MMA BJJ rant

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kilian, Oct 13, 2007.

1. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

So i started taking classes at a Gracie Barra.
    Only been there one week, and I was rolling slaughter line style (one guy rolls 1 min with each person there in succession) and someone got me in a arm triangle from the bottom. I was doing fine, it wasn't tight, but he wasn't letting go, so out of instinct I picked him up to create space, and ended up slamming him inadvertently. Got told to sit out and got scolded. My bad, I apologized, all good.

Instructors tell me look its really a team attitude we just dont want animosity etc. The advanced class is totally relaxed and mature, so you need to be like that i fyou want to move up.

Fastforward to today:
    Blue belt asks me to roll at free mat session, Im like ok.
    Dominate position the whole time on him, switch from guard to half to side to northsouth back to half, work a kimura he pops out of it with his head, and eventually i scramble to my stomach on a failed transition.

He takes my back and literally plays grips trying to shoot a choke for 5 minutes. I base up repeatedly but he wont let go of tight ass hooks, and eventually im playing grips on top of him on my back.

He gets frustrated that some white belt noob is defending every choke he pulls, so the fucker shoots his whole arm across my face, cross locks, and squeezes. I tap immediately from pain and my mouth is cut up to hell.

He's just like oh my bad. Fucker. So hypocritical to tell me that the class is all about rolling and gently working technique then one of your "mature" advanced people pulls a bitch move.

FUCK so annoyed. :madfawk: :madfawk:
    :rl:

Cliffs: asshole blue belt gets dominated in position and submission work for 10 solid minutes, then can't get a choke grip to save his life on me, decides to be a dick and rear naked my face intentionally.

2. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Wear a mouthguard. :dunno:

3. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Yea I realized I should probably get one, just the intent behind the move annoyed the shit out of me.

4. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I was grappling the other night with a 2-stripe white belt and got an elbow in the face which led to a busted lip. It happens.

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

try not to take any of that stuff personally. go there to get better, and thats it.

6. Optamix

Optamix New Member

oh, im so sorry. You do realize your in a contact sport...right?

And I think its bullshit that you got bitched at for "slamming" a guy that could have let go when you went to create space.

Find a better gym?

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

yeah thats not nice that they yelled at you for doing something on accident.. but maybe its just cus they dont know you well yet. theres a lot of retards that come into bjj places and try to be muscle heads

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

uh, i think all of us can list many injuries from rolling, things get rough even under best of circumstances so once in awhile someone gets a bit carried away, doesn't sound like you did anything to bad and neither did the blue belt, if you didn't slam the shit out of the guy you shouldn't have been singled out like that imo, and a crossface is fair game so i don't get the anger

9. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah take a deep breath and realize, the guard slam is a TUF noob standby and is really a safety issue more than anything. I'm sure you aren't on heavy watch for being a douche or anything but new guys always go for guard slams and when an instructor sees that it's his job to let you know not to roll like that.
    a crossface is a different story, just a pain compliance move and part of the game. don't be a whiner, just take your licks and be humble (something it sounds to me like you could work on too) and continue to learn. it's a rough sport, but a fat lip is the least of your worries.
    either suck it up and keep training or take your toys and go home :dunno: it's your decision

10. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Are you really getting so upset over a cross face?

11. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Wow...as much as your bitching, one would think he crossfaced your pussy.

12. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i got punched 4 times in teh face in 5 days while shooting in for double legs, ya it's annoying, but sometimes it's just part of the game. i now make sure i clear their hands before i shoot rather than coming in from too far out.

13. yesitisyellow

yesitisyellow New Member

wait, so is choking someone's face in the rules or not? This happened to me on the first day of class and I was surprised that it was allowed when a RNC was defended against. It seems the rules allow whatever you want as long as you submit the other guy, correct?

14. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I don't think neck cranks are legal, but I end up tapping to one every class.

15. ZZex

ZZex New Member

Hey, at least you don't get tapped every time you roll with someone. 4th class in so far, and I get WTF OWNED by every one. I then think about what I did wrong, and just :wtc:

16. Titus

Titus New Member

i can't believe you're bitching over a fucking crossface

17. NinjaBread

NinjaBread New Member

I'm glad our school is small and tight-nit, people always stop and apologise if they do something they think may have hurt the other person.

Don't take it so personal, be nice to the people that have been doing this for years and learn from them. Accidents happen.

18. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

those damn blue belts...

19. I got crossfaced so much in my few days of training that I have a deviated septum. :wtc:

20. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Jesus Christ...are you in ballet class? This is a /combat sport/. :mamoru:

21. NinjaBread

NinjaBread New Member

Theres no million dollars in beating someone while training

22. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

stick around longer than 4 days, you'll improve. if you didn't get 'wtf owned' by people who have been practicing longer than you.... would you really want to learn from them?

23. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Something smells fishy about a blue belt taking 5 minutes to put a choke on a guy who has only been there a week...

getting hit, kneed, slammed is all part of the game.

i can see your instructors point about slamming the guy and its your first week. Because bjj attracts a lot of tools when someone slams in their first week it looks like they bob sapp wannabe. However if you didnt do it on purpose, keep trucking!

Finally its a combat sport, man up or go home, i accidently crossfaced a fellow white belt 4-5 times in a roll by accident, he took it well because he knew there was no malice or intent behind it and that it was accidental. Anyway have fun and dont slam excessivly, see rule number 5 in the black belt commandments here http://www.graciemag.com/news/145/ARTICLE/8029/5/2007-09-06.html

24. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

What in the hell... stop it, you're freaking me out, stop being so serious :noes:

25. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Kilian, whats you're experience? Have you've wrestled before? Judo? Age/Weight?

It would explain a lot of things if you told us some of this stuff. A lot of wrestlers go into BJJ with the whole "wrestling attitude" and trying to slam people and crossfacing, dirty wrestling, etc. without knowing they're doing it because its so natural to them.