black screen. what could it be?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Levelord, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Levelord

Levelord New Member

First I'll detail what I have and running :

Hewlett-Packard. 1.8 ghz
    Running AOL 9.0 optimized

What's the problem?

Well I've heard a variety of things of what it "could" be all the way from video card.. to possibly the fan/inside being dirty.. which.. opening the tower this evening it was QUITE packed full of dust and shit. I also heard the possibilities it could be a hardware problem.. all the way down to it being the AOL software which I don't find feasible to grant the problem I'm about to detail so form ya own with all the stated above

What my problem is/was is this :

Yanno how after an "x" amount of minutes ya screensaver comes up? In my case, the little XP logo that jumps around the screen, right? Well, I noticed 1 night when I went to bed and woke up the next morning that the XP logo wasn't there. I go to the computer and normally when you shake the mouse the screen would pop up, right? Nope. Nothing. Yes, The monitor is on.. Meaning, The green light and such, but no screen. Moving the mouse. Nothing. So what alternative option? Restarting the computer of course.

So restarted the computer and over a course of a few nights the same problem happened numerous times. Again, Having to restart the computer each and every time bc it's black screen and no other option BUT to restart the computer.

Anyways.

Then it started something new. I would be ONLINE.. not idle or away.. and I'd be doing something online and all of a sudden the screen would go pitch black.. same problem. move mouse around. nothing. again. having to restart each and every time. It did this a few times as well.. even while online.

I figured it might be the monitor shitting itself? Nope. I exchanged monitors and the problem still persisted. So we ruled out the monitor shitting the bed. Any ideas?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well if you tested another monitor, I would lean toward the video card.

You said that the green light on the monitor stays on when this happens? Does hitting the num lock and caps lock keys make the lights on the keyboard go on and off? If not, the machine has locked up.

Is there a fan on your video card?

3. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

sounds like your video card is crapping out on you.