MMA BJJ Students... Describe a typical class session

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Antigeek, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Just trying to get a comparison to the two nights I went to Gracie Barra Northshore last week....

2. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

I'll break down the hours by the minute:

1st hour (GI BJJ):

0-10 warm ups/stretch
    10-40 techniques/drills
    40-60 roll (4 minute rounds)

next 1.5 hours (no gi bjj/mma)

0-10 warmup
    10-30 standup/takedown drills
    30-60 box/mma sparring (no bjj, takedowns only) 3 min rounds
    60-90 no gi bjj/mma w/bjj 4 min rounds
    90+ die from exhaustion

3. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

Are the techniques/drills random or is there a progression to what you learn?

Last week's classes seemed a bit haphazard. Monday we worked triangles from the guard, and Wednesday we drilled kimura and armbar from the guard, and then worked on 2 gi chokes from a knee on chest position. Then we rolled... 4 minute rounds. And after that on Monday, I got my ass kicked by a world class black belt for another 4 minutes.

4. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

the techniques seem a bit random like how you described.

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

unless your school is brand new, or everyone is brand new, the instructor just instructs on what he thinks the class should know and what woudl best benefit the group. so sometimes things seem "random".

6. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

:hs:

I know it's not feasible since most schools have such small classes, but one thing I really liked about TKD was we were able to split up white/orange/yellow belts from everyone else to make sure they had a good grasp of the fundamentals before becoming cannon fodder for the upper ranks.

When I started TKD in college, there were 3 classes (for PE credit too), one class just for white belts, one for orange/yellow belts, and one for green belt and above. You had a year-year and a half of training before you got into the advanced class.

7. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I've been to 3 schools.

The best so far has been new breed academy. Start with warm up run, a lot of stretching, and then push ups, squats, situps, and other warmup exercises.
    Then a solid session of technique which goes from a one or takedowns, to a guard pass and then a submission or two. In the beginner class they are drilled separately and then lastly drilled as a complimenting set.
    In the advanced class we go through the drills faster and then try to use the drilled technique in sparring.

The last two camps I've been at do a warm up run, then maybe sometimes well stretch, then the warmups are entirely random. We might get a new takedown or just use a reliable one from before, we may gloss over the guard pass and we don't always get a new submission.
    I miss my old school, but its so damn far. My schedule and traffic sucks and gas is expensive.

8. Rob H

Rob H New Member

i go to Gracie Barra in Costa Mesa and our class usually goes like this:

*Stretches/Excercises for about 5-10 minutes
    *Instructor demonstrations and drills the next 35 minutes
    *Guard Drills (3 minute rounds) next 10-15 minutes
    *Streches for a few minutes to end class.

9. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I usually sit around on the mat and stretch a little and bullshit. Maybe 10 minutes of light rolling to warm up. Work the days techniques (usually 3-5) with progressive (start dead weight and work up to say 90%) resistance and then a couple rounds of drilling from each techniques position. Then maybe 20 minutes of rolling.