MMA BJJ etiquete question

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Ricey McRicerton, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

We had a guy show up to our school on Monday that none of us knew. He had a blue belt on and was telling us that he was going to start training with us.

If you guys were new to the area and had not trained with an affiliate school, would you carry your old belt into your new school?

We had a few guys who seemed to make a big deal about it and just curious to see what everybody in here has to say.

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I would ask the instructor upon signing up, and if he recognized it then I would wear it. Personally, after I got my blue, I gave away my white to another student who needed a belt. So I don't have a belt to go back to if I visit another school.

I assume the guys making a big deal are not the instructor? It's just an ego thing then.

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

If he rolls like a blue belt, then why take his belt away :dunno:

But if he rolls like a white belt then... :hsugh:

4. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

My school is no-affiliation and we have guys from all around of all belt colors just stop in. No one seems to care. I travel all around and always wear my purple. :dunno:

If he rolls like shit and it seems to be fake, the instructor should sit him down away from class and speak with him. If not, just let the dude keep it. No reason he should have to start over.

5. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Up to the instructor to decide

6. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Me and the 2 other blue belts that were there rolled with him and I tapped him 3 times in 5 minutes rolling and I'm smaller than he is by about 30 lbs. :hs: He's definately not completely new, but I'm not sure he's a blue belt compared to the rest of them at our school.

I don't really give a damn what color he's got around his waist, but one of the other blue belts there was a little frustrated with it. :dunno:

7. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Take it as a compliment to your school's more strict belt requirements?

8. Sylva

Sylva New Member

If he's got a legit promotion from a legit instructor/school who are you to take it away?

9. Bausk

Bausk New Member

True. He may know the technique required by his previous school for blue belt, but is weak at rolling? Or at least weaker than you and the other blue belts at your school.

10. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

this

- not all schools are the same. even i saw this while doing TKD for so many damn years

11. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

our academy has a everyone starts from white rule..
    if you're good you get promoted to where you belong..

with that said i'm sure if you're a gracie barra purple belt they're not going to ask you to start from white belt

12. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Blue belts aren't shit anyway. Shouldn't matter imo. Purple and up should be put through the ringer and evaluated.

13. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

only thing that bothers me about people wearing their belt, is if they rock a their tkd, judo, or karate belt. we've had some guys wear their black belt from their old schools :mamoru: when they dont have any bjj training. thats the worst.

oh best is the marine martial arts, these guys come in, saying theyre black belts in marine martial arts, and try to tell the instructors what works and what doesnt in bjj :ugh2:

14. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

Ooh, I should show up to BJJ with my Shotokan black belt sometime. Now that would be funny.

15. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I think the skill is the ultimate factor. If he rolls like a blue, then fine. If he seriously rolls like it's his first class, then the instructor should discuss it with him. If he has been training for years, got his blue and still rolls like it's his first day, then I want to know where he got his blue from.

16. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Belt promotions are not always about skill. Sometimes they are given out simply b/c someone has put in their time, training day in, day out, always there learning. They may know all the techniques but have trouble performing them against people and therefore apearing unskilled or undeserving. Could be b/c of their physical ability or a slew of other factors.

Those are words I've heard from many of the brown/black belts that I know.

17. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Older people arent expected to keep up in rolling with the younger guys either.

18. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Exactly.

19. ZZex

ZZex New Member

I can agree with that.

20. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i wore my brown belt to my new academy.. :rofl:

i wouldnt change my belt unless they ask me to. we're all doing the same martial art, so wtf...

21. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Sometimes I wonder about stuff like this, where I stack up, how other schools train, or whatever. Then I remember Im just a blue belt and it doesnt really matter. Maybe after 10 more years of BJJ I can start to think about stuff like that. Until then Im just going to concentrate on getting myself to class, staying healthy, and putting time in on the mat.