Birth control: Pill vs. Patch vs. DP?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by playful kitty, Jul 19, 2005.

1. playful kitty

playful kitty Cougar-In-Training

And by DP I mean Depo-Provera, you pervs. :mamoru:

Just wondering if I can get some of the other women on the board to respond to this. I'm considering going back on birth control, after a lousy stint with what was probably a low-estrogen dose Pill---made me feel horrible, and my libido has had a great rebound since I've been off it. Can you guys reccommend to me a suitable form of birth control that's not going to alter my body chemistry so much? I'm dying for some feedback before I visit the gyno again and explore more options.

:wavey:

2. 0nthesp0tsgirl

0nthesp0tsgirl New Member

I'd vote no on the patch. They fall off really easily and they're always dirty because as soon as you put clothes on, lint gets stuck on it. You should also look into the NuvaRing, it's got a super low dosage of hormones and you only have to think about it twice a month. I was on that for a little over a year before I switched to an IUD.

3. RedSoxGrl

RedSoxGrl This is not merely baseball, it's a way of life.

Why did you switch from the NuvaRing to an IUD? I'm curious b/c I hate the pill. I was considering DP, but that doesn't seem to be the right option for me. NuvaRing advantages and disadvantages?

4. Arditezza

Arditezza Dum spiro, spero

I've been on Depo for over 4 years, and was on it for the six years between my two children and I seem to be coping with it just fine. Some women find a little weight gain 3-6 pounds, and most women stop having periods completely on depo. I've liked that about Depo, and I like that I don't have to worry about it all the time. It hasn't really messed with my hormones, but I know a girl who said that it made her cramps worse. Honestly, I've heard more hormone issues with the pill than with Depo, but not a lot of women choose Depo. I've had six periods total in ten years, three after my first son and three after my second. I can't think of anything better, really.

Depo also takes a while 3-12 months to stop working after you stop getting the injections. I don't plan on having any other children, so that's a no-biggie for me. It's relatively painless, as they give it to you in your hip. The site is usually painful for a day and then it's fine. It has not decreased my libido at all, in fact it seems to have increased it a bit but I'm not sure that it's because of the freedom I have not to worry about it or the injection. Before I had my first child, I was on the pill and could never remember to take it at exactly the same time everyday (which is how he came into the world, actually) and I'll probably never stop using Depo as long as I don't have problems with it.

Doctors are thinking that long term use of Depo causes osteoperosis at the same rate as the birth control pill. So that's something to be aware of.

5. playful kitty

playful kitty Cougar-In-Training

[email protected]. :rofl: That would be annoying. Supposedly I heard they're supposed to stay on, even in water? So much for 'supposedly'.

I too want to know why you switched to an IUD. Is Nuvaring in the arm? I'm not really too keen on intra-uterine devices, as I have a tipped uterus and would prefer no more complications in that arena. :o

6. RedSoxGrl

NuvaRing is a ring that goes inside the vagina for three weeks, then you take it out for a week to get your period. I have heard good things - but want to know of any possible downsides....and get reports from people who have tried it. www.nuvaring.com.

7. 0nthesp0tsgirl

I loved the NuvaRing. The only real disadvantage is that sometimes the guy can feel it, or it will sit funny and you can feel it while having sex. You can take it out if this happens and leave it out for up to three hours, and you just have to rinse it in cold water before you put it back in. However, if you leave it out for more than those 3 hours you have to use a backup method for the next 7 days. Like the person above stated, it's a flexible plastic ring you insert into the vagina and leave there for 3 weeks. You take it out for one week and that's the week you have your period. Also for me, I started getting more emotional every time I took my ring out and felt the need to cry, but that was only the last 2 months I used it and I think it was because we decided we preferred to take the ring out more often while having sex.

The reason I switched.

With the amount of sex my SO and I have and the fact that we both hate using condoms, any time we left the ring out it was a huge disappointment. I was on the ring for about a year and a half and it only happened 3 or 4 times, but it got to the point where I wanted something else just because I KNOW I don't want kids anytime soon, if even at all, I'm 21 for reference. Since I'd been with my SO for over a year at that point, I decided to look into getting an IUD and found that it was a good choice for me, even though they don't normally put them in people who haven't had children because your uterus (where it sits) isn't as large. They also make sure you're in a committed relationship because you have a higher chance of delveoping PID when you have an IUD. I've now had the Mirena IUD for a little over a year and I love it. It's good for 5 years and actually has a higher rate of effectiveness than getting your tubes tied. I'm not 100% sure where I found that piece of info, I think it was in one of the pamphlets I picked up from Planned Parenthood.

I switched for something more permanent without sterilizing myself because as of right now I don't want kids, but 5 or 10 years from now, that could change.

8. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

out of all of them, the pill is best in my mind.
    the patch leaves this horrid sticky patch of black stuff on your skin for a long long time. think about it, the thing is waterproof... they aren't using bandaid sticky stuff for that thing... its practically superglued onto your skin... and I don't know about the rest of you, but i wouldn't want to fuck a girl with a sticky spot on her tummy that collects every hair that floats by.
    DP... well, you can't be a day late for the fucker, and you have to get an appointment and go to the docs... too much hassle.
    with the pill, just pop one everyday and forget about it.

just my opinion.

9. Eris

Eris Yes please

I was told with DP the "grace period" was a week. I was on it for for 2 yrs and never had to reschedule an appointment, but that's what I was told.

Other then that I've tried 2 different kinds of pills (TriLevlen - which was great for me and Yasmin - the work of the devil)

DP wasn't bad for me - little weight gain and no periods. However, the day after I got my shot I sometimes felt a lil off. Wasn't too much of a hassel to go in every 3 months for a free shot. Was easier for me then having to take a pill every day.

But what's right for one isn't always right for another!

I had people rave about how wonderful Yasmin was and it was SO the opposite for me!

10. Penny1484

Penny1484 cute but kind of evil

well i personally have only used the pill, but i have friends who have used DP and the patch after previously being on the pill. I've asked them both in the past how it compared to the pill. My friend on DP likes it, she gets her period very infrequently, something like every 3 months, maybe not even that. she also loves that she doesn't even need to think about it most of the time. she and her bf fuck like bunnies and she has yet to become pregnant (they've been together for about 2 years). however, she DID gain quite a bit of weight from it initially. she lost a lot of it, but there is some left that she pretty much can't lose because she is on the DP.

My friend who is on the patch has mixed feelings about it. Once again she likes that she doesnt have to remember it every day, but also hates how it gets dirty around the edges after a few days and looks gross.

As for the pill, ive been on it for years now and i have never become pregnant. I've switched with different brands because some had bad effects, but i'm happy with the one i have now and have been so for a couple years now. hope this helps some.:wavey:

11. RedSoxGrl

Thanks so much for all of this info. I know that I definitely dont' want kids now (if ever) but making a decision for even five years would be difficult for me. That sucks about sometimes feeling the ring, or having to think about taking it out each time you wanted to have sex. Hmmm...lot to think about. Thanks again!

12. RedSoxGrl

has anyone used the patch? i don't know of anyone...

13. 0nthesp0tsgirl

I used the patch. I got the 3 months they give you to try it out, and then you're supposed to go back and get more (you know, like they do when they start you on a new pill or something to make sure it's working for you) and when I went back told them I hated it and wanted something else. You have to change the side of your body you put it on or it'll make your skin raw and it gets dirty. I really hated it, but that's just me.

14. teo

teo . => ? => !

Low-dose pills didn't work for me. I take the Ortho-Tricyclen pills and they've been working for me for almost 6 years now.

15. copperkali

copperkali Mrs. Nicklk

I have had horrible experiences on any sort of birth control pill, so then I tried the nuvaring for about a week and it was the same old thing, so I had to take it out. I'm probably gonna get an IUD here in a few months.

16. RedSoxGrl

i actually did some research after posting that and figured it out! d'oh! that's sounding like a better and better idea to me.

17. RedSoxGrl

yeah, i wouldn't be able to deal with that. i just don't know who thought it was a good idea to come up with something like it....

18. copperkali

copperkali Mrs. Nicklk

Did you get your IUD at planned parenthood?....How much was it if you don't mind me asking?...I have been thinking about getting it and have looked into it a little bit, but I don't have insurance right now, and I know they can be expensive.

19. Tornado6

Tornado6 When the wind set down in funnel form and pulled y

I'm in the same boat. Low dose / mini-pills screw with my body (and my mind!) too much. I was mostly fine for the year that I was on the regular Ortho Tricyclen though.

Everyone's body is different. I've noticed that women on mini-pills and other forms of progestin only birth control have higher incidences of imbalanced feelings and vaginal dryness. The vaginal dryness can be overcome with a testosterone creme. Some women object to the ring because the hormones directly inside of their vagina increases the dryness.

The best thing to do, although it is very trying and you've got to be very careful about having safe sex, is to experiment with your doctor. Let her know exactly what your symptoms are each time. Go in for three month visits when you are on a new kind of birth control. Talk to her and let her help you find the best solution for your body.

The most fun part is that your body will change over time, after pregnancies, etc. So what worked for you three years ago may really screw with you now.

*sigh* I wish the only thing I had to worry about was remembering to carry a condom around.

I am personally off all pills right now, and patiently waiting for my dear, lovely s/o do get a vasectomy :mamoru:

20. 0nthesp0tsgirl

I did get it at Planned Parenthood, it was $400 and my bf split the cost with me. I have the Mirena though, I'm not sure how much the copper one costs. The copper one also lasts for 10 years instead of 5, but the side effects are different and there is no hormones used. The Mirena uses a small amount of hormones.

21. 0nthesp0tsgirl

I actually noticed the opposite when I was on the ring...

22. JeanMi

JeanMi Artist* :)

lol too bad, it would be nice if DP was a mean of contraception :bigthumb:

"you know we have to do it for your own good"

23. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I hated Tri-cyclen. I spotted like hell on them and switched back to Cyclen. Magically, my skin cleared up and the weird spotting went away. Yay, life is good now!

24. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

I've tried Ortho Tri Cyclin, and I was always dry and it didn't lessen any pain/iscomfort, and it gave me mood swings, which I've never had. Then I tried Yasmin, and as was started earlier, it truly was the worst thing ever. I got the full range of side effects, nice chest pains (not breast, but actual chest pains, like when you have angina)...but I never had a problem with dryness. But still, that pill was definatly off my list.

I then tried a progestin only pill b/c obviously me and estrogen weren't mixing well with any of the combination pills I tried. The progestin only pill has been great to me thus far. I haven't had any side effects, have what I would consider half a period every 3 months, and I feel normal on it.

I would never do DP though. I'm not fond of injections, and I've heard many horror stories about moodiness from SO's & 15+lbs weight gain. It seems to be one that is hard to find people that can tolerate it. It also has a high rate of causing a decrease in bone density. This crossed it right off my list.

I had a friend try to get me to try the patch b/c I wouldn't have to worry about daily dosages. However, I use to hate the nice lint & dirt ring you can get around the edges of a band-aid, and I wouldn't have been able to tolerate having something stuck to me...in what I consider some of the worst places lol.

It all really depends on the person, but I'm one of those people who would say to try to find a pill you like first, b/c if it doesn't work for you it's easy to just stop. When you get a shot of DP you're stuck with whatever effects you get for 3 months; so it can be great for some, or horrific for others. Just my $0.02 :)

25. Pheanyx

Pheanyx Guest

I love the patch, it works alot better than these people are saying. Yeah, it gets a little line of lint from your clothes but a tiny bit of baby oil rubbed on it works great to get it off. And, actually, it you don't put somewhere that gets stretched too much, it stays on great until you take it off, and even then, it's just like taking a big bandaid off, no big deal. The only side effects I ever had was my boobs got almost a cup size bigger, which I liked because I'm not quite a B without it and my cramps weren't near as bad as they are without it. Plus it's great for the forgetfull type like me, or if you're busy.

After reading all the rave reviews on here, I myself am going to look into the nuvaring. Sounds like it would work great for me. Also, I've heard alot about DP and ovarian cancer. Thats just my 2 cents.