birth control

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by alovesopure, Feb 13, 2007.

1. alovesopure

alovesopure New Member

i've been on depo-provera for about 2 years, give or take a few months.. (im 19 now)
    i've got an appt to get my next shot tomorrow. my ex and i just recently broke up, so i don't see myself having sex as often anymore.
    im wondering if i should get off of it, because 1, its expensive, 2, its bad for you, i know not having a period at all can't be very good.

but im worried, am i going to gain a bunch of weight if i quit it? i didn't gain any at all in the last 2 yrs, i actually lost weight. will my hormones be crazy, am i going to get a period for months at a time?

the reason why i chose the shot in the first place is because the pills made me too emotional/they were too strong i guess

whats the lowest hormone/best pill in your opinion?

2. fray

fray New Member

I can't tell you how it'll be for you (because my circumstance was comletely opposite), just how it was for me.

I was on Depo for a year, bled continuously, got extremely dry, and gained weight while on it. When I quit, I really didn't notice any change in the weight, but everything else went back to normal.

You might have some new pill options now (assuming you last tried 2 years ago). The patch is new I think, so is the 3 mos shot, and I believe some of the lower dose BC pills are as well. I would talk to my doc if I were you, just to see what would be best. I'm not sure that not having a period is detrimental to your health.

The best pill/BC method for you is very personal and you really need to talk to your doctor about it. It may be a trial and error thing a little bit to see what works best for you with the least amount of side effects.

3. alovesopure

alovesopure New Member

i bled on and off for the first year, it seems like whenever i'm super stressed out ill spot a little, but nothing serious.

4. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Im on Yaz, I love it. Much preferred over any other BC pill I have tried. Period last 3 days, and its so light, its great. Its also low dose. Discuss your concerns and preferences with your MD.

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Feel free to stop into the birth control sticky to look at other options too :)

Personally, I have heard that weight gain is a side effect with Depo, but I don't know if you would gain weight getting off of it (I've always heard the opposite).

Why not look into a different type of birth control? Just because you aren't going to be having sex as often as before doesn't mean you shouldn't protect yourself ;)

6. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

:werd:

I went through kinda the same issue and I decided that staying on the bc would help keep me optomistic about the future and getting over my ex :)

7. tropic of carnage

tropic of carnage New Member

Stay on some method, its just a good idea! I really like the bc pill i am on now, very light, dont even notice it, just lightened my periods like crazy (1or2 days now, the BF is happy about that!)
    Personnally im on Alesse, but theres lots out there, the shot is pretty scary, and avoid the patch (a lot of new problems arising lately)
    Anyway as everyone is saying go talk to you doc, they are the trained ones!

8. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

Definitely talk to your doctor. I'm on Yaz and so far think its great :) It's one of those low-dose ones and haven't had any of the possible side effects (the typical ones they always mention) yet!

9. demosnat

demosnat New Member

Im on Seasonale. Its great...you should look into it if your looking for a new form of BC. very light periods, inexpensive, and it hasnt made me insane/fat etc.

10. magik

magik New Member

i am currently on depo, i've been on it for the past 5 years. I rarely got periods either, ended up once every 6-8 months but it's really not going to effect anything.

i never gained weight when i got on it, never gained weight when i got off it either, same with hormones.

everyone is different and like it's been said already in this thread, the best way to find out what is best for you is to discuss it with your doctor. there are so many options out there right now.

11. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

You should stop the depo unless you are not able to use any other forms of birth control. Everything I've read says that you should not be on it for more than 2 years because it causes you to lose calcium in your bones, which can lead to osteoporosis.

12. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Links to this stuff you've read? I've been on depo ~ 6 yrs. I always ask my dr (everytime I'm in for my annual) if there are any complications (I usually only as about complications with getting prego later on) and he always says no....

13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/depo_provera.html
    You might want to read up on the shot. It CAN affect your fertility.

14. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

WHOAH. Thanks alot. I really had no idea. This especially worries me b/c I have always had a calcuim problem (My teeth are like marshmellows) and my grandmother has serious osteoperosis problems. I'm def. going to have to have a serious talk with my dr about it....

My only problem now, honestly, is that I'm terrified of actually mestruating again. I know that sounds lame, but shit, I havent done it in 6 yrs.....

15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

That would be scary to me to be honest (not having a period in 6 years). I'm one of the weirdos who believes that having a period is healthy and a woman should have at least a couple a year. :hs: There are other types of birth control (such as Seasonale or the hormonal IUD) where you have very few periods per year. Maybe look into one of those? :)

It would be worth it though for you to read up on other websites about Depo and long term side effects. Depo already has lower conception rates (after stopping it) than other types of birth control. http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/sexual_health/ssc/depo.htm
    This site mentions the FDA, so here's the link to the FDA warning about Depo http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ANSWERS/2004/ANS01325.html

16. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

It was def. scary at first - the "releif" associated with getting your period is nice, but you get over it after a while... and I cant say that I've hated not having a period :)

What I'm really upset is that my dr. made NO mention of this Black Box Warning you linked to. I went on depo WAY before it was issued but I consider my dr. a pretty good person and would have thought that he would have atleast mentioned it to me, being that at the time it was issued I'd been on this shit for 5 years or so.

I think I'll probably look into one of the Seasonale-types with the 4-periods a year thing. IUD's funny enough, are the things that scare me, first b/c I dont like the idea of having something plastic inside me that I cant (personally) get out and second, one of my girlfriends just got pregnant while using one.

I'm going to have to time this right though, if I were to start my new bc after I'm supposed to get my next shot (end of March) I'd be due for a period sometime around my final exams!!! I cant imagine PMSing for the 1st time in 6yrs and having to worry about that too!!

17. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

To the OP - sorry for kinda hijacking your thread...if you decide to get off depo - let me know! I'd be greatful to hear how it goes for you, and what other bc you choose (if you decide to stay on something) considering I'm thinking of doing the same...

18. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Google "depo calcium" and there will be lots of links about it. Unforuntaly you can't always depend on doctors to give you the right info, it's always best to research things for yourself too. I had a dr try to put me on paxil once and I told her there was no way in hell I'd go on it after seeing the huge amount of stories about people going through a living hell trying to stop taking it. She actually tried to convince me that people never had any problems when they stopped taking it :ugh: