MMA BJJers...so when you're in a bad position, where do you put your hands?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by rtzcom, Apr 20, 2009.

1. rtzcom

rtzcom bon wons! fight slepa for life sone!~

In defensive situations, for example,

If you find yourself mounted, your hands should be in the t-rex position and pushing off on the mounted persons hip/thigh

If someone has you on side mount, one hand should block the other guy from crossfacing you, and your other arm/elbow should be "hidden" or tucked close to your body.

If you're in someone's guard, you have to sit with good posture and keep your hands on the guys belt

I've been reading up and trying out some of saulo riberio's techniques, and they've been working for me in live rolling.

Feel free to correct me or suggest other hand positions.

2. snoodles

snoodles New Member

i've always been taught to keep your hands in and close. leaving them out is like a neon sign saying "submit me". also if you don't, you can get flatten/cross face you easily (like if someone has side control on you) and it's harder to get out of the bad position.

hope that helps some. hopefully i haven't been taught wrong haha.

3. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

Renato told me that whenever on the defense, pretend you're a ball. Keep arms and knees in tight, makes it harder for them to pass/get hooks/attack.

4. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I think it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.....Strictly defense then ball up.....You can always leave things out in the open for a split second to entice someone to go for the bait.....

5. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

my instructor says the same

6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

that's what i was told

7. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Been working on baiting the mount from sidecontrol a bit lately to take half guard + underhook or straight to the back. Try to keep by hands tight to my body and elbow on the mat. People are so worried about stepping one leg over you to get mount they tend not to concentrate on their other leg that is getting light(er).

8. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Or wait til they bring that leg over and use a modified flower sweep from bottom of mount

9. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

never been taught a flower sweep

details? sounds interesting/useful in that situation :wavey:

10. El Rudo

El Rudo The Borinqueneers

i second this request

11. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Hillary will teach you.

If someone can embed that would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aWk6yftxys

12. ZZex

ZZex New Member

13. energie

energie I like to place an order.. the name? Situation the

looks impressive but would be harder to pull off when someone on top is tryin to advance themselves

14. kroneX

kroneX New Member

that sweep works 10000 times better if you can 'gift wrap them' first

Its the same sweep but you take there left arm, pull it across your body so there left hand is next to there right face. Then they come behind your head and grab your left hand with there right hand.

Also I will add I prefer to actively work out of bad spots or at least back to my feet where i can use my judo. You do have to be careful in doing this though, but the way that i do it is basically controlling there hips with both arms straightened and try and come to my feet. It works neat from north south and side control, there is also a mount variant which one of our brown belts can pretty much use to get out of anyone's mount, even the bigger brown belts and the black belts

15. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

i'm very good at getting people off my back and regaining neutral position(s) from being dominated..

one of the best things i've found is balling like hillary said and we were taught by our judo instructor to close our eyes and just be calm and feel their weight and where they're going.

if someone is lunging (a lot of people do this) for a rear naked, or a hook or whatever else, time those lunges and capitalize on them.

a favorite of mine is usin the principles of a dropknee seoinage when someone has my back and is trying to get hooks. I bait them as a ball to try to lunge and get hooks or the choke and if they get too high or too heavy i "un-ball" my arms and grab one of the arms that is over my head and try to "throw" them from my ball position. a dropknee ends you up in this position anyway, so it's more of the same.

if you successfully throw them you'll end up still with them having your back via hooks or hip control, but you know have their arm and should be on top of it. pretty easy then for me to walk up their arm slowly with my arms (2 on 1) and eventually I have enough leverage to switch my hips into their guard, fully reversing position.

I realize this isn't super technical bjj but im not really trained in super technical bjj so im just offering what works for me. its more of a wrestling/judo mentality but feel free to take from it what you can :h5:

16. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

I agree completely, but i'm gift wrap retarded and can never it.

Jeff hits this sweep with a gift wrap all the time.

17. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

It depends on the position. Im rarely mounted for long I usually keep my hands or elbows on their knees. If they are up high I will bridge and try and move them down to my hips and from there try a upa or hook one of their legs and try to pull half guard or guard.

If I get mounted I will almost always be able to pull half guard worst case scenario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbQM2Y8qwf8

I pretty much do that its not the best but its highly effective

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

19. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

That' Joanne. She pretty much goes around and interviews all the big fighters and gets techniques with them. Pretty neat gig.

20. roose

roose Guest

Keep your hands together is the main thing I've learned so far.

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I was laughing when you were with her because the bitch makes you look like an amazon and shit. Your swoll compared to her ass