GUN Birds cause hour long police stand off at walmart

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Apr 16, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jun 9, 2004
    No hostages, only birds at Wards Road Wal-Mart

Published: April 15, 2008

Lynchburg police thought a hostage situation may have been afoot when they set up a barricade outside the Wal-Mart on Wards Road Tuesday morning.

A customer had noticed the 24-hour-a-day store was locked, and had seen a person inside with a gun.

There were no hostages, however. Instead, an exterminator with an air rifle was helping reclaim a store that had gone to the birds.

“Wal-Mart had hired someone to go in there and take care of that bird problem,” said Lt. T.B. Lawton with the Lynchburg Police Department.

The small birds had been in the store for several weeks and prompted concern from some customers and the Lynchburg Health Department.

The store was closed for a couple of hours Tuesday while the exterminators worked.

But police didn’t get word of the plan, Lawton said.

Around 5 a.m. a customer came to the door of the Wal-Mart and realized it was closed, Lawton said.

Seeing someone inside with what looked like a rifle, “she of course immediately called us,” Lawton said.

“We set up as though there was a hostage situation,” he said. Police blocked the entrances to the parking lot for at least an hour.

When police contacted employees inside the store and learned what was really going on, they packed up and left.

Lawton was not on duty during the suspected hostage situation, and the police report he read did not list the time the barricade ended.

Steven Simpson, environmental health manager at the Lynchburg Health Department, said Tuesday he had talked to the Wal-Mart manager to confirm that the birds were out of the store.

“Hopefully that chapter’s closed,” he said.

Last week, Simpson had said that he was aware of the birds in the store. He said that it was “disturbing” to think of the birds being so close to food.

But he said it can be hard to keep birds from getting into the store, and hard to get rid of them once they’re inside. “They’re quick,” he said.

Wal-Mart spokeswoman Jamie Lamontagne in an e-mail, “Our doors are opened frequently and sometimes a bird might happen to fly in.”

“Wal-Mart strives to comply with all rules and regulations regarding animal treatment and will attempt to humanely shoo the birds back out the doors,” she said. “When necessary, we call the appropriate experts to assist in removing birds from our stores.”

Lamontagne did not say which pest control company did the extermination.

:rofl::rofl: So they waited an hour before they decided to try to call the store? And who the fuck goes to walmart at 5am?
  2. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Doesnt suprise me one bit. The cops chased a guy around a golf course across the street from a gas station i used to work at for 2 1/2 hours. They thought he had been suspected of shoplifting from the grocery store behind us and were trying to catch him. They finally stopped pursuing once he hopped in a river and swam to the other side. The funny thing is, right after he hopped in the river one of the pursuing officers radio'd in and asked the dispatcher what the manager at the grocery store claimed he had done. Nobody knew so they called the store and it turns out the manager chased the guy out of the store because of a personal matter, and wanted to kick his ass. A woman in the parking lot saw the manager running after the guy and thought he was a shoplifter and called the cops, which then turned into the 2 1/2 hour chase.

The funniest part of all of this was, like 5 minutes after they called off the chase, somebody called the PD and reported that the guy who was running was sitting in one of the car wash bay's across the river catching his breath, and the fucking PD wouldnt even drive 1/4 mile up the road to find out why he ran. They just said "fuck it" and went elsewhere.
  3. spankaveli

spankaveli Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 23, 2002
    an hour long standoff before they even attempt to make contact? :rofl:
  4. feetball

feetball New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    That shit would be fun to hunt the birds inside a walmart!!!
  5. s2k

s2k Active Member OT Supporter

Oct 8, 2002
    :rofl: thats pretty funny

"hello, this is agent smith, i'm the negotiator for the department, how can i help you resolve this issue? will you release the hostage and make sure everyone is safe?"

"oh were just trying to catch this damn bird flying around, you want me to let it go?...."

6. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Nov 7, 2005
  7. Burmonster

Burmonster Active Member OT Supporter

Jan 8, 2005
  8. Jake!

Jake! Guest

reminds me of last night's south park rerun

We'll give you one calf, if you give
    us... some guns and ammunition of our
    What? I, I can't do that.