BJJ Therapy

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by Spectatorsport, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Spectatorsport

Spectatorsport OT Supporter

Figured I start a log to help me keep motivated to train. Been going off and on to this club for about 1 year now and was pretty sporadic. Trying to go at least once a week. Unfortunately the club is mainly Tues / Sundays and I can't make Tues due to work / school usually.

Going to go roll tomorrow at the club with a friend. Should be a good time since he just finished up rehabbing his knee and I haven't rolled in a couple months due to work / school.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight: 154.5

We showed up a little early and my friend went through flower sweep with me before everyone else got there. I need to work on my timing with raising my hips while I'm bringing my legs through, if that makes sense. Luckily he was pretty patient with me, but I'm still a little off in my timing. Then we did some inner thigh / hip throws and worked on my hand placement. Next we rolled and exchanged partners for a while. I got out muscled by a couple of bigger guys, and I need to work on getting out of side control and being more aggressive so I don't end up defending off my back so much.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight: 153.2

A bunch of people showed today so got a bunch of good rolls in. Didn't focus on anything besides trying to set up for a flower sweep, but I failed miserably. My timing is still off so I usually get passed during my attempts, but oh well. I did better being aggressive when on bottom, but still need to work on reversing my position on bottom, since if I can get on top I can do a lot better even with the bigger guys. I need to start lifting more to get more upper body / core strength.

Going to get the Roy Dean Blue Belt DVD and one of the Machado DVD sometime later this week from budovideos since I'm out of movies to rent, lol.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

Where in Ohio are you?

5. Spectatorsport

Cincy. I train over the dentist office if that makes any sense.

Where out in Cincy are you lolsti?

6. LOLSTi

LOLSTi DTOM

I train over at the Pedro School in Tri-County. A bunch of people who train at the office are also members of our school.

7. Spectatorsport

Sweet, I think we might have met once when your school visited.

8. Spectatorsport

Just got the Roy Dean Blue Belt DVD, saw some Side Mount escape pointers that I'm going to try tomorrow. I tend to get stuck in bottom when I roll with the bigger guys so hopefully this can help.

9. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight: 153.7

Only a couple of guys showed today, but got some good rolling in. The purple belt wanted us to work on our posture when attacking from the knees and we also worked transitioning from a seated position to knees etc... Than worked some side mount escapes with my partner before rolling with the other people there.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  10. Spectatorsport

Forgot to do my Morning Weight: Doh, but I should be around the mid to low 150's.

Today was a pretty good day of training, I worked side mount escapes and scarf (particularly modified scarf) escapes. Again I need to work on my hip movement during my escapes and to work on my arm position more. Especially from side mount escape where I need to establish an underhook and work my hand across my partner's back until my other shoulder is to the mat / I'm on my side so I can work on his arm and prevent him from posting as I escape / try and reverse position. We were rolling pretty well until my partner's toenail got bent backward, so just did lighter stuff with him after that.

11. dragomungus

dragomungus New Member

I have that DVD set. It's good stuff.

Good luck.

12. Spectatorsport

155 Lbs this morning.

Ate like shit this weekend and drank a little, hence the weight gain, ugh...

Good roll today though. Worked on moving from offensive position to defensive position (foot in hip) and vice versa when on our knees. At our club we roll a lot starting at the knees, since we have some more 'senior' members who don't want to get hurt too bad / multiple knee surgeries.

I was a little more relaxed today since when I first started I always had a death grip and was way too rigid and could not feel how my opponent was moving / shifting their weight. So I was able to get some counters and sweeps which had been eluding me. It was nice since there were 2 guys near my weight so it was a good workout. Then I got destroyed by a 230 lb purple belt as his warm up, he didn't us his full weight on me or it would have been a lot worse.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  13. Spectatorsport

Thanks, I really like it so far. I also got a Machado DVD set, one of them is a documentary but the other has instruction. Pretty crazy he can grapple so well with just one good hand.

14. u roll!? awesome sauce

15. Spectatorsport

Went yesterday after work, but only one of the 'key masters' a high level blue showed so we work some side mount escapes for a while. He was a good 75-100 lbs bigger than me, so thankfully he didn't smoosh me. He gave me some good pointers, 1) seems I'm over eager to go for full mount and tend to jump into it and leave a secure pin from side mount. 2) I tend to hesitate and sit back if I can't pass a person's guard when we are sparring, so I get knocked down / swept, so I need to be aggressive and stop being so defensive. 3) There was a kimura counter that he showed me, that he used on me a couple of times when I was in side mount. 4) Underhooks!!!!!!! especially when I'm on the bottom in sidemount, it sets me up for a good escape.

16. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight: 153.4.

We had 8 people show up today, so I got about 5-6 rolls in with everyone. Didn't really drill much until the end, when one of the blue belts went over the flower and scissor sweeps with with my partner and I was the dummy. It was a good refresher. We had 2 'new guys' that train out in Amelia come by so that was cool to roll with people besides the regulars. I work on not being so passive when we start out so I wasn't getting swept as much. Though I kept getting caught in two of my rolls in scissor sweeps, since I'm just hesitating once I break my partners closed guard. In one of my rolls I was able to get the takedown (starting from our kness) and got full mount. I tried S-mount (I've only had it done on me and haven't really practice it), and I found out I'm not as flexible lol as the guys that do that to me, so I switch to side control and got a kimura. So that felt good, but I still struggle getting the takedown and getting top position. I think a little bit of it is the weight differences and my lack of technique, but today one guy was about 30 lbs heavier but I was able to do a little bit better than usual, so that was a positive boost for me.

I rode about 25-30 miles 2 weeks ago on by road bike, but this past week it go cold again so no riding / running. Going to try and improve my cardio and run / ride more once the weather warms up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  17. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight 153.1.

Went over modified scarf and side mount escapes / sweeps. Kind of worked on it more with more emphasis my hip movement. I'm starting to get it a lot more and being more successful with it. Also learn a helpful tip since I'm not as strong as a lot of people I roll with, is that instead of pushing to establishment a post with my hands or elbows to walk away or towards to set up my hands automatically. This today once I got the hang of it helped a ton. Didn't get to do a free roll at all, but it was a really good session help improve little things.

Cycling tomorrow ~25 miles tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  18. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight: 154.1

Went over some details especially on hand placement among other things for kimura / americana from side mount. Things that I needed to work on were I tend to be to far down on my arm (and need to be higher on my wrist) to be able to apply more pressure without bringing my elbow up. We also worked transitioning from 'down' kimura to straight arm bar to 'up' kimura if that makes sense. Here I had to focus on sliding my lead arm under my 'former' lead arm if that makes sense and to keep a constant pressure on my partners arm. Secondly instead of grasping my arm and my opponents arm with my thumb under their / my arm, I wanted to have all my figures above, this helps increase my leverage and security from this position. After this got some good rolls in. I was able to get top and hold it for a while on a couple of people, though one guy who is new is strong as an ox and held me down in 'reg' scarf position. I was trying to escape, but he worn himself out trying to hold me down so we had to break.

19. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight: 153.4

Today it was actually warm in Cincy, but right now we have a t-storm moving through. Had the windows open at the place when we are training. Anyways, we went over guard passing in particular entry into an opponents open guard. Work mostly on ways to control the knees, something I tend not to do as I'm dumb and attempt to control their feet / ankles. Shown one pass where you post on one knee while going underneath the other leg and sucking it in to your chest and than stacking your opponent. I need to make sure my knees / base is wide enough since when I rolled wtih a bigger guy (185 lb) I got swept a couple times since my base was too narrow. Another way was to collapse on one leg / knee and walk out on the side and 'climb' up their leg into side control.

Did some rolling after that. Got demolished like usual by the 2 purples. I was getting tapped from weird places when I went against one of them. I was defending better the more common attacks that we had go over, but he would throw in some new stuff I hadn't seen before and proceeded to get owned. The other one was a way bigger guy but he played pretty nice, besides trapping my arms / neck with my own belt. Might have sprained my wrist though, in a scramble to takedown defense I posted on my hand and his elbow I guess came down hard on it.

20. Spectatorsport

Morning Weight:? Forgot to weigh myself before I ate this morning. So probably high 150's. My buddy a brown belt is in town so we are going to go train at the club this morning at noon. Will be interesting to see the turn out since it's Easter Sunday. Went to 8am mass, so I'm kind of out of it for a weekend, lol.

So it ended up being just myself, my friend, and the resident purple belt. They wanted to roll and I was their 'warm up' roll. But it was kind of neat, we just substitute in after ever 8-10 mins or longer depending on how people were feeling. I got p'owned like usual, but it was still a lot of fun. A lot of stuff I haven't seen before, and a lot of technique tweaking. I.e. for my RNC attempt, I was way too high on my partner, and not almost neck to neck, which made it next to impossible for me to control him. I forgot what they showed me next, about my hand position behind his head. It had to do with increasing my leverage to increase the pressure on the choke. One alternate way they showed me to choke was like drawing a sword (gable grip) which worked better for me. Also they told me to roll him onto my side (the one that my arm is across his neck should be on the floor, this helps limit his motion). Anyways another thing I worked on was being more aggressive and not just falling into my opponent's full guard, but scrambling more so I'm at least to half-guard. Also learned to use rubber guard, not so much as an attacking position, but more as a posturing position (since I'm still a noob / not that flexible). I do find myself a lot of times with one leg across their back, and losing position due to their posturing. I sometimes naturally reach for my ankle to hold them back down, one thing I was not doing was having my 'free' leg / foot pressing / following their hip and secondly the way I cup the leg on their back, I should go under my leg / not over, it really increase my strength in the position. Also, I was told to with my other arm to hook the / cradle my knee (the one across his back) and support the position. This helps stablize my guard and adds some to it as a hold. From here I could try attempt to triangle but more likely I would try and regain my full guard. At the end it was kind of fun, but I'm kind of hurting now, my friend went over some throws. He had some nice set ups from the tie up.

Got to eat some home cooked Pho for Easter dinner.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  21. Spectatorsport

Tuesday: Ran 3.05 miles at 19:02 per my Ipod Nike +, with my dog Sammi.

22. Spectatorsport

Today, we just went over transitioning from full mount to s-mount to arm bar, a move a brown belt had kind of shown 1 on 1 with one of our resident purples last week. So the purple was showing it to us, after catching one guy in it during a warm up roll.

Basically, after getting as high on the partner as possible (knees to their arm pits). You push their arms to one side. So now on the opposite side of the direction that you pushed the arms, you slide up your knee so it's parallel with their head. Next you reach through their arms if that makes sense to get to the shoulder (same side as the arms were pushed), and get a grip on their shoulder and start to pull / lift. Now you proceed to get your leg forward and almost under their shoulder, slowly walking it up (same side as palm under their shoulder / arms were pushed down). Next you lean to the same side as the arms were pushed down / on your buttocks and drag the other knee / shin across their face, extending their arm for the arm bar. You shouldn't have to fall back on your butt to get it, but should be able to submit them from here. It was a pretty neat finish move, but my knee flexibility is a little lacking so I might not attempt that.

After drilling this for a little bit, got 2-3 good rolls in. Went with one guy who has been consistently scissor sweeping me for the past couple of weeks. He caught me with one right off the bat, but after that I was able to lower myself and pin his legs and by keeping constant pressure pass his legs / avoid the sweep into side or at least fight for side. It tired him out quite a bit, and I wasn't as dead attacking. Since I would just collapse on the scissor and slowly crawl up. He had to push on my head / shoulders to slow my advance. I did get side mount and tried to hold it, but he broke me back into half guard and was even able to get full guard. But I was pretty happy not to get swept as often with him and at least be a little offensive and not just defend.

The second roll was with a relatively new guy who is really strong. Natural grappler, but he has a tenses to muscle through a lot, so the purple tried to get him to calm down a little to feel changes in the opposing persons balance / pressure. And with that advice he swept me / flipped me over when I was too high on him. He wasn't as nearly tired after our roll and we went for a good 15 minutes without stopping. Just transitioning from half to full to half guard for me / escaping mount and for him trying to pass my guard to get mount. I still get stuck when he get's a 'headlock' in scarf / mod scarf and my trapped arm's elbow isn't able to get back down to the floor. I tried a couple of counters we learned, but he had a solid grip on me and I wasn't able to reverse it. I was rocking enough / setting up the counter escape for the reg. scarf when we got done rolling was what the purple told me. So I need to work on that more.

23. Spectatorsport

Been going every 2-3 weeks now to BJJ, since I started getting more involved mentoring this kid.

Today just 2 other people showed up, but it ended up being really nice with the purple belt doing a lot of 1 on 1 instruction. It was no gi focused, on adapting to not having lapels / cuffs to grab on to. Worked on bottom in guard for arm bar. Basically you open guard, one foot goes into the hip, the other leg acts as a hook on their back. You raise your hips and climb the hook leg higher up on their shoulder all the while maintaining your hips up and into them (posting with leg in him). Simultaneously you torso / upper body goes away from being perpendicular to him as you swing your post leg across his head to be on the same 'side' as your main hook leg. You hands just be cupping his elbow and wrist. I like this set up a lot and was shown something kind of neat. When the opponent is posting on your ribs, instead of just pulling down you cup his elbows and rotate out. This was a lot more effective for me and didn't waste as much strength when I normally attack peoples hands when they are in my guard. We just rotated rolling between the purple belt, and us 2 relatively noobs. Got a good work out in. Last thing we did for fun, since the other noob asked was looked at kicking technique. Not having done any martial arts besides BJJ and a little judo, I don't know how to kick. Went over basic front kick with foot / step position and round kick foot / step position.

24. Spectatorsport

Went today, forgot to get a AM weight. Just 2 other people there with me. One guy is only 10-15 lbs more so it was really nice to roll with him. He is a good deal stronger than me, but I was able to get some nice escapes from bottom by getting my underhooks (primarily in one direction he preferred attacking from one side). We were doing no gi so I was a lot slippier than usual and was able to escape. I failed miserably trying an armbar but it was ok. Than rolled with the resident blue belt who is a great deal bigger and stronger than the 2 of us and just cycle between us. Did about 1.5 hrs, worked on trying to hold our other opponent down and starting over in any top pin / full mount. I need to attack while maintaining my balance in full mount. I usually don't get to be in full mount much at the club as one of the lighter guys, so I was getting tossed. That's all I can think of for now.

25. Spectatorsport

Whoa, totally forgot to keep updating this log. Still a white belt and my old training place kind of had to relocate since our location that was donated got put back into service / use for the Dentist who was a founding member. We had to switch to training at someone's place / garage so it was a little harder.

Well, I moved recently to the triangle area in NC to continue grad school etc.. Yesterday was the first day heading to the club team practice at Duke. The guys there were really awesome! The room was nice, I think it's the practice room for the Wrestling team and all the martial arts / boxing groups share use of the room.

I was at 150 lb after the practice, with minimal cardio / no lifting for the past 3 months due moving and what not. So I almost puked after rolling, it was a good feeling to get back on the mat though.

Rolled with one guy that was maybe my height and about the same weight. Then 3 guys that were close to my size but definitely 10-15 lbs heavier at least. One was on the Duke varsity wrestling team so he took me down all night but he is still learning about BJJ. Strong as an ox, in shape, so he wore me out. Then rolled a little with 2 guys from stand up. Tried singles on both and got guillotined once and was able to escape from one. I think from talking with them, most of them don't do a single and recommended I switch to a double leg or work ankle picks and such to avoid getting my head / neck caught. My arms were jelly at the end.

Woke up sore and what not today; but, glad to find a good group to roll with. The team dues are bad and the times work well for me due to my classes. I had trouble contacting the team president / other officers since the website was out of date.