Bios Password

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 97gsr, Nov 2, 2004.

1. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

I think I have a bios password problem. Right when i boot up my laptop, it runs through the bios and goes directly to a password prompt. Even if I hit F2 and try to go into the bios, the password prompt comes up before i can do anything.

How do i get around this. i would like to reformat the whole computer or try to get into the bios or to ms-dos to try and get rid of the password prompt. i tried starting with a bootup disk but it doesn't go directly to my floppy and i can't get in to change it either

any ideas?

2. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

first question that comes to mind is.....why dont you know the password on YOUR bios???

so to continue im going to ASSUME its your computer :p

bypassing BIOS passwords is usually easier than you might think, all you need to know is what bios your running (version as well would help more), then on a separate computer with internet access, either go to the manufacturers website or do a search for default bios passwords/manufacturer bios passwords, ive seen several sites with all the backdoor (manufacturer placed) passwords for bios'....just do some looking andyou'll find one eventually

EDIT: another option is to crack the case, and pull the battery.....doing that will force the bios to reset to default

3. 97gsr

97gsr Active Member

figured it out. I just detached the cmos battery for a while and everything reset. And trust me, the laptop is not stolen. Its an old school laptop that i discovered while moving and just trying to get it to work.

thanks anyways

oh yeah before detaching the battery, i tried some the backdoor passwords but none seemed to work.

4. korrupshun

korrupshun New Member

thats y i added the second option ;) glad it worked