birth control and depression?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by mstslk, Nov 30, 2009.

1. mstslk

mstslk New Member

hi, i need your help. im a teen and i was put on the birth control patch in march or this year and at first i loved it, i made me a little nauseous but i expected it because it was one of the side effects. but for about 2-3 months now ive been feeling way different. im normally this bubbly silly always happy person and nothing could ever get me down, well recently ive been feeling very nervous anxious sad and all these weird feelings ive nevr felt before. one of the side effects says depression but i didnt think it could be this serious. i have even had thoughts of hurting myself but i know i would never do that. my boyfriend and i decided that im going to take off the patch and see what happens, i was wondering from any other girl that has been on the patch if this has happened to you and what did you do? :ugh:

2. Deborah

Deborah Seeing is believing, but I don't want to know.

try another form of BC?

3. D7

D7 OT Supporter

definitely talk to your doctor

4. mstslk

mstslk New Member

the thing is, we got it from planned parenthood and my mom doesnt want to tell my doctor which is stupid and im never alone with my doctor and if i ask my mom to leave she will know something is up. but i think im going to tell my mom im going to tell my doctor no matter what and see what he says.

5. D7

D7 OT Supporter

You can go back to PP. They would be able to talk to you about your symptoms and advise you accordingly. Doctors are very understanding and want to help you find something that works for you. Your other doctor would not switch your bc for you.

6. mstslk

mstslk New Member

okay yeah i think ill go back and talk to them

7. Colleen

Colleen Active Member

I was on it for over a year and never had those symptoms, although everyones different. Talk to your doctor or PP about what your going through.

8. Hegemon

Hegemon New Member

yes, it's normal, it may also affect your libido. I imagine it must suck. sorry.

Presumably you can talk to your doctor, and maybe a different brand or dosage will make a difference. :dunno:

9. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

1. Go to planned Parenthood this week
    2. Describe the doctor your symptoms and request a new BC option
    3. If you drastically take off the patch do NOT have condom-less sex

10. mstslk

mstslk New Member

alright thanks, we decided to just take off the patch after this week and not go on any other type of birth contol because my body is stressed out as it is, and we are gunna chill with the sex for a while too.. hope it works out okay!

11. D7

D7 OT Supporter

and hopefully that works out for you

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

They put you on the patch? I thought most doctors didn't use that anymore and you had to specifically request it?

13. legit31679

legit31679 New Member

I went on birth control and had the same exact change in personality and attitude. I got the Symptoms from the ring and was depressed, worried, paranoid, and had thoughts of suicide after just 2 months. As soon as I realiZed I was the bc I instantly stopped the hormones. Went back to PP, told them and we realized the ring ( and possibly the patch too) gave off too many hormones for me to handle. I switched to a low bc pill and I'm back to my silly self!

14. mstslk

mstslk New Member

but is the low dose as effective??

15. Hegemon

Hegemon New Member

yes

16. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

GO BACK TO PLANNED PARENTHOOD

17. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

My wife's doc gave her the patch. She started on the pill, didn't work (literally..). Went to Depo, worked great but weight gain & bitchyness ensued. Been using the patch ever since with no issues.

OP.. go back to PP and talk to them. This is a internet forum...the internet is used for research..don't want to put your health at risk because John Doe said don't use it.

18. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

the patch made me depressed.. and it always melted off my skin..

Try switching to a different BC maybe try the ring.

19. Dahlia

Dahlia Active Member

I was told that the brand Microgestin, what I use, is the lowest dose of hormones so you might want to ask about that. I've been on it for years and it hasn't given me any trouble.

20. mstslk

mstslk New Member

alright thanks guys ive been off of it for two weeks and we already see some progress.. im staying off any kind of birth control for a while to let my body chill. well thanks for all your help.!

21. legit31679

legit31679 New Member

This is funny because after my terrible incident, I went back to PP and got new pills (the low dose) but I have been really reluctant to start it up again. I used to be so good about taking it at the right time, everyday. Now every couple weeks I make the "commitment" that I will start and then it just never happens.

I wonder if I am sub-consciously hesitant because of the emotional issues it caused last time.