Bit Torrent ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Yanick, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Yanick

Yanick Guest

I saw "Bit Torrent" in a couple of posts on OT. In the context in which it was used, I guess it is a p2p client.

I'm just wondering if any of you who use it could tell me if it's good to download mp3, it is better than kazaa ?

Thanks guys

2. Scn64

Scn64 Guest

It's somewhat like a filesharing program in that you depend on other people to get your files, but it's also different from many programs such as Kazaa and WinMX. First you have to find a torrent file for the particular file you want. One good site for finding torrent files is (http://www.suprnova.org). Once you've gotten the torrent file, which is extremely small and quick to download, you can start downloading the actual file you want by running the torrent file. You are then downloading the file from people who have a higher percentage of it completed than you and you're uploading to people who have a smaller percentage completed. One of the bad things about bittorrent is that once people finish their download they will often times close the download window. In order for everyone to finish their downloads there needs to be at least one person with the file 100% complete (known as a seed) that still has their bittorrent running. Otherwise you will get to a point where you can no longer download anymore because no one else has a higher percentage complete than you. To answer your question, I haven't ever used bittorent to get mp3s but if you're at all worried about getting in trouble with the RIAA I would recommend finding a different method of downloading them. Bittorent makes it very easy to see who is downloading what and I have heard of other OTers getting in some trouble with their ISP for downloading illegal content from bittorent.

3. Yanick

Yanick Guest

Thank you for those advices scdc

4. fyp619

fyp619 New Member

i got in trouble :wavey:

5. ArcticND

ArcticND Guest

I just got bittorrent from a friend do download :nono:, and it's alright, except for my 1mb cable connection does me no good while I'm pulling files at .8kb/sec... however there are 9 seeds with it, so at least I'm pretty sure that it'll be able to finish. Good write up on it too scdc :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2004
  6. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

:wtf:

7. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Forward the correct ports in your router and you'll do better.

I typically get 200-250kbps..:dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2004
  8. Aznpho

Aznpho Not Currently in Use

what do u mean by forwarding the correct ports on my router? how do i do that?

i have a WRT54g linksys wireless router

9. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Call me crazy, but I think some consistency in the refusal to encourage/foster piracy would be beneficial to these forums.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  10. El Santo

El Santo Guest

is there a link to abc?? i remember seeing it yesterday, but had to leave before i could d/l it

11. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'd have to partially agree on this one - bittorrent by itself isn't illegal, it's how you use it. Bittorrent was originally designed to release linux and it makes a lot of sense to do it that way since the software designer doesn't have to use up his bandwidth for distribution.

12. issanni

issanni Member