Bird Sh!t + 115 degrees = problem on paint

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Run N. Gun, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Updated: Bird Sh!t + 115 degrees = problem on paint (not 56k friendly)

A couple of weeks ago I got bombed by 3-4 large circles of bird-crap on the way to work. It was a very typical hot day in Phoenix. That night, I get home and immediately washed the car, but the damage had been done. I pulled out the clay and PC and really worked the hood over (nearly bogging the PC down at 6000) and thought that I had cleaned all the etched splatters of crap. I was working under the flourescent lights in my garage and I really thought it had it all out of the paint.

Today, I'm walking outside to my car and notice in the sun at an odd angle that they are all still there. I worked my tail off trying to get the etched areas out of the clear coat, but obviously I didn't succeed.

I tried to take pictures but none of them came out well enough to see the etched area. EDIT: I finally was able to get clear pictures of the problem. see below.

I need help! I have Wolfgang Orange Pads, Werkstatt Prime for polish and a Porter Cable at my disposal. What else should I buy/do to get this out?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of the car for reference:
    [​IMG]

Updated pictures of the problem area:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

I don't think you have any other choice but to get it repainted.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

God that car's hot. Bump for Scott.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You might be SOL, bird bombs can etch the paint pretty deeply. Prime isn't very aggressive, you might need to bump up to something like Optimum Compound or Meguiars #83 DACP and see if that will work.

5. dirteemac

dirteemac hey, how are you?

Could a fresh coat of wax beforehand protect against this?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  6. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Believe me, the car is well maintained, with both sealant and wax. I did the car less than 3 weeks before the bombs were dropped. :( He's another pic of the front end.... [​IMG]

Scott - how aggressive of a pad should I use? I have Wolfgang's Orange (med. cut), White (light cut) and Grey (polishing). I considered Opt. Compound, but was concerned about marring the paint with it. I'll go order it up along with Opti-Seal, just curious if I should go with a more aggressive pad, too.

Thanks!

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Is this a joke?

8. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

?

9. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

No joke at all. I tried taking photos of the etched spots, but it is impossible to get a good pic of the problem areas. Easy to see in sunlight, but can't get a good pic...because of sunlight washing it out. Believe me, I tried.

The 2 pics I posted were before the bird bombs and just to illustrate that I take good care of my paint (i.e. it is sealed/waxed!)

10. Scottwax

OC and orange pad, follow with OP and orange pad, then with a white pad. Inspect in the sun to see if you need to polish down further or the finish is LSP ready.

11. dirteemac

A bird shit on my car a day or two after I waxed it with eagle one and I even let it sit there for a few days before washing it and it just washed off.

12. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Well, I live in Phoenix, and it was 115 degrees that day. Add to dark paint + parked all day full sun and you would have the problem I have. It really sucks.

Scott - huge thanks for the advice. That is exactly what I will do. I'll report back once I've done it.

13. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Update: I finally figured out how to take pictures of the problem area and they are posted in the first post in this thread.

Per Scott's advice, I ordered Optimum Compound, Polish and bought some Opti-Seal for good measure. Thanks to Excel for great service.

[​IMG]

After claying the hood, I used the PC on ~1200RPM with Optimum Compound. First pass didn't really phase the problem. Two passes later and really bogging down the PC, the etched birdpoop seems to be gone.

Interestingly, when I used the Optimum Polish on the front end, the pad became really dirty, dirtier than the pads used with OC. BTW - I love the ease of application of OP. Nice and smooth!! I polished the entire car, then followed up with Opti-Seal. Wow, this stuff is great and I am amazed at how little is required to do the whole car.

After pics (it had rained all night and the sky was still really funky, so I apologize for the lighting...today isn't any better either):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again SCOTTWAX for your help! :bigthumb:

14. dirteemac

15. Scottwax

:cool: Glad it worked. So hard to say exactly what to do without seeing the car in person but generally, Honda/Acura's somewhat soft paint means while bird bombs may leave some light surface etching, you usually can polish it out.

16. dirteemac

I need to get some of those products.