Biwiring - Home Audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kazmont, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Ok, here is the deal.. I have some speakers that i want to biwire. now, my reciever accepts both banana and spade ends. currently, im running a set of Z1 cables from my speakers to the reciever connecting with the banana plugs. I spent 80 each on the cables and Id like to use them. my question is, can i biwire by running a second set of cables and connecting them with the spades or will that kill the signal? Do i need to just splice two sets of cables and recrimp the ends? I really dont want to cut the cables... im on a pretty limited budget.
    any useful info would be appreciated.

2. 04

04 Guest

Sure you can do that, but it wont make any audible difference. Why did you bother spending 80 dollars on speaker wire if you can't even hook it up properly?

3. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

well.. actually it was 160 since i bought two of them...
    are you familiar with biwiring at all? Or are you just responding. The speakers are made for biwiring and the reciever can handle the load. I bought the wires when i first bought the speakers before I really knew about biwiring. Now that I have the cables for running one set per speakers I was just wondering if that setup was possible without a loss of quality. Since i spent the money on the cables I really dont want to not use them.

4. 04

04 Guest

Kazmont: Yes, I am very familiar with biwiring. Just because the input terminal cup has two sets of binding posts does not mean you have to run wires to both of them. Many times they have a bus bar between the two sets effectivly shorting them for when you want to "single wire" it. The true advantage to allowing such a setup, however is that you can remove the bussbar, and amplifiy the woofer and tweeter seperatly. I am not sure if your speaker is set up this way or not. I would assume it is. I personally would return one set of cables, because I see no reason to try and smash both sets of conductors into the single binding post out jack on your receiver. I am very confused though, because you said you have the Z1 cables? Monster z1? If so, I installed a pair of those for my cousin's stereo. I don't believe they come terminated with spade connectors. How are you going to attach the spade connector to one set?

What speakers are you running?

5. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Yes, monster Z1s... and they are banana pins. I dont currently own any spade end wires... if that was a possible set up then i would do that. I know that monster makes the Z2 as well that has a biwire output. I know all about the jumper bar and ive read from several other people that replacing just that with a different jumper increased the quality of the sound. We have a store here that sales high quality DIY stereo stuff. I might see if i can sell my Z1 cables and just have them make me some biwire cables to do it right. My main question is though, if i got a pair of cables that had spade ends, would i lose quality using both that and the banana pins at the receiver and attaching the other ends to the respective top or bottem connectors on the speaker?

The main speakers are Energy XL:26's and the center channel is an XL:C2 which is also biwire capable.

this is basically what im wanting to know if it will work properly...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2002