GUN Bitching about work (some gun content too)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, May 8, 2009.

1. I hate the fucking users where I work. It's a small company (~70 people) and I am the IT department. We have users here so dumb they'd starve to death if they got lost in a supermarket. Anyways, one of the biggest pains in my ass ran customer account statements for 896 customers... with the wrong statement cutoff date. Now, our operational software doesn't allow you to delete statements because they figure the 3 chances the user has to make sure they chose the correct parameters are enough. I guess not. To delete these things I have to go through 4 tables in SQL and copy and paste ID numbers to select the data to delete. Working fast, it takes about 1 minute per statement. So, 1 minute x 896 statement = 14.9 hours, assuming I work constantly and average 1 per minute. So, now I'm writing a stored procedure to hopefully save me from this hell.

Gun content... my A-Max bullets shipped from Midway for my .223AI project finally, and my wait time on my primer backorder from Cabelas is down to 1-2weeks!

Commiserate with me about dumb people you guys have to work with.

2. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

Select * where user = 'moron'
    delete

3. It would just be quicker to delete everything in that case.

4. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I told MG about this several weeks ago. I just got a new job, but when I was going to school I worked as a part time receptionist at a real estate company. We got a new microwave in the kitchen and one of the agents came up to the front desk.
    "Do you know how to open the new microwave?"
    "No. Is there a button you push?"
    "No, I didn't see one."
    "Can you just pull the door open?"
    "Yes, but it's kind of hard."
    "If you can open the door that way, then that's how it opens."
    "Oh. I thought there might be some sort of trick."
    ":ugh:"

5. pyite

pyite Member

I am a Windows Admin so I have to deal with the morons (1st and 2nd tier Support) that deal with the idiots (end users).

Sometimes I just want to disable their accounts and go home.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Some undergrad marketing douche-bag tried to tell me that he was going to be making $100k plus right out of school, and that he was going to "learn iPhones and start his own company because programming was easy (he made his own website, which was his basis of comparison).

7. I made a website with html when I was in 6th grade. By that logic, I should be well over $1mil a year now.

8. Crossett

Crossett New Member

One lady asked me to come look at her mouse because it was acting funny. She has a corner desk that is kind of small and has 2 extensions that sit next to each side of it. She had the mouse pad on the crease between the desk and the extension and the ball in the mouse was hanging up on it. I moved the mouse pad 3 inches and walked away without saying anything.

9. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

People still have mice with balls? I figured everybody would have gone Eunuch by now.

10. Crossett

Crossett New Member

My company is fucking cheap. The lady in question is working with a 500mhz Pentium 3

no I didnt miss your reference to chopping mice balls off

11. I've had more than 1 call because someone couldn't get a document to print. I go over to look for what's wrong, and the printer is turned off. In one of the cases, the printer was a little label printer that was sitting on the woman's desk. When it's turned on, a big, bright blue light on the front of it glows.

12. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

IT crew :wavey:. Only a few hours left dealing with the idiots for the week.

Really wish I picked a different profession most of the time.

13. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

I used to work with this big fat fuck that would leave his nasty ass gloves on the counter next to the microwave. This guy was so fucking fat he waddled.

I got sick of it one day and stuck his gloves in the microwave for 60 minutes.

It stunk the whole shop up.

He never left his gloves there again.

14. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I have to support some of the stuff I build for in house testing and most of the time I just walk down and flip the power switch on and walk away. It gets really irritating trying to build something simple to help these people test and they still cant keep it working.

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl:

16. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

IT department here too! Well, for one more month.

17. TankedOutSuicide

TankedOutSuicide These aren't the DJs were looking for...

Yeah I hear ya man. I've been in the I.T Industry for 'bout 8 years now an users arn't getting any smarter.

18. Whew, finally figured it out. Rather than writing a stored procedure with a cursor to do this all automatically I wrote one where I'd have to still look up each customer's ID number, but it would do everything after that. Still, that would suck and take a long time, and I've never written anything with a cursor that has actually worked. So, I wrote a query to select the records that I'd have to delete, then copied all their ID numbers in column format. Then, paste them into Word and merge the cells to make a big list. Then, find all the paragraph breaks and replace them with commas. Then use WHERE IN () with the comma separated list I made. That allowed me to batch delete what I wanted to get rid of.

19. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

cascading deletes > you

20. Que?

21. sprite

sprite Active Member

Good job bro. Your hour of hard work has freed up 13 additional hours of browsting time.

22. I know! I was really concerned.

23. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

i'm not IT crew, so i'll comment on this.

once your order goes to 0 weeks, it'll just roll back to 2-3. have a good one! :wavey:

24. :wtc:

25. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I work in Infrastructure Support (fancy way of saying Helpdesk/End-User Support) so I can feel your pain. I'd regal you with horror stories from the front lines, but I'm afraid it would only exacerbate things.