Blackberry Curve (8300) or iPhone - Help Me Decide.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by doyoulikekungfu, May 5, 2007.

1. doyoulikekungfu

doyoulikekungfu New Member

Blackberry Curve was just announced yesterday.

http://www.blackberrycurve.com

I'm on the fence, my contract is up on Cingular in June and I was thinking about the iPhone. The price and the data plan($39 a month) from CingularAtt is expensive.

Then I started looking at the Blackberries and the data plans($29 a month for a personal plan). With the multimedia features of the new Blackberry, I'm now leaning towards this.

Any suggestions or comments why I should go with either phone.

2. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

i dont kno about the iphone its apple's first try witha cell so it might be all that great the blackberry on the other hand is better known and cheaper soooo i guess go with that

3. doyoulikekungfu

Looked at the rates this morning and Cingular raised the personal blackberry plan to $34.99.

4. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

if you go online and order the cingular media net unlimited for $20 its pretty much the same thing as the data connect which is $40 per month. they like to jack it up for "smart phone" users.

blackberries are nice though. you have that full keyboard while the iphone has the on screen one.

5. doyoulikekungfu

Anybody a Blackberry user? Give me some insight on why you like them.

6. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

very durable
    excellent software (rarely locks, easy and intuitive to use as well)
    great RF quality

I've heard some nasty things about the iPhone. Battery only lasting 40 minutes on web surfing (and its not even 3g :ugh2: ), non-removable batter, can't handle a call decently....i dunno

You really can NOT go wrong with a blackberry, and thats coming from a mac user :o
    My 8700 is the most reliable, durable phone i've ever used (and I work for cingular so I use a lot of phones)

7. skim518

skim518 New Member

8. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

That new blackberry looks like my Treo... I'd go with the iPhone if it's all it's cracked up to be...

9. Freeze Time

Freeze Time New Member

I'm loving my BB Pearl (8100) Durable, great features, good overall phone.

10. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Rumors:
    internal (non-removable) battery
    40 mins web surfing on a full battery
    horrible call quality
    not 3g

I really hope all this is wrong, it really does have potential if apple doesn't drop the ball:noes:

11. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

i've got a pearl and i love it. the curve looks like it's gonna be really good...

i'd wait another year or so for the iPhone, since it's apple's first ever smartphone. RIM has been making berries for ages now

12. mortos_apt

mortos_apt New Member

I'd go with the Blackberry also. It has a lot of cool features its cheaper and we should make sure apple is working for its profits. If everyone invests in apple for silly reasons, The quality of apple will stay the same while the prices jack up. But this is the paranoid theory.

13. doyoulikekungfu

Curve is getting pretty good reviews from the press. Can't wait for a release date on Att. Europe has them now, so hopefully it will be soon.

14. KingKhai

KingKhai New Member

The blackberry will be my next phone, only down side is no touchscreen like my treo.

15. anfrey

anfrey ɹǝƃuoɯǝɔɐǝd

i really can't see RIM making a touchscreen berry for quite a while. check this out though: www.openmoko.org

16. doyoulikekungfu

june 13th is the rumored release date on att. no word on price yet

17. Faz

Faz Administrator

18. doyoulikekungfu

The Co Ceo from BlackBerry just bought the Nashville Preditors

19. DINide

DINide New Member

email important - blackberry
    toy - iphone

20. doyoulikekungfu

It's out! $199.00 with two year contract.

21. doyoulikekungfu

Well I get my Blackberry Curve (8300) tomorrow. I'll post more about it later. and the official iPhone release date is June 29th, commercial is on YouTube now.

22. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

lemme know how you like it and how the web surfing is?

I want to get this for tmo.

23. famous

famous OT Supporter

Just bought an 8100(pearl yesterday).
    so far so good. i wasnt down for always haveing a $600 phone in my pocket, and this thing does everything i want it too anyways.
    I need to get some apps though...so far i just have google maps

24. doyoulikekungfu

Ok, i've had the phone for almost a week now. I love the phone but I've been having the signal drop when the phone is using the data connection and then 30secs later the connection comes back up. This happens on pre-installed apps Blackberry Browser or Att's Media Net Browser and user installed apps like Opera Mini, Gmail and Google Talk. And it's not the area I live in. I bought my wife the Pearl and the data connection or signal never drops. This started happening to me from the beginning and I thought I give it at least until the following Monday to test out different areas and situations, but the issue still persists. As of right now my wife's Pearl has a faster data connection than my Curve. Tomorrow I will go an exchange the phone and see if I get any better results.

25. doyoulikekungfu

What I like about the Blackberry 8300 Curve:

Keyboard - it's a little tight at first not as spaced out as the 8700 but way better than the 8800

Trackball - so much easier to navigate BB menus than just the up/down scroll wheel

Media Player, menu layout is similar to an ipod shows album cover if it's part of your music file. You can select a song as your ringtone. Also I was able to connect it to my Mac and drag and drop files onto the media card without a problem. Big plus not having to jump through hoops to get it to work right.

3.5 mm Stereo jack - I can plug my iPod headphones in without an adapter. Very Nice!

Camera - 2mp takes decent shots comes on pretty fast. You use the trackball to zoom.

Internet Browser - has a desktop view and a pointer comes up which you control with the trackball

Internet Browser - Has a "Add Web Feed" option and RSS reader. RSS reader works well. You can expand and collapse posts by hitting the enter key or a quick summary will come up when you rollover the title.

You can Surf the web, listen to mp3's and use bb messenger all at the same time without a hiccup. I was very impressed that the device could handle this.

Push Email - work great with my gmail. Setup was super easy to do.

BB Messenger - addicted to it. Works just like an desktop IM client.

Spellcheck - works great.

Speakerphone - Nice and Loud

Size of device - small enough that i can put in my front pocket without a bulge

What I dont like.

My signal dropping when the data connection is being used and then waiting 30secs for it to come back on. I can have full signal with EDGE in caps and it will happen. Hopefully it's just the phone and it will be fixed when I exchange it tomorrow

Flash is not supported(No Youtube), but the Blackberry Browser has an option to turn on "Embedded Media" wonder what that is for? If anybody knows please post.

Bluetooth mac support very buggy. Takes a long time to connect to my Mac just to tell me there is a problem. Never got it to connect yet.

Pocket Sync for Mac - cant get it to see my Curve. But it does sync perfectly with my wife's pearl. Hopefully it's just a software issue.

HTML email doesnt work, just text a text version. Is there a way to turn HTML email on?

No video capture

---------------------------

That's all I can remember for right now. I'll post back when I get a replacement Curve

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007