MMA BJ was hurt

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Drummer161616, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Drummer161616

Drummer161616 New Member

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=3627

It’s a new and uncomfortable position for BJ Penn. Unable to train after being diagnosed with strained muscles and a broken rib suffered during a gallant effort in defeat against UFC 170-pound champion Matt Hughes at UFC 63 on September 23rd, Penn is stuck on the couch, just like the many who questioned whether he was truly injured late in the second round of the welterweight championship bout.

But according to a medical report by Dr. Sameer Nagda, Penn did fracture the right tenth costochondral junction and did strain the adjacent intercostal musculature and oblique musculature during the Hughes bout, putting to rest speculation that ‘The Prodigy’ simply ran out of gas between rounds two and three. One of those who did question Penn’s conditioning was Hughes, who avenged his 2004 loss to the Hawaiian via a third round TKO. It’s something that doesn’t sit well with Penn.

“I want to smash his face so bad,” said Penn. “I don’t think about anything else except smashing Hughes’ face. I don’t like him at all.”

There will be no face smashing in Penn’s immediate future though, as he will probably not return until 2007.

“I’ve been out for three weeks already and the Doctor said don’t do anything for at least another two weeks – nothing at all, just stay on the couch,” he said. “I’ve been bored as hell. I can’t surf, can’t do nothing. When I try to tread water with my hands, it pulls, plus I can only lie in certain ways, so I’m sure I’m out for the rest of the year.”

It's not the way Penn planned things, or the way he expected them to go when he walked into the Octagon at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim on September 23rd. Filling in on short notice for the injured Georges St. Pierre, Penn felt that he was mentally and physically ready to beat Hughes a second time and once again claim the UFC welterweight crown.

And for the first round and three quarters, things went according to plan as Penn’s standup was crisp, and his ground game was stellar as usual. Then, late in the second, as Hughes looked to ground and pound his way to victory yet again, something happened.

“Hughes was doing good, he was still fighting, and I was against the cage in my guard, and Hughes was throwing these big elbows,” recalls Penn. “I was thinking ‘man, this guy is really trying to hurt me, he’s throwing these elbows hard.’ (Laughs) And then he overthrew one and I was waiting for it. I snuck up his side instead of going to his back, and as soon as I started to come around the side and as I lifted my right arm over to reach around for his hip, I didn’t think my rib broke; I thought it was a separation. I felt something I never felt in my life; I felt a gap in my side right where my ribs meet the top part of my stomach muscles. I felt that gap for like a second and then it closed and as soon as that happened I realized that I had to finish the fight.”

Strangely enough, he almost did, as he worked for a potential fight ending submission on the longtime champion that Hughes admitted forced him to say a little prayer as the seconds ticked away on the round.

“I got on his back, look at the clock and realized that there was only a minute and 15 seconds,” said Penn, who admits grabbing Hughes’ shorts in an attempt to get more leverage. “I gotta do something now, I’ve got to try to put him away. My regular thinking if I would have gotten to his back would have been to stay on him like I did on (Takanori) Gomi and just kept beating him up – hitting him, bloodying him up, maybe even take my time and get a choke.”

“I tried to trap his arm with my legs so I could get a rear naked choke on him and then he spun real quick so I went to the next thing,” continues Penn. “I went to the triangle, which is a move I really like to do from there and then I started grabbing his arm and pulling his arm with all my might and we all know Matt defended well and ended up surviving.”

Ten minutes down, 15 to go, and 15 to go with a broken rib. Penn gave no thought to quitting.

“I knew something was wrong, but I knew I was in great condition, so I figured I’ll just come out and kick his ass again,” he said. “So I’m sitting down, and then I stand up and I knew I didn’t feel good. But I said, ‘screw it, earn your belt. Through pain, you don’t feel good, you feel tired, so what, go out there and earn it, this is what you’ve got to do to become a world champion.’”

“I felt that UFC world championship around my waist,” he said. “I know what that feels like and I wanted it again. It’s almost like the Lord of The Rings with the precious, that ring. It’s like you’ll do anything for it and you’ll put yourself in harm’s way and it doesn’t matter.”

It wasn’t going to happen, not on this night. Penn was visibly bothered by the injury and looked sluggish at best in round three. Hughes, like a veteran champion, smelled blood and pounced, and soon it was over as Penn took a series of unanswered shots to the face.

“Even when (referee) Big John (McCarthy) stopped the fight, I thought I got out,” he chuckles. “I was gonna try and grab his leg, but then I realized the fight got stopped, and then I realized that I couldn’t move or breathe.”

Penn was propped up and virtually carried back to the dressing room after the fight, and now he’ll just have to sit and wait for his next shot at glory in the Octagon. There will be no shortages of challenges waiting for him when he gets back though.

“I want to fight St. Pierre, I want to fight Hughes, and you’ve also got the winner of TUF 4 that’s going to get a title shot, and you’ve got Diego (Sanchez) as well. I’m just going to sit here and see what (UFC President) Dana (White) wants to do. I just want to go back, get in good shape, and get out there again.”

Penn’s attitude is positive, though his disappointment is obvious. He was thisclose, but not close enough. All he hopes for is that a shot at redemption will come again.

“The hardest thing and one of the reasons why I went out in the third round is that it felt like destiny,” Penn admits. “It felt like this was gonna happen. When I lost to GSP (St. Pierre), I was really hard on myself because I knew I didn’t do my homework and I did get tired in the third round, that’s for sure. In this one, I did everything right – I trained, I did all my explosive training and long-distance training and conditioning, everything I was supposed to do - and then something like this happened. But life is good. Everything always works its way out, and everything happens for a reason. I thought that night was supposed to be the greatest night of my life, but it will be saved for another greater day.”

2. KRUSTYTHECLOWN

KRUSTYTHECLOWN OT Supporter

Doctor Nagda FTW!!!!!
    That guy is Awesome, I had the pleasure of working with him during his Fellowship. One of the Best Sports Medicine Doctors I've ever worked with. :bowdown:

3. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I really wanna see diego vs bj just to see diego get choked out or knocked out.

4. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I can sympathize with BJ. I got injured in the middle of a tournament against a kid who was grappling for I think a grand total of 2 weeks. My lower back muscle was strained and I could not move at ALL for the rest of the match.

5. Lester206

Lester206 inc

BJ vs Diego would be nice

6. xinster

xinster New Member

nice lord of the rings reference.

7. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

BJ
    Hughes
    GSP
    Sanchez

any combo would be a good fight.

8. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Is the title of this thread an attempt to mitigate the fact that BJ lost? Seems like it. BJ lost, get over it.

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Yeah I did not know that anybody was challenging the excuse he gave after the fight. He still has lost consecutive fights in which he was winning early.

10. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

There have been a lot of BJ apologists online. They always go to the fact that he was dominating until he got hurt. I just hate excuses. Losing is losing. The circumstances don't matter. It isn't a court of law, it's a fight and you either win or lose. Does luck play into it? Sure it can, but at the end when someone looks at your record it's either a W or an L (maybe a Draw). You don't get an * next to either.

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yet you make excuses for Franklin? He didn't lose "that bad"? Seems like BJ fans are doing is what you are doing with Franklin.

12. Neal&Bob

Neal&Bob New Member

This news was known immediately after the fight. Nothing new.

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Now it's official. Only BJ knew what happened to him for sure. Hughes thought it was fatigue and something like this can't be substantiated until a doctor can check it out.

14. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Nope, Franklin lost. He got beat by a better fighter that night. No excuse. Losing is losing. From watching the video it didn't appear as bad to me as others said it was. Silva was dominant by far in the clinch, out side the clinch not as much IMO (In fact I am going to watch again and see if I change my mind), but that's just my opinion. No apology for Franklins performance. I think had the fight not ended whne it did, barring a complete change Franklin woud have lost the fight and no one would hear any statement from me contrary. That is totally different from BJ apologists.

15. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Neal and Bob, well i hate to say it but judging by your forum name i'm guessing your the kind of guy that likes to eat his banana's the LONG way? But enough of your personal life... Go put your dress on and prance around in front of the mirror because MMA doesn't seem to be your thing :mamoru: :greddy:

The news was OBVIOUSLY NOT known right after the fight to all the world because I have read over 25 article from major news papers or online articles saying that they couldn't believe how BJ was "In such horrible shape and how he gassed so bad", had people known what really happened to him they may have given him just a "tad" more credit for the amazing fight he put on.

Yes we all know who won and who lost but there is nothing wrong with discussing the primary reasons why. All I know is there WILL be a Hughes/Penn III some day in the 2007 season.

16. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Ummmmmm. I tore my ACL in the second round of my last fight and finished. oh and I won 30-24.

17. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: We are not worthy :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Your right Bj Penn is a HUGE pussy, and so are the rest of us, especially for being such nuthuggers for allowing him to have a primary reason for the turn in the fight. That's what your saying right?

18. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. That's what you think. What I am saying and what I said is my comments are directed at the "BJ apologists". Not the fighter himself.

And my comment about my ACL was directed to the moron who told me to break a rib and then talk shit.

19. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

Also keep in mind that you weren't fighting the best 170 pound fighter on the planet.. You were fighting some douchebag at a local show.[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Ever fought injured? Ever fought period? I'm really curious. Take things personal much? As for fighting the best 170lber you are right, and you seem to be confusing the fact that my comments are all directed to Penn apologists not the fighter himself. Penn has made no excuses. Nor would I expect him to. He has enough fanboys who are more than happy to do it.

21. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I can't stop laughing...

22. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Neither can I.:bigthumb:

23. xinster

xinster New Member

god damn another thread my little monkey brain can't follow because of the flaming.

24. xinster

xinster New Member

What excuses? Hughes was the one that gave BJ the smackdown. That's what happens when you blast the ribs, they might break. Like when you elbow the forehead. It might bleed. That's why people target those areas, to win!

25. gtpjim

gtpjim New Member

GSPFAN is pretty gay.