Bill Starr Help (I have read the stickies)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Pachanga, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

I have been a lurker here for a while, but I rarely post in FN. I believe the only times I have posted in the past was when someone had a labral tear which I also had a few years ago. I have read through the stickies and I have decided to give Bill Starr a try. I know that many people here have had good results on this so maybe they can shed some light on what is puzzling me. Basically, the first 2-3 sets of most exercises seem to be extremely light to the point where they don't seem like they would be legitimate working sets. Also, I don't seem to get even close to what my current maxes are for the first month or so of the program. As far as my background, I have always been active and I have been lifting consistently for about 7 years. Here are some shots of the Bill Starr program from Excel to give a little visual to what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To take bench as an example, my current 5 RM is 225 and my estimated 1 RM is 253 (which seems fairly accurate as I just got 245x1 a couple weeks ago and I figure I could MAYBE add 5 more to the bar total). With this program I don't even touch 225 for 5 until week 4 on Mondays and week 3 on Wednesday for a set of just 3. Also, the first few sets always seem to be extremely light until probably the second half of the 9 weeks outlined. I don't think I have even warmed up with less than 135 in ages, but a lot of the prescribed sets are much lighter than that. I was thinking of just skipping to week 4 or else just doing a little bit higher weights for the first few sets. Could some of of the more knowledgeable people here and particularly those who have done Bill Starr explain to me if this is a good or bad idea or if I should just trust in the program and do it exactly as prescribed? Thanks to anyone who even read the entire post. :)

CLIFFS: Starting Bill Starr. A lot of the working sets seem extremely light. Thinking of increasing weight on early sets or skipping to the 4th week.

2. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

just do the workout its setup like that for a reason

3. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

In my experience with it (done it for two stretches) 5x5 is a personal choice on how you approach it.

For very strict beginners the testing then percentages are good for achieving proper form and repeating that form over and over, despite the weight being light.

In my case, I felt like what I needed to take away from the program were A) The reps sets and exercises each day, and B) The intensity and drive to constantly be breaking 5RM each week.

If it was a good week and I felt like I had been making progress I'd add more weight than probably 2.5% was, just based on feel.

Sorry if that was too long, basically cliffs are just add weight on feel and listen to your body. Eat/Sleep as much as possible on 5x5 and good luck

4. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

Thanks for the response. That is basically what I was thinking IF it's ok to deviate somewhat. So it should be ok if I do a sixth set if I am feeling good after 5 or bumping the weights a little higher on the sets if I feel up to it. I definitely agree with you on A and I like that so many people have had good success on the program. I definitely want to tailor it a little bit to how I am feeling, but I didn't want to "mess with a good thing" if I started getting consistent responses to leave it exactly as is. :bigthumb:

EDIT: I'm not a beginner by any means, but I also haven't logged the time that a lot of the people here have. My strength is already decent for my size, but nothing amazing.

5. grimstone

its his first run though it might as well run it as its written before you go making changes. plus doing those lower weights acts as a deload if you do the program back to back and you cant start high and hope to get a long run of pr's in a row before you stall.

6. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

no. not a sixth set.

I just meant if I felt like my body could handle the weight bumps I wouldn't use the pre-arranged percentages. I still would follow the rep and set scehemes to a T.

7. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

I will give it a shot and maybe just increase the weights a little more quickly for the first few weeks. I just know the amount of work is a little low for towards the beginning. Thanks.

8. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

9. grimstone

10. Pachanga

Pachanga OT Supporter

11. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

sweet, thx guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.