MMA BJJ ranking question

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by JumboJym69, Jul 10, 2006.

1. JumboJym69

JumboJym69 New Member

So how are your skills tested for belt promotions in BJJ? Does your teacher just watch you and occasionally roll with you and just let you know when you are ready or what?

2. WiKiD

WiKiD U MAD?

I havent been to any other schools but i can tell you how it works at mine. One saturday out of every month is a promotion day. If you have put in the required weeks to be eligible for a promotion you are allowed to come in and try. The instructor asks people to perform certain moves that he should be able to do cleanly and efficiently at that level. Afterwards he will observe the student in free training to see if they are ready. It really is diff from any other martial art i have done. All the other stuff had a set number of moves or katas you had to memorize. With BJJ it just seems the instructor will promote you when you are ready. Of course i could be completely wrong, just how my school works.

3. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

At our school, belts are awarded based on the number of seconds it takes Chuck Norris to submit you, with each surviving second being one belt up. Needless to say there has never been a blue belt in our schools existence.

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

it differs from school to school. usually instructors see you train a lot.. and know what you're capable of. when youre ready, they give you a new belt, simple as that. in other schools.. sometimes they test you on your technical knowledge before awarding a belt.

5. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Rodrigo tells you when you're ready....we have a "blue" belt test...but it's not like people think...it's more of a warm up x100 and then 2-3 hours of sparring with all the senior belts....usually winds up being a 4-5 hour day from what i've been told :o

6. xinster

xinster New Member

if you have to pay for your belt, you have made fatal error A1

7. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

own all the white belts, you get the blue and so on.

8. fighter4life

fighter4life New Member

From my school website forum

This is something we wanted to do since we have alot of new students and people new to the Brazilian Jiu-JItsu world. This is a list of the belts, their colours and the stripes that you see on the belts. What they mean, how long will it take you to get them and why do we have them.
    BELT RANKS
    white-blue-purple-brown-black-red
    Stripes-indicate the progression on each belt to changing colour. For example.

white belt-brand new student, starting from scratch

white belt with one stripe-training for anywhere from one to six months. Learning basic subs and learning basic positions.

white belt two stripes-training from anywhere from 3 months to 9 months. Again, continually learning the basic moves and time on mat. Starting to pass the introduction stage and learning more submissions/defenses etc

white belt three stripes-training anywhere from 9 months the 18 months.
    Still learning basic submissions/defenses from different positions. Starting to flow more in rolling. Getting the basic submissions on newer students. Introduced to most of the basic positions on the mat and have a know-how of basic subs and defenses from most basic positions.

white belt four stripes-good knowledge of basic subs/defenses/positions. Rolling as much as possible and spending alot of time on the mat. Introduction to positions such as knee on belly submissions, attacks from the back, etc. Starting to apply one submission in order to get a second submission. Anywhere from 12 months on... next is blue belt

Just a general note that stripes not only recognize a students ability but also a students time on the mat as well. It is also a devise that helps the instructor know who has been around and for how long. A belt colour is a belt colour don't forget and the stripes really do nothing more then indicate your time (1st) and ability (2nd) on the mat.. (the colour is more of an knowledge/ability thing)

Hope this info helps....
    We will also be putting out the different techniques that should be understood from all the levels. This gives students an opportunity to ask about a technique if they haven't seen it and should have...