A&P Binoculars question

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ElDude, Oct 22, 2004.

1. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Slightly OT you might think BUT, it has a photograhpy based reason behind it.

Reason for question:

From the back of my house I can see the mountains clearly (probably not mountains by people from the USAs standards, but mountains non the less). I've noticed over the years that when the sun sets, on the odd occasion there is a fantastic lighting effect going over the mountain side covering some houses. Also, it's normally in the winter when it happens a lot, or cold clear mornings at other times of the year.

Now, I've figured out that that mountain side is approximately 5 miles away, and not only that, but my dad has said that he has still got his SLR camera stuff (he used to be a semi pro photographer until he took up archery) and a zoom lens that could take photos of that area as if it was only a short distance away "easily". He's said I can borrow this while he's around at christmas time (yay!). Oh, and I can't go up to the mountain to take the photo as I'd need a platform about 600ft in the air :big grin:

So, that's the boring story out the way (you lot still awake?) so here's the question and reason. What sort of binoculars would I need to be able to see 5 miles away if I was wanting a view that was as if I was about 20-30ft away? I've never needed binoculars before, and want to get some ideas using my tripod and binoculars to mark up some shots, so to speak. I've seen some x125 ones for £149 and x150 ones for £299. Now, I've no idea what these magnifications mean in real terms, and I've been searching around for the last few days to no avail. Can anyone here help? I imagine it's a long shot (pardon the pun - oh god that made me laugh to myself :( ) but I've no idea where to ask!

Thanks for any and all help!

2. sirmark

sirmark HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

binoculars are not made to look five miles away. They are more or less good for a mile or under depending on the brand etc. However they do make higher powered binoculars etc and better quality as with anything. The 125x is the magnification the higher the power the farther you can see however if you dont get a very high end set it gets fuzzy and crappy looking. If you are just trying to get a look at things you might look into spotting scopes and im not sure how much you want to spend cuz i dont know euro :big grin: but if its just to take a look why not take a walk and save the cash. A good and i mean good pair of binocs will be around 500 or say zeiss or schwaravski but it doesnt sound like you need them more than to just look one time

3. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

Yeah, it's just to figure out picture angles. I've had a walk around and even been to the area as I know exactly where it is. There's a bridge just ouside my estate that has a great view of the mountainside, and also I can get a good but smaller angle from the two windows in the upstairs in the back of the house. The only thing is that if I buy something, I want it to be good for a range of things, as I don't like buying something that I won't use again or get a good range of use out of. As I'm planning on getting a digital SLR at some point next year the more info I get on items the better. I just didn't realise how little information there is out there. I suppose I'll have to try some retail outlets and see if they have any at a similar spec that I can try to see what they are like. Trouble is, knowing the miserable, untrusting gits around here, no one would do that. There is one shop that I can think of in a near(ish) city from here that might help me out as they stock professional stuff too.

I did see some that cost $14,000 the other day, but that's a touch outside my price range :big grin: