Birth Control Alternatives? v. effectiveness

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by 19Godfather86, Jul 16, 2006.

1. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

My girlfriend and I have been talking about her switching from the BC pill to some sort of shot or another form of birth control. We're both pretty paranoid people (Birth control + Condom), as we're definitely not ready for kids. Plus, she's pretty bad at remembering to take it on time, and so sex without a condom (which would be the eventual goal) is out of the picture, for both of us.

Now, I've looked at all the stats for birth control effectiveness, and any of the reasonably effective ones are between 97 --99% effective. The shot seems like the easiest one, to me, but only because the other ones involve inserting metal things or sewing things together.

Basically just looking for insights on this. Any experience with the shot? Other forms? Ease of other forms? Personal effectiveness?

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Personally I would never use the shot. I have heard too many horror stories of women gaining 20-30+ pounds on it, women becoming pregnant on it (A close friend of mine became pregnant and didn't know it until she miscarried), among other things.

I've also heard some women (although none in real life) say that they loved the shot and wouldn't consider anything else.

Has she checked into the Patch? www.orthoevra.com It has gotten some bad press recently as it has more risks associated with it than the pill but I love having something that I only have to remember once a week. I also don't have the same nasty side effects that I had with the pill.

Just remember that every woman is different and her doctor can help her find the right birth control for her.

3. notsousual

notsousual New Member

I keep hearing the same exact thing from women I know who use the shot...that they gain alot of weight that they can't loose until they go off the shot...which sucks, so I would never use the shot either. Be sure she's aware that whatever weight she's at now, she most likely WONT stay that way

4. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Why not? The shot is the only thing I can think of that weight gain is a side effect. It says in the pill packet (at least it did in mine) that the pill has not been associated with weight gain, contrary to popular belief.

edit: Unless you're talking about the shot. In that case please disregard my post

6. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

What sort of bad press has the patch been getting? My girlfriend has been looking into it over the pill so I'm a bit curious...

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Did you change your name? Yes I remember the thread. How's everything going with her now? What's she using now?

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:mamoru: No I don't remember that. Are you still with her?

10. notsousual

notsousual New Member

Lol yep I was talking about the shot...I never had any weight gain on the pill :)

11. notsousual

notsousual New Member

Yes I remember that....oh how I hope to never be one of the statistics...geesh

12. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Get an IUD. It is more effective than a tubal ligation, it is the most effective form of BC that isnt abstinence. Plus you put it in, and then dont have to worry about it or kids for 5 years! Many women also stop having periods while it is in, which many women also seem to be happy about.

My wife just got hers and so far loves it :dunno: I love it cause I dont have to worry about her missing a pill. And the hormones are at a lower dose, so I dont have to worry about her being all moody every few weeks.

Edit: The IUD I am referring to is Mirena. I think others exist, but they are being phased out.

13. MissMatch

MissMatch New Member

IUD is the most effective. You can have them in for varying amounts of time. I got mine for 2 years. A couple side effects nothing major. Stopped having periods alltogether eventually. Was always cold all the time :dunno:

14. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Thanks for the replies, Good info.

Also, any experience with this ring thing. Like, the ring that fits around the cervix? My girlfriend is thinking about it, now.

15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I personally hated it. I've heard other women rave about it though. It was too irritating (literally) for me. It's worth trying though.

16. page

page New Member

I've only ever tried the patch.. and I havn't had any bad side effects.. so I don't want to switch >.<

17. lick wid nit wit

The only problem with an IUD is that a lot of doctors don't want to insert it in a nulliparous woman because her cervix is too firm or so they say. Which is bullshit because it CAN be done, it's just somewhat more difficult.

The ParaGard IUD is still available as well, it's a copper IUD that can stay in place for ten years fort those who don't want a hormonal IUD or can't tolerate hormonal birth control.

18. ExquisiteImports

ExquisiteImports AZN

I used to be on the patch and it wasn't too bad. It's gotten a lot of bad press though lately like someone else said. I haven't had any problems though as far as I know. The only downside is that after awhile it sort of left a sticky residue kind of like a bandaid does after awhile. That and my skin around the area was ithcy from time to time. Surprisingly it did hold up rather well in water though.

I have a friend who used the ring and she said it was great for people who couldn't remember to take soemthing every day but that sometimes it would come out during sex. And I think that you can only put it back in after a couple hours or it's no good anymore so if you didn't notice it till the next day you had to go get a replacement one.

19. Hunter Michaels

Hunter Michaels The Real American Gigolo

Nothing is 100% at preventing pregnancies but the shot seems to be pretty close. I have been with several girls, and we relied solely on the shot. Two seemed to have no issues with it, but the first girl I was with had a hell of a time because her periods became irregular and lasted sometimes weeks at a time. It totally screwed her system. Like I said the other two had no issues and after about 3 years of solely relying on Depo, I am a huge supporter.

20. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

My wife was told that at Planned Parenthood and a few other clinics. Her gyno said they were all full of crap and she recommends them to EVERYONE that comes to her office. Hell my wife is small and she hasnt had any problems. Of course her gyno could be getting kickbacks from mirena for recommending it so often, but I think if her patients were actually having problems with them she would stop.

I think you just need to find a gyno thats a bit more educated on the subject instead of one thats stuck in the past.

21. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

This should be fairly obvious, but there is one thing that is 100% at preventing pregnancies ;) It's called abstinence.

22. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

As far as I know from speaking to my GYNO- the main risk with using an IUD previous to child birth is increased pain with the IUD as well as a greater risk of having it expelled. Both are documented, I suppose its just a matter of preference at the end of the day. There are risks with everything.

23. lick wid nit wit

Those are the greatest risks, yes. But every now and then, you get some asshole gyno who thinks they know what's best for you.

24. Hunter Michaels

Hunter Michaels The Real American Gigolo

wow, truly brilliant insight. how do you explain the immaculate conception? proof that abstinance is not 100% effective. :noes:

25. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

What the fuck are you talking about? Show me one case of immaculate conception without referring to fiction in the Bible. :squint: