BitTorrent connection speed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supernoma, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

Im using BitTorrent and Im getting horrible connection speeds. Im lucky to get over 25K download. I havent messed with the upload settings, but I dont know how people can get 180-200K download speeds.

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I haven't played with BitTorrent, but I was reading the interview with Mr. Cohen (developer of BitTorrent) - interview was on slashdot.org today (Monday June 2).

If you're leaching, BitTorent throttles your bandwidth. But if you're uploading and downloading (and playing nicely) then BitTorrent ups your bandwidth. I don't know your network or download/upload situation, but this might be something to ponder...

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yep. This also means that your download will start slow, since at the beginning you're just downloading the file, not uploading it too, but as you have more of it downloaded and thus can share more of it it gets faster.

Also, I think 180-200k is maybe a little exaggerated... I've only used it a couple times but when I did it only got up to 50-60k. This could also be because I wasn't uploading any other files though (just the one I was downloading).

4. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky 06 08 33 35 36

I think the setting is just determined by whatever you're upload is throttled at, not the actual speed it's going.
    The lack of good connections is simply because BitTorrent makes it too unconvenient to leave the box open after you're done d/l the file. Bad design.