Birth control Pill question.. Any doctors?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by jared_IRL, Jul 2, 2006.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

My wife has been on the pill for a few years now. No issues.

The past two months, she's been skipping the 'sugar pills', and skipping her period. It was our wedding/honeymoon and all that....

So last week, she said she had some light spotting, despite still taking the pill as prescribed.

Tonight she got her period. Straight up period.

What the hell is that about?

I've googled, can't find anything. Her doc isn't in til Monday...

2. SxyLambdaLady6

SxyLambdaLady6 New Member

well i take yasmin and my doctor said that i could skip my period once and then have the next one and then skip the next one and so on so i wouldnt have to have my period every month, or like if there was sumthin special planned i could skip a period by goin to the next pack. but she never said i could skip 2 periods in a row. i dont think its healthy and her body prob got like messed up from that. i remember that the first time i skipped my period like the next time i had my period it was really heavy cuz i had skipped the one before, but when i did it again it was fine. is this the first time she does it? cuz it may be the reason. like i said, the first time i tried skipping my period the next time i got my period like, immediately after taking 1 sugar pill i got my period really heavy. hope i could help :)

3. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

you sound kind of hot. pics?

4. crazy15

crazy15 New Member

:ugh: how can you tell she is hot from a paragraph like that??

:io:

5. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

:gtfo:

jared_IRL, It's prolly because she skipped it more than once, and her body wasn't quite used to it. Should still check out with the GYN as it's a good idea. This happened to my wife as well, going from Depo (no cycle) to Ortho-Evera. She would skip it every other month, first few times her body flipped out. Being preggo is teh best BC of all :) No worries!

6. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

she uses "like" and "cuz" a lot.

7. SxyLambdaLady6

SxyLambdaLady6 New Member

lol ok i did say "like" 5 times but i didnt say "you know" at all u butt :hsughw:

8. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Not every woman can skip periods via BC pills. Every body is different. I am on Yasmin...tried to skip a month...ended up spotting for like 3 weeks and then when I did get my period the following month, it was a disaster. My sister, a GYNO, is also on Yasmin....and is able to skip periods for months.

Different folks, different strokes.

9. spd18x

spd18x New Member

i'm not sure which brand of BC pills my girl is on, but she skips the 'sugar' pills for the week she's on her period. her mom is a nurse and told her this is okay to do. i'm skeptical, and dont know if its a good idea. is this really ok to do? are the pills actually placebo, or should they still be taken?

10. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Some people feel that having your period is natural and shouldnt be messed with every month. Pills like Seasonal only give you your period every thing months and doctors right scripts for it every day. Taken from the Seasonal website "When you take the Pill, you don't ovulate. This means your ovaries don't release an egg, the lining of your uterus doesn't build up, and you don't get a menstrual period. Instead, you get a "Pill period" that happens when you stop taking the active birth control pills. Because you're not ovulating, there's no need to get a period every month."

The sugar pills are indeed just placebo pills. They are suggested to be taken in order to have that constant uninterrupted schedule of taking a pill each and every day at the same time.

Regardless of if you are taking your BC pills back to back(if you are on one dose BC pill only), or if you are taking Seasonal, you are keeping hormone levels up to bipass the pill induced period. But I personally would rather take Seasonal as its purpose it to skip periods for 3 months at a time.

It really depends on the belief of the person taking it.

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Doesn't this only hold true for certain types of pills? There are two types (if I remember correctly) monophasil and triphasil pills. You can't skip the "sugar" pills on the triphasil pills but you can with the monophasil pills.
    Check with your doctor before you quote me on that one though.

12. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Sugar pills are sugar pills, no matter what the brand. Just there to keep the habit of taking it daily...just that, habitual.:)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I copied the entire article but please specifically see the red and blue highlights.:)
    http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35326/351282.html?d=dmtHMSContent&k=wellx8124x35326

14. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

I thought you were referring to the sugar pills. Yes, you are right. Only with the mono- thats why I specified in my post:

;)

15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:o I didn't see that part. Sorry about that!

16. LikkleBaer

LikkleBaer New Member

Most forms of the pill cause the lining of the uterus to thicken, so really it's a good idea to allow a break at least once every six months to allow the body to clear itself out. The idea of the pill is to mimic a regular cycle, mess with that and it can upset things... but then, so can stress, and a number of other things. The menstrual cycle is heavily influenced by emotional and situational factors. I wouldn't worry about it, it's a nuisance not the end of the world.