A&P Bit the bullet and bought a new camera

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EvilCartman, Feb 18, 2004.

1. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

Bit the bullet and bought a new camera *56K nah*

After seeing some awesome pics being posted here, I found myself wanting a better digital camera than what my Olympus D-490 could offer. So last week I ordered up a Canon G5 from Beach Camera :bigthumb: Sorry, no pics from it yet that are worth posting. The ones I did take are just point and shoot stuff learning how everything works ;) Very pleased with the quality of it so far though :big grin:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  2. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

Please post some pics with it when you get the chance. I'm considering the G5 or the A80 from Canon, but cannot make up my mind.

3. gubment cheese

gubment cheese New Member

another Indiana resident not able to decide between g5 or a80...

4. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

Sure, I'll try and take some pics tomorrow... wont be anything fancy though ;)

5. Danno

Danno Bronx Poodle OT Supporter

Not looking for anything fancy, just want to see what kind of pics it takes for everyday use. :bigthumb:

6. gubment cheese

gubment cheese New Member

that camera = sexy. I want one bad now...

7. Ash. Housewares.

Ash. Housewares. Shop Smart

8. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

Just got back home from taking a little drive up to the lake. Screwed up by having the ISO still at 200 from when I was playing with it earlier in the day. :wtc:
    I'm by no means a pro or even a good amature lol I bet some 5 yr olds could take better pictures than me :o

Tried to rush up to the lake before it got too dark but it got dark quick. These are both 15 second shots on the tripod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screwing around durring the day shots
    [​IMG]

friend's truck that still needs to be finished off.
    [​IMG]

cherry tree out back taken through a window
    [​IMG]

So you wanted some everyday shots, I'd say these are it for me :rofl: I'm truely impressed with the camera over my old Olympus (which I sold today) Difference in everyday shots is amazing to me, so much clearer. Going to a river tomorrow afternoon hopefully so I'm going to try and take some pictures there. :bigthumb:

9. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

Played around with it a bit more tonight in between parts changing.

Just some bits in their holders on the cart.
    [​IMG]

Here's what the part is going to end up looking like, sitting on a granite surface table.
    [​IMG]

Lastly, just a pic of the CNC running ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  10. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

Lake pics look sweet dude

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Is that your personal CNC or is that where you work? What part is that in the second to last picture?

Oh and your shots look awesome so far :bigthumb: I wish I had the cash for a G5 :wtc:

12. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Oh - and that truck is bad ass! :eek3:

13. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

The CNC is at my dad's biz, I work at his shop. We have 2 HAAS VF2's and an old Tree CNC plus a couple of other machines. Small shop but busy as hell all the time, I keep the machine running through the night to get stuff out quicker hehe. That part, I'm not sure what it's for.

Took some more pictures today at the river :) Where I went is famous for the Dogtown Nugget, 54 lb gold nugget that was found in 1859. There's gold mines all over the place here, one on the side of the road was full of water from all the rain but you can go in it durring the summer months.

Here's a small bridge that goes over the river.
    [​IMG]

On the bridge looking downstream.
    [​IMG]

Again, on the bridge looking upstream.
    [​IMG]

Here's a 1600x1200 picture untouched

14. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

damn, those shots are stellar :eek3: I just bought a used Fuji S602 and I don't think it can hold a candle to those ... I am jealous of you having a G5 and getting to work with CNC machines all the time :wtc:

15. EvilCartman

EvilCartman Durrrr

Had a look at a review of the camera you have, the sample photos look too soft for me :hs: Think I'll be holding onto the G5 for a while hehe. Ah, working with the CNC... 1 job with 650 parts I ran paid for the camera and still had money left over :hs: Too bad that one comes in only once in a while.

16. fd

fd Guest

You should look for a secondhand canon g3 on ebay.

The g3 is exactly the same except it's 4 mp instead of 5 mp but the g5's sensor is the same size as in the g3 so the pixels are more crammed together leading to more noise in the images and effectivly you end up with pictures that have to be shrunk to the same size as the g3's pics to get rid of the noise.

So alough I don't think the g3 is a better camera, I think it is easily equal to the g5 in terms of useable quality and can be had for much less money.