bit torrent problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bullettobinary, Aug 3, 2005.

1. bullettobinary

bullettobinary New Member

im in the dmx and have port forwarding set up and these are my speeds

[​IMG]

wtf?!

edit im in the dmz, not dmx, but ill leave dmx in there because its just funny that way

2. bullettobinary

bump... no ideas?

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

There are a number of possiblities
    The main one that come to mind is that fact that you've got as much as anyone else has, meaning that someone with the full file, set of files, isn't sharing.
    I've had this happen a few times

You are only talking about the 2 torrents that have stopped, and not the one that moving at a crawl at 1k/sec, right?

If you're in the DMZ (or dmx as you like to say) then setting port forwarding is reduntant.
    Also check to see if you have any software firewalls running, like XP's firewall.

4. bullettobinary

i was referring to all 3 torrents.. i was getting speeds of 100kB/s but now they're all averaging at about 10kB/s. i turned off windows firewall and that seems to have helped some... but it still seems absurdly slow.. maybe thats just bit torrent these days.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

it fluctuates. if the torrents are too new or too old not enough people are d/ling or seeding

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If you have your ports forwarded correctly and the speed is still slow, it's most likely an issue of seeders and leechers as said above.

You can also try to throttle your download speeds to maybe help a little bit.

I use Azureus and when I download, I limit the uploading to 6 KB/s and leave the download limit at 0 = unlimited. I seem to get better download speeds. If your client supports that, play around with it and see if it helps.

I also use a program called BT Engine when downloading that also helps to get my speeds up.

7. bullettobinary

bt engine helped quite a bit, thanks for that

8. bullettobinary

well no, but family guy certainly is, and i was getting 1.2 kb/s

ps what newsgroups do you reccomend.... ive heard a little about them

9. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Just because you can download files at, let's say, 400k/sec that doesn't mean every server can offer you that much.

Let's say that most people sharing on BT (or any other P2P network system) can share at 50k/sec (their upload speed). So you're conencted to 1 person to get a file but he is also sharing files with 9 other different people, then each person is only going to 5k/sec.
    Get the idea?

10. bullettobinary

true, but with nearly 1000 people sharing, i should hope for more than 1kb, or bit torrent is useless in my eyes.

11. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

A 1000 or 10000 or even 1,000,000 people sharing on BT doesn't mean jack if only 1 is sharing the file you want.

You can do to MajorGeeks.com to and download a program and choose from usually at least 4 mirror sites that also have the same file. But you can only go to ASUS.com to get BIOS updates for an ASUS mobo.