Birth Control...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by OFI, Sep 27, 2006.

1. OFI

OFI New Member

So my gf and I have sex alot using condoms, she isn't on the pill nor injection. I haven't spoken to her about it but it seems a little odd as her friends are all on some kind of birth control.

Tbh I don't know too much about the pros and cons of birth control if it was me I know I would find it a pain in the arse to take 'the pill' every day and it can be useless if taken improperly, when ill etc?
    So to me injection sounds like a winner all round so why isn't it as popular? (in my experience..) could my gf have other reasons for not having either?

I suppose the best way to know is to ask but if I do ask how should I go about it? as straight forward as "Have you considered taking the pill or having the injection?" or is there better ways of bringing this up?

The other thing is we have only been together 3 months does this seem like too much of a commitment at this early stage or the sensible option (she has had other boyfriends before I am assuming she has never had any birth control.)

No I dont want babies.

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Depo Provera can cause serious weight gain. Read about the side effects from it.

If you can't discuss birth control with her, you really shouldn't be having sex with her (no offense). Just bring it up when you're not busy having sex.

Condoms are hardly 100% and if not having children is a big concern to you, maybe you should think about doubling up on birth control. STIs should also be a concern.

Remember that Depo, the pill and condoms are NOT the only types of birth control out there!

3. fray

fray New Member

I had problems with the Depo shot. I bled for a year straight, got very dry and lost all interest in sex (that may not have been from the shot). I've heard a lot of people complain about problems from it. However, I think there is a once monthly injection now, and dthere is the weekly patch, in addition to all the oral meds...

edit: Yeah... I guess I did gain about 15 pounds when I went on it, and been there ever since...but I just went from 110 to 135 or something... so not sure if that was really the Depo, or just growing up. Started on it at 17, I think.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  4. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

Depo WILL cause weight gain (usually water retention mostly), and mood swings (wife was on it for 1 year).

5. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Yes, the shot has side effects that often seem to be more severe than that of the pill. Taking a pill everyday at the same time truly isnt that challeging. When you brush your teeth in the AM, or PM, set the cell phone alarm to go off every day at 8pm, take it then, etc. If this is really a big deal for her, she can try to patch, each week you put one on, off for the third week. She can also try an IUD. There are soo many options out there. After you 2 sit down and discuss the siutation, her best move would be to make an appt with the gyno and go over all the options that are best for her. There are side effects and personal preference in respect to all types of BC. Some women dont like the patch bc it irratates their skin, pulls up on the edges, some dont like the pill bc they get headaches, etc. Key for your girlfriend is to find the lesser of the 'evils' that works with her.

Simply tell her that you are not comfortable having sex with condoms as there is always a chance, and you do not want to risk both of your futures. If she doesnt respect that, then she doesnt respect you.

6. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

suggest going on Yasmin.
    my Gf has been on it for a little over a year, and the only side effects are bigger boobs and no more acne.

7. OFI

OFI New Member

I understand what you mean I just think it's a bit... easy? for me to just suggest she makes the commitment of using another kind of birth control before I myself know the pros and cons.

So now I see why the pill could be unpopular.. weight gain isn't a fun side effect.

Thanks for the answers :) I think i'll have a chat with her about it at least now I can understand a little of what it means for her to undertake any of the BC methods.