Black Screen on Startup

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Serialpimp, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

Jan 12, 2005
    I was real careful with my computer,
    I transported in my car. It did not get dropped, or knocked around.

I hooked it back up,
    It starts up, everything sounds fine,
    but I get a black screen out of it. My monitor light turns orange, which means nothing is coming through, but it does not do the "searching for signal test" that it does when you turn the computer off and leave the monitor on.

I check my video card, took it out and reinserted it, into the slot.
    I checked all the cables, etc. Everything looks fine, but I do have alot of things in the computer and its been so long since I had it open, I don't remember what every wire is, like I used to.

I hooked the monitor up to two other computers, it is working fine.

What should I do next,
    My Motherboard does not have onboard video,
    I have an ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Motherboard,
    and an MSI Nvidia 256MG 5700LE Video Card,

Everything is powering up, all fans on MB, Case & Video Card are working.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera New Member OT Supporter

Jan 27, 2005
    1. When you say "everything sounds fine", do you mean you can hear the computer go through its normal coffee-grinding exercise as it loads Windows?

2. What happens if you connect a different screen to your computer? Does it stay black or does it show an image?

3. Have you tried clearing the CMOS memory? This sometimes makes a difference for reasons that very few people could explain, but basically the CMOS has only a very limited ability to check for corrupted settings within itself, because it just doesn't have room to store that kind of programming.

If clearing the CMOS makes no difference and another screen also doesn't show an image, then your next step is to borrow a video card and plug it in; you don't need drivers or anything, you just want to see if the basic video function works. If it does, you need a new video card. If a borrowed video card doesn't work either, then I dunno what the hell is going on or how to fix it, short of replacing the computer part-by-part until it works again.

Replace the little lithium battery on the motherboard, while you're in there. Most people never think to change it. It saves the settings in your computer's CMOS.