GUN Bipod accuracy?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Matt2000ss, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

Does a bipod really hurt accuracy? I've heard people say that it will cause the rifle to jump. Is that because the bipod keeps the gun from being able to recoil straight back? Are there not bipods that allow some back and forth motion.

2. Shooting prone with a bipod is certainly more accurate than without, unless you have some magically steady hands.

3. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Bipods usually improve accuracy

4. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

^these
    also having a decent brake helps alot too

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Perhaps the people claiming that bipods hurt accuracy were talking about the cheap barrel mounted ones? I have never heard of a properly used bipod decreasing accuracy.

6. sprite

sprite Active Member

Where they can really suck is with follow up shots, as I find they do tend to produce are more pronounced "bounce" than say shooting off sand bags.

I think that is part of the reason you see so many shooters at "tactical" long range competition shooting off their packs rather than bipods.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm by no means a huge bipod shooter, but if you guys are getting tons of "hop" and whatnot, it's because you can't/don't know how to shoot.

Get straight behind the rifle. Pull your favorite leg up towards your head a little to get your diaphragm off the ground, and put the stock of the rifle directly into your shoulder. Curl your weak arm under the stock and use your fist (which is against the ground) for elevation control. Lean into the rifle a little bit to "lock" the bipod forward. You are creating a straight line from the rifle, backwards. Now your entire body (and all frictions associated) are opposing the force of the recoil as efficiently as possible. Now you don't have to worry about "hop".

In short, your friends are idiots and don't have the proper technique. The only way a bipod would effect the intrinsic accuracy of the rifle is if it caused the stock to contact the barrel. At which point you should either bed and free float the barrel channel (and float that bitch like you mean it), or likely more preferable; get a stock that doesn't suck.

8. reman

reman New Member

Use a sling.

9. Still, proper prone position with your support hand in a fist controlling the rifle's elevation is more stable.