 months I don't break my current contract. She said the activation fee would probably still be $75 instead of $35 becasue I only have had a 1 year SmartAccess line, but I would still be able to get the deal/promotion for the Blackberry and not have to pay full retail.

Makes me a little happier. I just gotta wait.