GUN Black powder?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by D-FENS, May 25, 2005.

1. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Does anybody know anything about black powder guns? I recently found out that I have a .44 caliber muzzleloader pistol, and I know nothing about black powder. I bought the powder measure, lead balls, patches (I assume .45 patches would work in a .44 gun, tell me if I'm wrong), the ball starter, a ramrod, and some pyrodex. What else would I need (I know I need primers, but I don't know what type, I'll bring the gun into the store next weekend), how do I do everything, and how much powder should I use?

Pic of gun: http://www.hunt101.com/img/255487.jpg

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I own a muzzleloader, but I don't think I can be much help as mine is a rifle and is made to use 209 shotgun primers. :hs:

3. mrbill

mrbill New Member

add a nipple wrench, pipe cleaners, bullet puller, patch lube and cleaning supplies. measure powder. pour powder in barrel. pack powder with ramrod. lube patch. place ball in lubed patch and use ball starter to get ball started in barrel(with patch separating powder and ball). use ramrod to seat ball on powder. place hammer at half cock. place primer on nipple. take hammer to full cock. point at target and pull trigger. for more detail, go here and poke around a bit.
    http://thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    be safe and have fun!

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Muzzleloaders are fun to shoot.

I have a little gun like that one. I'd say the barrel is probably 3" in length. I got it from my grandparents years ago. I've only shot it three times and even got one of the lead balls stuck in the barrel. Gunsmith pulled it for free though.

I don't think I'll shoot it anymore though. Plan on finding some info on it though and I'll probably buy a new muzzleloader to take out to the range.

5. 7

If you're considering buying an inline do your homework first; there seem to be more shitty brands out there than ones actually worth buying. Traditions, White Rifles, Remington, and CVA (also marketed under the names BPI, Winchester, and New Frontier) should be steered clear of. Thompson, Austin & Halleck, and Knight are at the top of the pile, though Savage makes a ML that uses smokeless powder that people really like. I suggest you read some of the articles by Randy Wakeman that are located here, the man knows his stuff.

6. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

pyrodex sucks use regular black powder

7. 7

triple 7 > pyrodex > black powder

8. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

I had problems with pyrodex. rather use regular black powder.

9. 7

I use triple 7, its nice that it doesnt smell like ass and isnt as corrosive as black powder or pyrodex :embd:

10. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

How many grains of powder should I use for a .44 ball?

11. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Revolver or single shot? I use 20 or 30 grains for Colt style revolvers. Pyrodex now offers these in formed pellets of 30 grains, they make blackpowder shooting much more easy.

12. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Single shot.