Birth Control- affects libido?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Lovely Atlantis, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Lovely Atlantis

Lovely Atlantis Luscious Lovely Lady!

I noticed in another thread someone mentioned that birth control hormones can effect a persons sex drive. I was wondering if I could get more information on this? I've been on hormones since I was 14 years old (originally started taking them for reasons other than birth control). I was on tricycline until I was 17 and then I switched to Alesse (which is what i'm on now). I've never had a very big sex drive. I just don't seem to desire sex all the time or very often at all. I mean, I enjoy sex when I have it (usually 3 times a week... I'm married btw). But i'm never the one who initiates it or wants it. I wish I did! I want to be more horney! But it's kind of hard to tell if this is because of the pills or just the way I am because i've been taking them since I was so young. Are there any birth control pills out there which I could take instead that wouldn't do this to me?

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I don't think there is a type of hormonal birth control that doesn't really affect your libido (but I could be wrong). What about a nonhormonal type of birth control?

3. Gadget

Gadget New Member

Can BC have the opposite effect, and make a girl more horny?

4. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

happens all the time...

5. Jinx

Jinx Active Member

That's what happened to me. :dunno: Then again, my sex drive rivals most guys that I know.

6. MtroidPrncss

MtroidPrncss New Member

I don't think birth control really drastically affects your sex drive either way. It can affect it a little bit though. I noticed no difference myself.

7. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

that may be how you are effected...ive seen girls go from one extreme to the other. Everyone is different...

8. weakone

weakone New Member

My birth control (Mircette) has made my sex drive uncontrollable. I want to have sex, more often, more than my boyfriend does (or that's how it seems). It's a very low-hormonal birth control, too, because other ones that I have been on have either made me crazy (Ortho Tricyclen-Lo) or go through severe morning sickness (Lo-Ovral). But yeah, I love this one, and I love having my higher sex drive. My suggestion would be to talk to your gyno to explore your options, and talk about the effect your birth control is having on your body.

9. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

I have the same kind of problem with the low-sex drive. I think before I got on the pill I was sex-crazy (or maybe that was just because my relationship was new and exciting)... now, almost 4 years later, it's like nothing.

I, like you, enjoy sex when I have it, but I don't ever have enough drive to initiate. I've switched birth control 2 times already.... and neither has helped. Since I've been going to the "planned parenthood" like thing I know that fixing my low-sex drive is not high on their list of priorities...

It sure would be nice if it was.

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack. Sorry that I couldn't offer advice... I just wanted you to know that you're not alone.

10. MtroidPrncss

MtroidPrncss New Member

I know, but I've never seen anyone drastically affected, and even if you do notice your sex drive drastically changing after going on the pill, that's not necessarily the cause. It could just be that going on the pill (or patch) coincides with the first time you have sex, which makes you want it more, or one of many other factors.

11. Lovely Atlantis

Lovely Atlantis Luscious Lovely Lady!

hmmm... so what I'm getting from these responses is that the pill could do anything from increase my sex drive, decrease my sex drive or not change it at all... lol So who knows?? lol

Thanks everyone for the help. It's also nice to know I'm not alone (dreamdeamon).

Sigh... now what to do? I'm kind of scared to switch pills. But this gets me started thinking at least. I think i'll look up the names of some of those BCP that people mentioned here. Thanks everyone

12. Jinx

Jinx Active Member

I'm on Yasmin and love it. :dunno: It's expensive though ($45/month), and my insurance doesn't cover it.