A&P BKHS: 5D2 and 12,800 ISO again

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by adamlewis88, Feb 12, 2009.

1. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Once again with the 12,800 ISO. Ive only shot one game this year at 3200 and one at 6400 . Rest are all 12,800.

Its not ideal, but I dont have portable lighting so 12,800 has to come to the rescue. IMO, DPP handles 12,800 a lot better than LR so for now Ive been using it. I much prefer the way that LR works though. Ill be happy when LR gets an update or Im able to get back to 6400 or lower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Still looks very clean for 12,800

I think I'm noisier at 1600 :rofl:

3. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

good god, that's like 400iso on the old 20D lol

4. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

No. Its plenty fast and tracks better than my MkIII did. Sure it doesnt have FPS but you dont need FPS either. Shootingon strobes effectively kills FPS but people do it all the time.

I wish people would understand 3 things about Canon cameras...

1. The 5D focuses very well
    2. The 5D2 focuses even better than the 5D
    3. Relying on FPS is probably the worst way to shoot. Learn to time your shots and youll come home with fewer pictures overall and a much higher percentage of quality work.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

#4 is my favorite

they do look pretty noisy though. I guess its still impressive for 12800

I haven't even shot that high on the D700 yet. I know I will get up above 6400 soon when I start doing some HS dance stuff for the GF's sister.

6. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I wish I had time to go shoot UofL and be back at 1600 ISO but this pays a lot more :noes: and is more flexible with everything else.

7. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Either your MKIII was broken or you didn't have it on AI Servo. No way the 5DII tracks better than the 1DIII

8. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Have you owned both?
    Have you shot extensively with both?

9. Keegan

Keegan New Member

I've shot extensively with the 1DIII and used the 5DII in a handful of situations. The 1DIII is simply a beast and I'd only take the D3 over it for sports. I'd personally never use the 5DII for sports, but if that's your cup of tea I've got nothing wrong with it.
    The shots look fine, and that's what we should be discussing. Cheers.

10. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

So youve never owned either of them?

Sorry...I just kind of take offense to your comment. My MkIII was not broken and I was fully aware of how to operate it. I shot well over 100,000 pictures with it in the time that I had it and Im not the only person who will agree that the 5D2 will track something a lot more consistently than the MkIII does.

Im not saying its faster than the MkIII, but its more consistent by leaps and bounds. I dont know of single person in real life or on the internet that could shoot a long series of frames from the MkIII and have them all in focus. The 5D2 does. I also dont know a single person in real life or on the internet that doesnt continually have the MkIII just misfocus every now and then. Sometimes its the first frame, sometimes its in the middle of a burtst...you never know. All you do know is its going to happen. The 5D2 doesnt do that.

You can defend it all you want. I did the same when I first bought it. However, the more I used it, and the more I saw other people use them, the more I see why everyone who was able made the switch to Nikon.

The MkIII is an amazing camera when it works. The 5D2 is an amazing camera all the time for me.

Maybe Ill take a look at the MkIV when it comes out but I definitely wont be an early adpoter.

BTW, you should try shooting with the 5D or 5D2 for sports. It will make you realize very quickly where you need to improve. Additionally, once you get it down, you end up with a much nicer file at the end of the day.

11. Keegan

Keegan New Member

I definitely agree with you... Having shot that many, I'm sure the discrepancies really shone. The 1 series that I own will do it too, but I'm not shooting huge bursts, just quick ones, so it's not as apparent.

If I can find some cash this summer I plan on it, but right now, longer glass is in order.

12. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

:love:

13. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

Nice shots as usual. I like 4, 5, and 6 the best. Can't believe that's 12,800 ISO :rofl:

14. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

12800ISO at 1/640 :BOWDOWN:

15. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

Nice shots. You captured the intensity and emotion of the game well. Who fucking cares if it's a bit noisy. You got the moment and that's what counts.

16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thats very true about the MkIII. Hence I'm using Nikon now. I hated the inconsistent focus of the MkIII. Even in only a two or three shot burst, you were likely to get one or more frames out of focus. It sucked for tracking. Great camera, like you said, when it worked, but it was a real pain most of the time.

Couldnt be happier with my D3s though. Simply night and day difference and wont look back for second. Hopefully Canon gets the MkIV fixed and working right.