Birth Control and Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by boxen, Nov 25, 2008.

1. boxen

boxen New Member

I've been on Yaz for over a year, and I'm also on a daily low dose antibiotic of Macrodantin in order to prevent recurrent UTI's. It's only 50mg/day, so my doctor says I shouldn't be too worried about it lowering the effectiveness of the birth control. Maybe I'm just paranoid since I've gotten pregnant in the past, but I still make my boyfriend wear condoms like 75% of the time, and he hates it. I hate them too, we're both clean, and I take the Yaz on a rigid schedule. Should we discontinue using the condoms? :dunno:

2. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

doctor's advice is probably good, but safe is safe and I don't think there's anything wrong with a little extra security. I just did some reading on primary research data and review articles, and it seems the impact of antibiotics on effectiveness is being overstated, and odds are you have nothing to worry about unless you're on drugs for tuberculosis.

How are you liking taking the daily antibiotic? if I get another one, my Dr. wants to put me on that, too. I'm glad to hear the advice your Dr. gave about effectiveness, because I'm on the pill and we don't use condoms.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i believe the Nuva Ring is antibiotic-proof. Don't quote me on that tho.

4. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

This is a personal choice. If you take the BC as prescribed, then there is a small chance of pregnancy.

And the Nuva ring is susceptible to breakdown of effectiveness due to antibotic interactions.

5. lauren

lauren Active Member

there's only one or two specific antibiotics that interfere...it's not the whole class of antibiotics.

6. Alaya

Alaya Active Member

yeah, that's what I learned too :mamoru:

I get semi-frequent UTI's, and the doc/pharmasist always told me to use other BC methods as a precaution, so I did. The last UTI I got, the pharmacist never told me that, so I asked - and he looked it up and apparently the antibiotic I was taking didn't interfere with my specific BC :dunno:

If the doc told you it was ok, I'm sure it is. He's a lot more qualified than the Vag to say so :o For peace of mind though, maybe ask him to look up the specific antibiotic your on and your BC. It should be listed if it can interfere or not.

7. boxen

boxen New Member

i looked it up online, and it said it's semi risky. but it also said that's for the full blown treatment dosage which is like 200mg/day as opposed to my 50mg/day.

8. boxen

boxen New Member

i really like it. i haven't had one in forever. i was getting them waaaay too often when my boyfriend and i first got together. but since i got so many, i learned a bunch of tricks to prevent them. sometimes not using a condom can cause a UTI if your partner doesn't clean his genitals before sex. i also take those AZO cranberry pills. no underwear to bed. no pads, only tampons. pee before and after sex. :rolleyes: such a hassle.

9. yankeeschick14

yankeeschick14 New Member

yeah I've made tons of posts about how to prevent them. I havent gotten one since I've been careful. I would fall into the trap of falling asleep right after sex, and that got me every time.

10. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

You're good. The antiobiotics shouldn't have any effect on the bc you're on now. There is a chance that the bc will reduce the effectiveness of the antiobiotics, but thats prolly not happening either. Since you're on such a low dose and its a preventitive measure anyway, don't even worry about it, you're fine.

There's your second opinion :o

11. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

:werd:

A brief conversation with your doc where you share exactly the concerns you've told us in this thread (in the same detail) would put your mind at rest and likely cost you nothing.