Bittorent Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by seven, Mar 9, 2005.

1. seven

seven New Member

I have a lan/T1 connection here in my dorm, but the max i have ever got on bittorent is about 10k/s.

I checked the stats of the other leechers and almost all of them were going above 75k/s.

Anybody know why my connection is slow?

2. EthersFury

EthersFury New Member

School's usually have a firewall. I'm not too familiar with the situation. Try working with what's in front of you first. You might need to forward the ports. WHat client are you using to download?

3. seven

seven New Member

at first i was just running the normal bittorent client, then i uped and got bitcomet which was sorta fast but not by much. but it let"s you see how fast others are dling, so i noticed i was the slowest, even though my connection is smoking.

4. seven

seven New Member

what does that mean?

5. EthersFury

EthersFury New Member

Are you running a firewall software directly from your computer. FOrwarding ports means to work your way through the firewall to connect at full capacity. Have you tried letting the client sit and warm up for a bit. Usuaully torrents take a while to take off.

6. EthersFury

EthersFury New Member

I'm not too familiar with the way BitComet works. But I know if you use clients like Bittorrnado then you'll need to forward ports through firewall software. The other problem is you're living in the dorms so I'm quite sure you're behind a school firewall meaning there's not much I can do to help. You might need to talk to someone in the dorms, ask the network admin there dont say you're going to download, just ask questions about firewall protection. There's endless possibilities why you could be getting connection problems I and hopefully others will have to know the situation you're in fully.

7. seven

seven New Member

alright, i'll ask around, thanks for the help.

i just talked to the net admin...
    he's pretty sure the school caps biittorent in particular to save bandwidth...so i guess i'm stuck w/slow dl rate as long as i'm on campus.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  8. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Assuming you're not NAT'd (a lot of schools do this for dorm connections to save $$/security etc), try changing the port range your client is using (default is 6881-6889 I believe). Try something high up in the range and oddball like 61323-61333 and see if your rates go up. I've noticed that some trackers and/or clients seem to throttle download rate to a multiple of your upload.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yep, you need to forward ports on a router to get good speeds with BitTorrent. Being at a school, that it not going to happen...

10. samm

samm Next in Line

I would guess your school has a packet shaper designed to slow down torrent traffic. Forwarding ports if you are behind a router will not do anything if that is the case.

11. WannaZO6

WannaZO6 There are 10 types of people in the world, the one

VCU has a packet shaper, living in the dorms last years sucked. the only way to download at high speed was http and ftp. everything else (even IRC) sucked. I eventually set up a DC++ server for the floor and we were downloading shit from one another at full network speed, it rocked.

12. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Well, if they're only throttling 6881-6889, then merely changing the port settings on the client should bypass it. I recommended high port numbers because most NAT software uses them to map connections to clients. Throttling them would throttle desired traffic... Only way to find out the specifics of your network is to experiment.

13. rocklee

rocklee New Member

i have this same problem, and im not in no dorm but am behind a router...how do i change or forward the port settings or whatever?? high port numbers?? can somebody do a step by step??..need help :bowdown: