Birth control (not using plan b ;) )

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by hyper, Sep 28, 2008.

1. hyper

hyper Member

So my girlfriend is in her mid thirties so she is very against using the pill as birth control. She says the ring bothers her, so we are left we just a lot of sex with condoms ugh. We had a bit of a problem so we had to use the plan B option, so no sex for a few weeks now(tends to cause yeast infections). I want to get my girlfriend to use some kind of birthcontrol, condom free sex is probably one of the great reasons to have a long term relationship. Am I unreasonable to talk to her about reconsidering some other form, or is this a common thing women not wanting the ring or the pill?

2. weakone

weakone New Member

what does being in her mid thirties have to do with going on the pill as her form of birth control?

3. fray

fray New Member

I'm nearly 30 and I've been on and am still on BC pill, and plan to continue on it until I no longer need pregnancy prevention.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You can only talk to her so much about getting on BC. Does she say why she's opposed to the pill? I don't see what being in her 30's has anything to do with it.

If she refuses to get on BC and you don't want to use condoms anymore than prepare for a baby or find another woman :dunno:

5. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

I guess the responsibility might be a turn-off when it comes to taking the pill - since you need to take it at the same time daily.

I've been taking it for 2 years now. I'd love to just get something that lasts longer without having to worry about it so much (IUD, the arm implant, etc), but I've become accustomed to the pill for now and probably will wait until my next Dr. visit before going to something else. I plan on using birth control of some sort until the hubby is 30 (when he says he'll get fixed).

The ring I've heard can just get annoying. My friend who used it said that it would come out a lot during sex.

6. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I understand your plight. I refuse to use hormonal birth controll too and my SO hates condoms. We use Nonoxynol-9 (spermicide) or the sponge instead. Is she willing to try that?

7. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

Lucky Penny, can you explain your reasoning behind refusing to use hormonal birth control? Is it a health issue? I can see if hormonal BC fucks up your system but if that's not the reason.....

Same question to the OP. What's your girlfriend's reason for not wanting to use the pill? If it's hormones fuck up her periods, Plan B is going to do a number on her as well.

Just sayin'.

8. Lucky Penny

No damn kidding! You'd probably be better off with a low dose pill than a mega shot of hormones (if you make plan b a regular thing)

Sure, I can explain. My mom has had an estrogen dependent form breast cancer twice in the past 8 years. Being that she was under 40 when she was first diagnosed and considering the type and reoccurance of the cancer, I am at high risk for the disease. I also get severe migraines, so bc pills with estrogen are not even kind of a good idea for me.

So, after trying a few different versions of the pill that were progesterone only and not really liking any of them, I decided to try the depo shot. Which, in short, made my joints really sore, boosted my migraines up to 4 times a week (and Imitrex shots ain't cheap), gave me osteopinia (common side effect) and I gained 40 lbs. I've been off the shot for 2 years and I still don't have my period back on a regular basis. Thankfully, the migraines and joint pain dramatically subsided after about a month of being off that crap.

I've seen several gynos since- some tell me to just forget hormonal bc all together and some that want to put me back on to get my hormones back in "working order." I'm a pretty big believer that fighting fire with fire only creates more fire, so I stear clear of the hormones and stick with the sponge. :dunno:

FYI though, the sucess rate of the sponge and nonoxynol-9 aren't nearly as good as the pill. If you're really looking to prevent pregnancy at all costs, you should probably find another option. I think the diaphragm has a better sucess rate, but you'll want to google that one to be sure.

9. kiri

kiri New Member

how about the shot (depo provera)? is she planning to get pregnant sometime in the near future?

10. Lucky Penny

There are also non-hormonal IUDs, but there are some pretty specific requirements for that. Maybe she could check that out.

11. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

I always wondered how you get the sponge back out when you're done.

12. ChaCha

ChaCha Active Member

sounds like she wants to get preggers

her biological clock is ticking

13. Lucky Penny

There's a little ring on it. You just reach up there and yank that bad boy out. :rofl:

14. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

so do you feel the ring when fucking? seems odd.

15. Lucky Penny

I don't. He says he can feel it sometimes when we're in certian postitions, but it doesn't seem to bother him any either :rofl:

16. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

i knew a girl who didnt like the way birth control made her feel and she didnt like the way condoms felt either, so they always had unprotected sex. 5 abortions and 3 pregnancies later, she finally got her tubes tied. i cant imagine that 5 abortions and 3 pregnancies felt better than the pill would

i have been on the pill for...5 or 6 years now. i took a little break from it about a year ago and felt amazing, but i would rather not have a child right now, so i'm willing to suck it up

find out why she is against it. and if she still refuses to take anything, you better wear a condom, or be ready to welcome a baby

17. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:eek3: HOLY SHIT! That is fucking disgusting.

18. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

i was actually friends with the babies dad, not her (thankfully) but he was just as idiotic for going through with it when he KNEW she was getting pregnant.

getting pregnant on accident...not the best situation, but you learn. having 8 accidents? no sympathy at all

19. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

what a dumb cunt.

20. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Sounds like a fundamental incompatibility.

Sorry.

One of my criteria for a woman is "must not be opposed to chemical birth control."

21. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I thought spermicide by itself wasn't very effective.

22. Lucky Penny

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the failure rate is somewhere between 10%- 20% depending on who you ask. Not fantastic odds if you're really trying to steer clear of pregnancy. But, it's better than nothing :dunno:

23. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

If she cannot bring herself to be responsible about birth control in ANY way (pill, shot, IUD, tubes tied, whatever), then you'd probably be better off without her.

No matter how much you think it is OK, it is stupid to shunt all the work and responsibility to someone else...the only person whose actions you can control 100% are your own.

24. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

You know what does have fantastic odds? :)

25. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

I dont believe its your innate right as a member of a long term relationship to have condom free sex. however, both parties have to agree to the bc form and stick to it. if she's not willing to hold the responsibility of being on the pill, or refuses for medical reasons, then that's her call and you need to move on.

Can we have more info about the chemical bc issue? would she be willing to have a shot, arm implants, or an IUD?

Warning about spermicides: they can increase risk of UTIs and are less protective of pregnancy than other forms, as Lucky Penny said.