Blackberry or iPhone?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bowzer85, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bowzer85

bowzer85 New Member

I'm thinking about trading out my 5 year old ghetto RAZR for a smart phone. I've heard good things about the Blackberry Bold and Curve. I was also debating the iPhone. What do you guys think? Besides being able to play games and run apps on the iPhone is there any reason to choose it over the BB Bold?

2. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Do you plan on using it for business (Blackberry) or as a media device (iphone)?

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

if you want a full qwerty keyboard and kick ass email support or dislike touchscreen only, then blackberry. other than that, iphone.
    - better media support
    - better app support
    - better accessory support
    - better screen
    - better web browsing

4. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

The blackberry curve kicks fucking ass. I have many friends with iphones, and none of them can deny that my bb is far superior in terms of raw functionality as a communication device. Typing is much easier on it, email is far superior, and you get blackberry messenger. The operating system on it is rock solid, and it gets exceptional battery life.

The iphone will be far superior for media use, but I have an ipod touch for that.

5. optimuz-prym

optimuz-prym New Member

Everyone I've known that's used an iPhone swears by it and wont tell you to go for anything different. Personally, I'd probably take the Blackberry, but I'm really more of a button person myself. I have big fingers and can't adjust to the iPhone very well.

6. bowzer85

bowzer85 New Member

Thanks for the heads up guys. Yeah, I have big fingers, so I like the idea of a physical keyboard. Although I heard the web browsing experience is a bit better on the bold, because of some upgrades. I guess I just need to figure out what I will use more... apps & web browsing or email / text messaging. Thanks for the help.

7. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

Web browsing isn't amazing on any portable device due to the small screen size. However, I actually prefer browsing on my curve as opposed to my itouch because once again, its actually practical to type on. I can't stand touchscreens for typing and I've never seen ant of my friends type nearly as fast on their iphones as I can on my curve. They all tell me they hate it for anything beyond short messages.

8. Enforcer

Enforcer New Member

I switched from Iphong 3G to BB 8900 and i like the BB better.

Better overall as a phone, although the iphone does a lot of cool stuff too.
    BB just launched an app store (Appworld) which I think will increase functionality of the BB even more.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i can't wait for the blackberry 9630. i've got a crappy 8703e from work that just sucks and i hate the storm.

10. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (fucking iPhone 3G son: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Read my wap thing. That tells it all.

11. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

I'm an Apple guy, through and through.

I own an iMac, iBook, macBook, 2 iPod nanos and an iPod touch.

However, I went with a BB Curve for my work phone and am glad I did.

Great product. Looking forward to their future models on the upcoming 4G networks.

12. sorryforya

sorryforya New Member

I have both. I use my iPhone more for internet and use the BB for everything else. I would give up the iPhone in an instant if it wasn't for the stupid early termination fee.

13. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (fucking iPhone 3G son: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

So far loving the bb bold. Iphone gets love every now and then but actually had all my calls from my iphone forward to this phone. :mamoru:

14. TheRaySta

TheRaySta New Member

blackberry FTW even better if alot of your friends have them (blackberry messneger)

15. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

I think the iphone is a nifty gadget. However, IMO, they tried to cram too much stuff in there that a lot of it is lacking. Very basic features aren't there. I also feel that it is most lacking as a phone itself.

I've never experienced more dropped calls then on an iphone. I love my bold though. It's a sexy piece of hardware, beautiful screen, good multimedia support, unlimited storage (via microsd cards), and more. perfect phone to me.

16. Bobalu

Bobalu New Member

apple has that affect on people with everything they sell :o

i'll never buy another touch screen, but i do think the iphone is more superior.

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

No phone is perfect. I love my iPhone, but get frustrated with the touch keyboard from time to time. I prefer my blackberry for email, but my iPhone for apps and media. I preferred a regular butoned phone with the blackberry pearl second for use as a phone due to being able to dial without looking. There will not be a single perfect phone because every one will have tradeoffs.

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I like buttons too so Im getting a curve. I dont need all of this flashy crap for my media all I need is it to play music and videos.

19. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i can't wait for the new bberry 9630 to come out. i want to get one of those for work. it got great reviews for the hardware, best keyboard and best screen.

20. Cicada

Cicada OT Supporter

iphone

21. Howardman3

Howardman3 New Member

i have a bb storm and i actually really enjoy it. ive played w iphones a bunch and i prefer the button click of the storm when typing. its good for media usage as far as ive found.

22. bobasaur

bobasaur New Member

I had a few problems with my blackberry curve. First one I got kept powering off on its own. Next one had lag issues, not talking about load time when powering on. Just simple switching from address book to main menu to messages and sometimes scrolling. My third one is great. My guess is Costco gets refurbished ones, might not want to go there. ><

23. notladstyle

notladstyle New Member

Curve by far - it does everything the iphone does minus the cute graphics and animations.

My curve has an 8GB memory card loaded with movies and music and its been an excellent portable media player. Its also easier to upload content to it without using the annoying itunes software.

The curve with latest firmware supports DIVX, MP4, and FLV so you throw just about anything on it.

24. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I've had the BB Curve, Bold, iPhone 3G, Treo Pro, Tilt, Blackjack I/II, and several more in the past year or so. I hated my Blackberrys because they'd always delete texts/emails/contacts if I didn't pull the battery every day/couple of days. The PIM (organizer), even 3rd party ones, on the BBs suck as well. The iPhone was great for multimedia, but would crash a lot and wasn't really a strong PIM device. My WM devices do everything I want fairly well, but this one is the most sluggish of them all.

I'm currently using my Treo Pro, it's my favorite device given its power. I'm using my BB Bold as a backup and will be getting it hooked up to corporate email, it'll be a data only device.

25. avctechsupp

avctechsupp New Member

My friend brought over his new (1G) iPhone about a month after they first came out. He said something about how he heard you could 'hack it', and asked me what that meant?..

Needless to say, after reading up online about hacking the iPhone -- and remember that this was right after they were first available -- I knew that I had to have one. It seemed like all the right people were getting iPhone's. Developers, hackers, MY kinda people.

Ask yourself... do you like to hack your gadgets? Rockbox on your Archos? Bootcamp beta on your MacBook? XBMC on your XBOX? If so, get the iPhone.

I know that, while carrying my iPhone, I can use it to do almost anything related to computers. It's amazing. If I don't have the app I need, I just fire up Cydia and install it. And the wifi tethering (now with 3G) just sweetens the pot.

Last thing... Save your Motorola! There's lots of cool bluetooth hacking tools for the Symbian platform. And if all this seems unappealing to you...in immortal the words of The Offspring: Just.....Don't....Listen to it!