Bittorrent kills Verizon-branded GT704WG, any ideas?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Synner, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Synner

Synner New Member

Like the title says, it's an Actiontec GT704WG, verizon firmware. Every time I run Bittorrent for more than say half an hour, the connection dies, and I have to manually reset the router. I've read that using the retail firmware will fix the issue, can anyone confirm?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I used to have the same unit:
    [​IMG]

I can confirm that retail firmware does fix a lot of crap. But it's gonna depend on what Verizon disabled. My ISP (Qwest) had the majority of customizations and tweaks hidden. With the retail firmware it enabled those pages, and that gateway has some pretty nice features. The big options for me were to disable the (shitty) firewall. That fixed a lot of my connection problems. I also enabled QoS (which is pretty well implemented in these units).

3. Synner

Synner New Member

Shitty firewall is disabled by default, and QoS.....well, I'd be lost, instantly. I'll be doing the update tonight so I don't kick my roommate offline, but after that, I'll see what's enabled, and put up a list so everyone else with this router can decide for themselves if it's worth it.

4. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

My old Dlink used to drop out while using torrents, it just couldn't handle the level of connections coming in and would die. I think the NAT table was filling up.

New router hasn't given me any problems (DSL-504T).

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Take the top of the case off.