A&P Black and White

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SICK GUY, Mar 19, 2010.

1. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

what do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I think they're boring. Subject > Processing

3. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

only post processing done was basic PS ones like auto tone, etc.

i work in a boring location.

4. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I like the tree picture

5. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

thanks

6. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

maybe like a roll of iso400 BW with all of it's annoyances

instead of color raw files converted :dunno:

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I love B&W pics... these look great. :cool:

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

some terrible vignetting in some.
    i like the processing, photos aren't terribly interesting.

9. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

omg get rid of that vignetting

10. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

que?

11. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

if you have seen any of my other pictures, i like to try different things. i like the heavy contrasts, a real divide.

youre entire quote just comes off as a bit "snooty". what would constitute interesting to you? are bridges like that one pretty common near you? the bridge is actually of some significance. it is built over the creek where gold was first discovered in colorado, which in turn spawned a gold rush to the state, and ultimately further west to california. its a landmark 5 minutes from my job, so i think its sort of interesting. plus, i like the way it casts lots of lines for shadows to compliment its lines going up.

how often do you see a cement truck driving over a mountain of broken up concrete? i work in a a very industrial industry. i have worked in and around concrete for years, so i like finding cool landscapes that are man made.

"interesting" is really a relative term, and it really sort of sits with each person differently. i may think your pictures are snoozeville (not that i do) but regardless if i feel that way, you probably still have like a million hits on flickr with tons of comments. its all about preference and style.

i think taking pictures is a bit of an addiction. :o

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  12. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

thank you. :)

13. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

dude you need to be able to take some criticism, Its his opinion, you put your images up on a public forum not everyone is going to like them. And you asked us "WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK" , Joey told you and you get all uppity. Sheesh. What would you prefer, "OMFG these are awesome! How did you take a pic with the dark edges around them, i want to do that!!!"

There is an old adage a picture is worth a thousand words... IMHO these pictures are worth maybe 10.

An interesting shot to the masses is something that grabs your attention, has good eye movement across the whole image, but all the while has something to focus on. Your image lacks a focus, and what i think is the subject is lost in the clutter of the rest of the image. The first thing to come to my mind when i see these images, "What am i looking at?"

With most landscape type images, typically you have to have some sort of foreground subject, in architecture images, you find yourself with a building that is the subject. You mention these images are to portray the bridge, but you show me nothing about it.

You also mention a cement truck, honestly i had to look at what image you were talking about, because the first couple glances i did not see a cement truck. After further investigation, i see it in one of your images, but its so far away that we cant tell what it is, i look at the image and see a landfill, with large glaring cement tubes pulling my eye towards it.

You will never get better if you always think your pictures are awesome. Learn to be objective to your own work, be your worst critic, and learn from it.

/realtalk

14. SICK GUY

SICK GUY 69, DUDE!!

first off, i dont think my pictures are all awesome, and my reply was hardly taking all kinds of offense to his comments. i was simply pointing out that whats interesting is relative to each person, if you really think its boring, at least explain why. i guess maybe i was thinking too highly of people to assume i could get some sort of "constructive" criticism. to your credit, atleast you offered up your reasons why you didnt like it. i can take an honest critique. i agree with you that criticism is a good thing if you want to improve, but you don't get a guy hitting a baseball better by simply saying "your swing sucks".

maybe im a weirdo, but out of respect for anyone that shares a common interest in photography, i would personally offer up a at least one or two valid points in how a person could improve upon something if it truly is boring.

asking "what do you guys think?", i guess i was posting in the "art & photography" threads hoping to spark a convo about black and white photography, or get people posting some of their own shots, maybe actually "share ideas", who knows. but as i try to actually participate in this sub forum, i'm finding this is a pretty serious bunch that only seem to care about rigs and gear more than actually just taking pictures.

i can go into the main forum and get that sort of lame criticism. clearly everyone is entitled to an opinion, as am i, so it is my opinion that there are far too many people wanting to sound like they know what they are talking about in here.

did you look this up in a book?

i think next time you have a friend ask you "what do you think of this drawing, photo, whatever tell them "i think its boring. what is even supposed to be? its totally uninteresting". see if they come to you for more of you critiques in the future.

IBialreadydidtellsomeonethatandtheycamebackthenextdaytothankme

15. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

I offered you the critique you describe and you still have an excuse for it. Sounds like you have sand in your vagina about your images not inspiring others. good luck to you. good day sir.