BIOS, Boot Disk, Win Drivers - v.External Drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekDragon, Dec 22, 2006.

1. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

I want to do the following by a USB 2.0 connection. Tell me which is possible and which is not possible with EACH of the following 2 peices of hardware. I'm hoping I can do everything using the External Hard Drive, but i've read some conflicting information regarding FAT 16 format requirements and some misc info on A-drive priority.

512MB Flash Drive Link
    80GB External Hard Drive Link

• Flash the BIOS on a fresh (newly put together PC) motherboard
    • Install any neccesary Windows installation drivers (probably not neccesary but i've heard of some problems with the jmicron southbridge.
    • Install Win XP, some diagnostic tools, and an anti virus suite for an emergency boot-up hard drive (obviously i'd need a bigger flash drive).
    Any help would be appreciated. I'm building a new PC in a week or so and i've got some concerns with the ICH8r southbridge's compatability and I may need to flash the BIOS. That and the fact that it only has one IDE port means I need a USB solution as I won't be putting a floppy in it.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

BIOS flashing can be done from any operating system, Windows, Linux, DOS...but when it comes to booting from a disk, floppies are still the only practical medium.

Windows XP Install will prompt you to supply it with drivers during its pre-install configuration. Have them ready to go on floppies also -- that's the only place the installer will look for them.

If you don't own a USB floppy drive, go out and buy one. There's still no substitute.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Even a USB floppy may not work. I had to reload XP on a Dell recently. I had my USB floppy hooked up, the BIOS saw it, and setup saw it when I hit F6 and told it to search the floppy. But after telling it which driver to load, it hung when trying to actually LOAD the drivers off the floppy. Good thing I still carry an internal floppy in the car or I'd have been stuck.

4. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

The problem is, as I stated, that this motherboard is an ICH8r with only ONE IDE port. That means if I my CD/DVD R/W plugged in I can't plug in a floppy to that port.

Now, Dues mentioned a USB floppy drive. Do modern motherboards detect those automatically during boot up (ie: you can set their priority)?

Also, my question was never answered as to whether or not a USB Flash Drive or USB Hard Drive COULD accomplish those 3 objectives.

5. deusexaethera

1. Yes, modern motherboards auto-detect USB floppy drives.

2. FLOPPY DRIVES DON'T USE IDE.

3. It's theoretically possible to create a bootable USB key or USB hard drive, but for the purposes of flashing a BIOS and loading drivers, floppies are much easier.

6. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Good news on the USB Floppy. Guess i'll just grab one of those and get the external HD (which I need anyway to transfer data).

Hmm, that's odd. I thought floppys were IDE. :o

7. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Ok, I did some extra research on using a USB Floppy Drive to install mass storage drivers during an XP installation. It turns out only certain USB Floppy Disk Drives will work. Here's the link to the Windows Support page on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196/en-us

8. deusexaethera

I have a TEAC model. When it comes to flexible magnetic media, go with the companies that have been making it forever.

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

No, they use a floppy interface which is a smaller, keyed ribbon cable and smaller connector. They absolutely do not use IDE.