Bit Torrent speed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Boosh Dag, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

When ever I use a bit torrent I find after about a half an hour of downloading my download speed slows to a crawl and never goes back up. This happens even when I dont lose seeds or peers. Is there anything I can do to keep the speed up?

2. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

Try a different client? :dunno: I use Azureus. It's a resource hog, but it works with OiNK and aside from being bloated, it does seem to work well. You could also try some of the other clients (Transmission, Tomato Torrent). There are a few others as well. :dunno:

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

transmission has never given me a problem...
    worth a shot?

4. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

thank you sir, ill shop around. :)

5. DjShiznit

You may also consider configuring your router (if you have one) or your firewall software to open the ports that your client uses. go to http://www.portforward.com/ note your IP address, click on "Port Forwarding" near the upper left corner of the screen. Select your router make/model, then find the torrent client that you're using, and follow the instructions to open the ports. Maybe that would help?

6. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

:werd:

portforward ftw. My download speeds are always really high.

7. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

In my travels on the internet to figure out how to speed everything out I found out that I am actually not on my roommates network because the wirless router isnt even hooked up. I'm on the unsecured network that is either upstairs or downstairs from me. Because of this i cant figure out what kind of router I'm on and when i try to log into the router IP address that page is passworded even though being on the network isnt...is there anywhy to get past this pasword so I can open up some ports?

And a total side note, the eject key right by my delete key...I'm about to tear the fucking thing out because i hit it so much. I havnt been able to find anyway online to disable it, and changing my F keys to FN+f# doesnt work because its next to F12 not actually f12.

Thanx guys, fucking love this site.

8. DjShiznit

Well if you're going through someone else's router, and it's password protected when you try to log into it, I dunno what to tell ya. My only suggestion would be to get your roommates network set up and go from there

9. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

the router password and user name were set to the default: admin admin... life is grand!:naughty:

10. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

change it :mamoru:

11. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

If i did I doubt they would ever notice. I'm thinking thats a sure fire way to get noticed and blocked out from it though.