LGBT Bisexual men sue after disqualified from gay softball group

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by DouggieJ, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Three bisexual men are suing a national gay-athletic organization, saying they were discriminated against during the Gay Softball World Series held in the Seattle area two years ago.

The three Bay Area men say the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance in essence deemed them not gay enough to participate in the series.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Seattle accuses the alliance of violating Washington state laws barring discrimination. The alliance organizes the annual Gay Softball World Series.

Beth Allen, the alliance's attorney, said the lawsuit is unwarranted and that the three plaintiffs "were not discriminated against in any unlawful manner."

In any case, Allen said, the alliance is a private organization and, as such, can determine its membership based on its goals.

Whether the alliance is public or private will likely have to be determined in court, since the plaintiffs characterize the alliance as a "public accommodation" that's open to the public and uses public softball fields.

The three plaintiffs — Steven Apilado, LaRon Charles and Jon Russ — played on a team called D2 that qualified for the 2008 Gay Softball World Series, which is organized by the alliance.

The alliance's rules say that each World Series team can have no more than two heterosexual players. According to the lawsuit, a competing team accused D2 of violating that rule.

Each of the three plaintiffs was called into a conference room in front of more than 25 people, and was asked "personal and intrusive questions" about his sexual attractions and desires, purportedly to determine if the player was heterosexual or gay, the lawsuit alleges. The alliance has no category or definition for bisexual or transgender people in its rules, the plaintiff's attorney said.

At one point during the proceedings, the lawsuit alleges, one of the plaintiffs was told: "This is the Gay World Series, not the Bisexual World Series."

The alliance ruled the three men were "nongay," stripped D2 of its second-place finish and recommended that the three players be suspended from participating in the World Series for a year, according to the suit.

The men are asking for $75,000 each for emotional distress. They're also seeking to invalidate the alliance's findings on the men's sexual orientations and to reinstate D2's second-place World Series finish.

"This case is just about treating everybody in the community equally ... and not interrogating folks about whether they're gay enough to play," said Melanie Rowen, an attorney for the National Center for Lesbian Rights, which is representing the three men.

The men also are asking the court to toss out the alliance's rule limiting the number of straight players on each team.

Hypothetically, that could mean a team of all-straight people could form, but "it would be extremely unlikely for that to happen," Rowen said.

The alliance was formed in 1977 and now includes more than 680 teams in 37 leagues across the U.S. and Canada, according to its website.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011657770_lawsuit21m.html

:roflwtf: :mamoru:

2. novo

novo Pokey Man OT Supporter

whether they're gay enough to play

:rofl:

3. CrackSeed

CrackSeed OT Supporter

pussy ruins everything!

4. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

Interesting, indeed... Thanks!

5. Abomb

Abomb New Member

You would think gay people who are advocates for equal marriage rights and being treated as equals would not discriminate against bisexual or straight men but yeah...............extremely hypocritical IMO.

6. novo

novo Pokey Man OT Supporter

the league has responded

http://www.nagaaasoftball.org/

7. CoCo

...wow.

8. beez

beez New Member

I wonder whether transgendered folks would be allowed to play and if so under what circumstances.

9. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I guess us bi guys aren't good enough for anybody. Too gay for straight people, not gay enough for gay people.

10. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

i dont see why they were disqualified... everyone knows bisexual is just a label to help gays take baby steps out of the closet.

11. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

hmm, we need to come up with an offensive slur for bisexuals

12. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I've always been pissed off at the assumption that bi guys are just gay guys afraid to admit they're fully gay. I don't see what's so hard to believe about me liking both women and men, I'm just greedy, I want everything. I like both the clean, gentleness of women, as well as the tough ruggedness of guys.

If I have sex with another guy, the social stigma is the same whether I fuck girls too or not, so I dont see any reason for a gay guy to claim hes bi but not admit he's fully gay. If anything, I think more "bi" guys are actually straight and just pretending to be bi to get attention.

13. CoCo

I always refer to Bi's as Bikes, since anyway can ride them...:x:

14. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I'm just wondering how they actually tell. Do you have to have never had sex with a woman ever before, or is there a certain number of times allowed? Do you have to sign a contract in blood that you will never have sex with a woman in the future?

Question 5: If your dyke friend wanted you to help her get pregnant, would you:

a) do it the natural way
    b) use a turkey baster
    c) only do it through a licensed medical facility
    d) say "no wai biatch!"

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  15. CoCo

LLS

I would probably say A. The dyke would probably say B. In compromise, this hypothetical situation would probably require C.

16. Bib-Lettuce

Bib-Lettuce New Member

Give ém pictures of naked women and stare at their penis intensively while holding a pen waiting to tick a yes/no box?

17. philvia

philvia SUCKIN ON MY TITTIES LIKE YOU WANTIN ME CALLIN ME

:rofl:

18. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

actually not far off from a real test that can be done. A few years back i saw a specially staring John Barrowman (Dr. Who), who explored various scientific methods to determine what made him gay.

During the special, one of the things he gets done is have is brain hooked up to electrodes, while watching a series of straight and gay erotic images. As certain chemicals are released when aroused, certain parts of the brain show intense activity.

It's actually a great special, and i highly suggest you watch it

[y]m27Awmlgi38[/y]

19. CoCo

...by using a devise called a penile plesmograph.

20. Tom Ford

Tom Ford OT Supporter

you're a bottom, you're not bi :rofl:

21. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I would think the bi guys would play softball better than the gay guys because everybody knows the gays can't throw.

So, I would think they'd welcome the players. Probably win more games.

22. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

:bowrofl: at not gay enough to play SOFTBALL

23. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

*refrains from pitcher/catcher joke*

24. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

If anything I'm more skeptical of bi tops, what's the point of swinging both ways when you can get everything you want from just one gender?
    When I'm feeling more dominant, I like sticking it in a woman, but when I'm in a submissive mood and want to be the one recieving the sex, a woman can't really fill that need.

25. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

not true...she's just not as good at it :p