Blackberry vs Treo 700?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WyldKat, Feb 2, 2006.

1. WyldKat

WyldKat Come with me if you want to live.

I don't know much at all about the Blackberry except that its fairly popular right now. In fact I didn't even look at the one at the cell shop because I was too busy learning about the Treo 700.

What are the differences between the two? What makes the Blackberry so special?

What I like about the Treo 700:
    -Has Excel built in (huge point for me)
    -Can play MP3s
    -Memory stick
    -Built in camera
    -Synches with wireless windows PCs
    -Touch screen, holder for stylus
    -mini qwerty keyboard

I'm wonder how much of that the Blackberry has. I can get the Treo for $400 which I think is pretty reasonable for all that it does. Does the Blackberry have Excel too? I use Excel to eliminate as much paperwork as I can, as I find that I'm really disorganized with paper, it's proven itself to be immensely valuable to me.

So anyways, Blackberry crew, what are the selling points of the unit?

2. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

in for replies. the timing on this thread is fantastic considering I'm in a similar situation.

3. WyldKat

I think I'm going with the Treo, I've heard nothing but "I wish I would have waited for the Treo" from Blackberry people.

Love the handle btw ;)

4. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

a buddy of mine just bought a Treo 650 and it's pretty nice. it's running Palm OS, but I assume you're looking at the Windows Mobile version...?

he had some issues with getting Outlook to synch correctly off the bat. this was not a problem for my MPX200 running WM. IMHO, WM beats Palm hands down. now that the Treos support WM I can't imagine anyone makes a better product.

I'm no expert, however. I have limited time with smartphones but have found mine indispensable in the short time I've been toying with it.

about the handle: thanks :)

5. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

nothing beats a blackberry for email. Nothing.

But, the true advantages end there. WM5 can do everything a blackberry can and much more. Besides the business side of things (email, PIM, MS Office), the treo on WM can do so much more. Multimedia is one such thing-play movies or tv shows, play MP3s, endless number of games, etc. Not to mention perfect integration with outlook. Plus a camera that is pretty good.

6. WyldKat

Thanks kungfu, yeah the office and multimedia stuff were really the big selling points for me on it. I doubt I'll be using the email feature much.

7. Dohctor Sol

Dohctor Sol New Member

Love my Treo 650. Felt it was a great investment, but that's not saying much after upgrading from a Nokia 3360. :p Looking forward to buying the Wi-Fi sled for it, can only imagine how much more I'd enjoy it. Never messed with the Blackberry, so I'm partial to the Treo.

8. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

wifi sled ftl

9. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

no problem man. I should be getting the Cingular 8125 soon, I'll make a review post if/when I do :noes:

10. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

The Treo650 is a piece. You can get push email on any smartphone or pocketpc device but you'll have to go 3rd party such as 4smartphone.net. The Blackberry email is nice though and the 8700 does do a good job...if email is all you need bb is the way to go but I'd actually wait till the end of the month to get a device. New toys on the horizon, don't blow your wad of cash now. :)

11. DINide

DINide New Member

i will forever vouch for my crackberry. if you want a toy, get the treo. if you want a business tool, get the crackberry

12. 98TsiAWD

98TsiAWD New Member

But what you will soon here from all the treo guys is I wish I would of waited for the UTstarcomm 6700...

13. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

From a sysadmin's point of view, I've dealt with many blackberries and Treos. Basically the blackberry wins as far as stability is concerned. The Treo wins in the compatibility / application support / useability department. Its reliability and constant sync issues really irritate me.

14. allen2oo3

allen2oo3 New Member

:werd: i just paid full retail for the 6700 after getting the treo just 3 weeks ago. so now i have an i730, 700w, and the 6700. two of these bitches are going to ebay...just gotta figure out which ones.

15. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

here's the deal, basically if want a device that does email and then is a phone too, go with a blackberry, like everyone has said you cant beat it for email

however, if you want a phone that does email and a lot of other stuff fairly well, go with the treo. You really need to go into a store and play around with one, to see what I mean.

Cliffs: for phone with email go treo; for email with phone go blackberry

16. 98TsiAWD

98TsiAWD New Member

Im telling you guys, UTstarcomm 6700 all the way. Windows, nuff said.

17. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

this is good,
    see my post below, about the ultimate PDA

18. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

The fact that its windows mobile doesn't give it an advantage as the Treo 700 and the Samsung i730 both have windows :hsugh: